Sponsored

Any opinions on Claranet?

noobtard

Casual Member
Hi all I decided to get a new bt line installed in a shared house so I dont have to worry about other peoples crap ISP's, network problems etc and just have a reliable ISP on a single line.

My address seems to be less than 1km from the exchange and all looks pretty good.

Now I keep seeing a lot of bad reviews for demon, tiscali and I will never use bulldog ever. So I saw someone say claranet were a quality provider. I remember their service from the old 56k dial up days, they were pricey but good.

I just dialled their number and spoke to a human-being from UK in about 2 seconds. He said it was a 12 month contract, all tech support and sales are dealt with within UK etc so it appears to be the real deal.

Can anyone enlighten me any further if you have any opinions whatsoever about Claranet?

Thanks

Demon

Top Member
Not usre about Claranet, but I can recommend NTL, they've been good to me so far and the telly is cheap...

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Firstly, this is the wrong section for your post (should have been moved by the time you read this).

Secondly Clara.net is a good quality ISP, although they don't tend to do a good job of keeping up with the competition. Personally if you're thinking of spending the extra on Clara.net then I'd sooner recommend MetroNet or Zen Internet over them.

Craigy

Casual Member
Cannot comment on Clara for ADSL, but dial up is very good quality, with high speeds, great technical help, great customer services, OK-ish pricing. Generally really really good. I'd imagine them to great for ADSL. Have you considered Pipex for ADSL? I've been with them over a year now and have never had a single issue with them whatsoever.

Kommando

Top Member
Only go with 1 month contract ISP's such as Zen and F2S (maybe metro net?), if they have the guts to let you go after one month they have to be good. Pipex I would stay clear of, service is dire.

Draig

F2S is my current ISP, and an excellent service. High speeds constant. The only thing I will say is it is more of an "old skool" ISP (which suits me just fine) in that once your up and running you sort most things out yourself via the members log in screen (again suits me just fine). They leave you to get on with it.

Whenever I have had a query and needed to call them up the guys you speak to (UK people) are really knowledgable, efficient. They are top of their game.

It's a 1 month contract . Prices are good. The other thing is once you choose what price you pay they give you the fastest connection your exchange supports. In my case that is 2mb. When my exchange gets upgraded I will get 8mb for the same price as I am paying now (£19.99). They will check when you call them up what speed they can give you.

The only downside I can think of is that they don't have 24/7 phone support, but like I said you don't really need to speak to them much once your up and running. They got me up and running using a MAC code, in ONE day.

Avoid Tiscali at ALL costs, from sad personal experince.
Avoid any ISP that insist on a 12 month contract if at all possible. As has been said, if they are any good they don't need to hold you to a 12month contract.

Last edited:

Druidor

Casual Member
Been with Claranet for about 8 years now had 56k & DSL with them & I cannot fault them on the reliability & quality of the connections it is just a shame that tehy have not followed the competition & reduced there prices accordingly.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2194)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1237)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1071)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (856)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (578)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules