Sponsored

Anybody used bitdefender?

butler

ULTIMATE Member
Its anti virus time for me again (why do all renewals seem to be just after xmas lol).

I have used NOD32 / Eset Smart security for many years and have never had a problem touch wood and am considering bitdefender for a change as they seem to come out a bit higher in the threat identification stakes.

have any peeps experience of using this suite? and if so could you share them please.

I have a bit less than 13 days to make a decision as I will not renew on eset's site as it is normally cheaper to buy a new package.

truth4free

ULTIMATE Member
I used bitdefender a couple of years ago and back then it was more resource hungry than what i use today (which like you is NOD Smart Security).

That being said haven't tried it recently so ill also be interested what its like nowadays also.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I've heard nothing but good things about Bit Defender over the years but a lot of the recent AV reviews haven't included it so I'm not quite sure what it's like in the latest incarnation.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389266,00.asp

I'd really like to know more about how it effects PC performance and scan times vs the competing products but it's hard to find a reliable benchmark for that.

cyclope

Pro Member
I used it for several years, pre 2008 it was a good lightweight product, had uk based sales and support back then too, it's firewall was the best thing about it at that time, However from 2008 their products became more and more bloated, and many parts of their product failed to work properly and the support was not good to say the least, the 2008 products where not fixed until sometime in 2009,They did however end up giving me basically a 2 yr licence for the price of one, the most upto date version that i have used was Internet security 2010, that also sucked and was resource hungry , and would randomly lock my system up, resulting in me having to power off the machine in order to reboot it, until i was able to circumvent it's self defense ability

So if it started to go into it's regular lock up mode i could just kill it's main process with task manager,

I currently use Eset SS v5 also i had a problem with it using win7 ,
But after one or 2 remote sessions by the tech guy, who got the necessary data from the pc which got forwarded to the devs , some 2 weeks later i got an e-mail with a new driver file for eset for me to install in place of the existing one to see if that cured the issue and it did, support is uk based too with eset,,a rare thing these days ,

BTW i still have an unused sealed copy of Bit Defender Internet security 2009, 3pc 1 yrs licence, which i believe can be upgraded free to the latest version, by just contacting their Bulgarian or Slovakian support giving them the unused key ,

kansenji

Top Member
Following a recent "Computer Shopper" magazine review, I decided to try out BitDefender Internet Security 2012. Everything installed & worked well except that booting up my PC took ages and my PC and broadband access slowed down noticeably during automated updates of the software.

After a couple of weeks I was glad to uninstall BitDefender & reinstall my Norton Internet Security 2012 software. Every time I try out rival Internet security software it reinforces just how lean, speedy & reliable the current Norton packages are in comparison. They just work away quietly in the background, doing their work exactly as they should.

butler

ULTIMATE Member
Have to sy that overall I am pretty happy with the application so far!! It seems to have a pretty minimal footprint and I have not found my system to be any slower than when I had ESET installed....( I do have a reasonably powerful main box and quick connection) To be honest I would not have moved away from ESET if they had offered better renewal prices as I felt they were taking the proverbial!

Norton does not fill me with confidence based on previous experiences though I am aware that they have improved over the years.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
I am REALLY struggling to find anything light-weight enough for my netbook; even AVAST, which always impressed me, has suddenly turned into a sloth after the last major update.

In recent weeks I have tried out a LOT of the freebie AV and firewall programs out there, and so far only Private Firewall 7 has stayed on my system for more than a week; even on my 2.9Ghz dual core system, ALL of the AV programs show a BIG hit on system speed.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Netbooks do get a bit bogged down by AV software as the slower CPU and HD don't exactly cut the mustard. On the other hand I've put Microsoft Security Essentials on my old GigaByte Netbook and it's not too bad.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Although I have spare genuine copies of XP Pro, I am running TinyXP on my netbook, as it makes a significant difference to the system speed, so I dont know if MSE will work, as the M$ website says it will only install on a genuine OS.

Still, they always claimed WMP11 wouldnt work on XP, yet it does, ditto DX10, so I might as well give it a try.

The Atom cpu is the bottleneck as I have 2GB of Ram and a Patriot SSD installed, which until recently meant that it ran pretty much as fast as my desktop for most things.

Gabrielanicolao

Casual Member
I have start using the bitdefender Antivirus software few weeks ago and found it very effective in terms of security and privacy.

VCDStuff

I have start using the bitdefender Antivirus software few weeks ago and found it very effective in terms of security and privacy.
I tried that a couple of years ago and started getting regular BSOD crashes, which went away after I uninstalled it. Currently using Malwarebytes V3.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1425)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1037)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (412)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules