Sponsored Links

Any Nildram users willing to recommend?

After having an awful past 6 months with PlusNet, we're deciding to jump ship to a new ISP. And Nildram caught my eye - some great reviews on the ISP Review site, and a tempting price of £22.99 for 2meg (fastest I can get in my area) with a 50gb fair usage quota - something I wouldn't get anywhere near (average usage with PlusNet was around 12-15gb, before they starting capping me. ¬_¬) so that's good.

I live in the Rugby area - only a couple of miles from the local Dunchurch BT exchange (I've heard distance from exchange affects service?) so hoping to recieve fairly good service.

I know the reviews on the site can't be everything, but try as I might I cannot find a bad word said about them! Quite promising...

Customer service is not usually an issue with us - we're quite a technically savvy family, and generally get our help elswhere from people we trust, so if customer service is not the best, it won't deter us too much.

So, yeah, anyone willing to recommend Nildram? What's your time with them been like? Any complaints?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Nildram

Is part of Pipex.

There were rumbles in the jungle that BT were looking at a takeover of Pipex to get hold of their Wimax licence. But that seems to have fizzled out.

See here

Nildram is part of Pipex, Pipex are relocating all the servers at the moment, speeds are down, as are pings
1 216-196-110-1.ams.giganews.com (216.196.110.1) 406 ms 4 ms 7 ms
2 g2-3-3975.cr01.hx2.bb.pipex.net (195.69.144.95) 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms
3 p0-0.cr01.tn5.bb.pipex.net (62.72.137.1) 8 ms 8 ms 12 ms
4 g3-25-6.cr05.tn5.bb.pipex.net (62.72.140.133) 30 ms 34 ms 51 ms
5 ae1-0.cr02.gs1.dsl.pipex.net (62.72.137.14) 8 ms 10 ms 9 ms
6 lon3-adsl21.nildram.net (84.) 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms

Yes that isn't a mistake, it does say 406ms.
Customer Service has gone all together, people wait half an hour to go from Queue to Queue and then get cut off. Generally people are Pxxxd off and are leaving. The majority of moans are about the speed (or lack of it).
The only thing good thing is their Voice Package, 500mins free 01 & 02 calls each month.
My Fault Thresehold & MSR are 288kbps and have not changed since Max went live at the Rugby Exchange. (There is another story - BT say I get 3meg line, but rarely got 2meg under max, so checked my neighbours phone number who also share the same pole and they get 6.5mbs!). Currently running a Dr TCP tweak and getting 3-5mbps.

The advice from a fellow Rugbian is go elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
I can recomend!

I emigrated from another server to Nildram... and so far no real problems. I am a high user and opted for Broad Band 2 it's a little more expensive than some of the others but I can rest assured I have no fear of running over the usuage alowance each month plus I get up to 8mps upload! So if you want a solid and so far in the six months I've been using it reliable isp I can recomed Nildram.

I would of recommended them in a heart-beat UNTIL, they became part of Pipex.

Service has been slipping since. Support lie on the phone to you about their new throttling of various protocols. Some are restricted to 640Kbits/second which is not on considering the prices they charge.

Try Freedom2Surf. Heard some very good things from people with them.

As Talon said, I would have recommended them (and did so just the other day) but now they've started capping Usenet downloads at ridiculously low speeds I'm switching.

The ONLY reason I paid their high prices was because of the service. Now the service is gone and I'm paying £25/month for the same service that I would receive from a £6/month ISP.

Don't go near pipex....

Don't go near pipex, they are the worst company I have ever come across. I'm currently trying to move as they are so slow.

Sponsored Links
Usenet has been down for about 1.1/2 weeks so far,

Rang the Nildram Support line on 01296-300 400 and got a strange sounding person who said he was in the UK and eventually said he was in Milton Keynes. This gentleman said he had never heard of Usenet and that Opal Broadband had no out-of-hours support although Nildram does.

He appeared not to have a clue when I read him the Usenet error message

"Error reported by Server: 481 Access Denied via @gotadsl.co.uk auth server."

Have been with Nildran since at least July 2003 and fear for the mindless moronic dumb-down Opal approach (have previously tried both their business and residential support to alert them to an Opal mailserver misconfiguration and discovered they really are totally thick).

Someone suggested Zen Internet so am considering a move. When Tiscali owned Nildram, Nildram still managed to provide a service but I understand the Opal deal is for everything to be branded 'Opal' and handled by semi-computer literate morons who literally don't have much of a clue about computers or the Internet. Who needs such hassle, such misery and such time-wasting stress ? As the Germans say "Nein Dank"

Company bosses want to make a fortune by giving the customers a cheap and shoddy service. Its the money they love not their customers.

Regards.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules