Sponsored Links

Anyone a Trooli Customer?

I had a read of the thread kindly posted by Pheasant and that llooks to be way above my capabilities!
Its fairly straightforward. Firstly allow the router to successfully connect to the service. Once its connected you can login to the router to get the PPPoE username and password:

1. Open a command window / terminal (e.g putty) prompt on your computer.
2. Connect to the router via ssh: (check the IP address of the router)
Code:
ssh engineer@192.168.1.1
The ssh password for the engineer account should be the access code written on the underside of the router.

3. At the engineer> command prompt, run the top command:
Code:
engineer>top

4. You can now extract the PPPoE username and password from the output of the top command listing the processes running on the router. You want to search in the output for the line with process for /usr/sbin/pppd and then along that bit of output should be, user xxxxxx and password yyyyy

Its fairly straightforward. Firstly allow the router to successfully connect to the service. Once its connected you can login to the router to get the PPPoE username and password:

1. Open a command window / terminal (e.g putty) prompt on your computer.
2. Connect to the router via ssh: (check the IP address of the router)
Code:
ssh engineer@192.168.1.1
The ssh password for the engineer account should be the access code written on the underside of the router.

3. At the engineer> command prompt, run the top command:
Code:
engineer>top

4. You can now extract the PPPoE username and password from the output of the top command listing the processes running on the router. You want to search in the output for the line with process for /usr/sbin/pppd and then along that bit of output should be, user xxxxxx and password yyyyy
Thanks for the detailed info!

For those that are on Trooli, am I right in thinking there is no IPv6 support yet and nothing in the pipeline?

Sponsored Links
any way of getting updated version of this. won't let me login via engineer or even admin account used to access via web. Still not able to view PPPoE password on the Technicolor DGA4134 router

I just received my router and haven't been connected to the network (next week..) but I had a play with the router and was able to get on to the engineer account with no problem. I wasn't able to see the credentials as I assume the ppp process is only running when it has a connection, maybe..

Either way, I was able to extract the details for fun in a less-simple way.

1. Create a linux VM, install PPP server, set it to authenticate with PAP not CHAP (plain text, not challenge/response, where you wouldn't see the password)
2. With an unused network interface, connect it to the red WAN port
3. Bridge that network interface to the VM
4. Run wireshark and analyse the traffic on that interface
5. Turn on the router
6. Wait a minute
7. Look at the packets captured in wireshark, bunch of PPP stuff, including plain text authentication request from the router

Attachments

• photo_2022-07-01_22-56-46.jpg
    photo_2022-07-01_22-56-46.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 270
I'm still waiting for the install, so did a bit more digging to make sure I'm ready. It was bugging me as the username and password seem generic, how they identify the user. I figured it was by the MAC address of the router and spoofed my router to use that MAC, but then came across something called "Host-Uniq". This is sent by the router with all the initial requests. I was able to extract this also from the same wireshack packets and instruct my router to send this also (Unifi USG-3P, if anyone wants some help wit this specific device).

Of course, this is still theoretical for me, but would be good to exactly replicate how the router does it's thing.

I'm still waiting for the install, so did a bit more digging to make sure I'm ready. It was bugging me as the username and password seem generic, how they identify the user. I figured it was by the MAC address of the router and spoofed my router to use that MAC, but then came across something called "Host-Uniq". This is sent by the router with all the initial requests. I was able to extract this also from the same wireshack packets and instruct my router to send this also (Unifi USG-3P, if anyone wants some help wit this specific device).

Of course, this is still theoretical for me, but would be good to exactly replicate how the router does it's thing.
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/f/4697756-adtran-621-ont-remove-isp-supplied-router.html

Things can get delayed, I got my order in back in July of 2022 when they started taking orders in my area. The network Still hasn't been finished to complete my order yet in my area. They are currently saying spring and offered a free upgrade to the next package up speed wise for my contract.

They will still be handily beating BT to the FTTP Punch in 2026 here.

Sponsored Links
I just got connected to Trooli today and I wanted to thank the people on this thread and summarise what I had to do to connect using my Ubiquiti ER-X router instead of the Technicolor DGA4134 provided by Trooli. The instructions 6 and 7 below are specific to the Ubiquiti Router but you will certainly find similar for other third party routers you want to use instead of the Technicolor

1. find the label on the bottom of the Technicolor and write down the characters next to ACCESS KEY. This is the password needed for a ssh session

2. start a terminal/Putty window and log in as engineer with the password being the characters found in 1. On a Mac,

3. type in "top" and [ENTER]

4. in the output, search for "pppd" and you should see a line similar the the below where your own PPoE USERNAME and PASSWORD will be available:

/usr/sbin/pppd nodetach ipparam wan ifname pppoe-wan lcp-echo-interval 10 lcp-echo-failure 5 lcp-echo-adaptive +ipv6 nodefaultroute usepeerdns maxfail 1 user USERNAME password PASSWORD ip-up-script /lib/netifd/ppp-up ipv6-up-script /lib/netifd/ppp6-up ip-down-script /lib/netifd/ppp-down ipv6-down-script /lib/netifd/ppp-down plugin connstate.so mtu 1500 mru 1500 plugin rp-pppoe.so gra​

5. Copy the USERNAME and PASSWORD values unplug the Trooli Technicolor router and plug the WAN Cable into your ER-X

6. log into your ER-X Router and run the wizard called Basic setup. Choose the PPoE option and enter the USERNAME and PASSWORD you got from the Technicolor (see screenshot).

7. Reboot the ER-X and you should be online at the speed of Fibre !!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 16.04.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 16.04.52.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 174
I'm surprised there is no Host Uniq extra info needed on recent connections but thats great, makes life much easier.

I have just joined Trooli and wanted to change-out their router for my own. I wanted to be as careful as possible and get the PPPoE username, password, host-uniq value and the WAN MAC address, in order to spoof it.

I was also getting a truncated `pppd` command line when using `top` from `engineer@192.168.1.1` so I set-up to follow what @mikeyb had suggested.

So I used my Linux desktop to pretend to the Trooli pppd server and it took me quite a while to get it working. I set a static IP address (I actually used the Trool address, taken from the router web interface) and did the following:

Edit `/etc/ppp/options`:

(by "turn on" I mean uncomment the line, and by "turn off" I mean comment-out the line)
- Turn on `auth`.
- Turn off `hide-password` and turn on `show-password`.
- Turn on `passive` and turn off `silent`.
- Turn on `+pap` and `-chap` and turn off `-pap`, `+chap`.
- Turn on `host` and set it to `test` and turn off `usehostname`.
- Turn on `persist`.

Edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

Add an entry for our `test` server:

```
fred test "*" *
```

Ran `pppd`:

```
pppd nodetach plugin pppoe.so pppoe-padi-attempts 9999 nic-enp6s0
```

I never did get anything other than `PPPOE Discovery` messages, but the router did tell me its host-uniq value:

```
Recv PPPOE Discovery V1T1 PADI session 0x0 length 25
dst ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff src a0:b5:3c:xx:xx:x
[service-name] [host-uniq XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX X] [PPP-max-payload 05 dc]
```

So converting the host-uniq value from ASCII Hex to text gave me the same value as the admin password and serial number that is printed on the label on the back!

So there doesn't appear to be any reason for anyone else to go through this step.

HTH

Interesting thread. I should have the option to get Trooli soon.

I don't mind what modem/router they supply but I do use a TP Link Deco X20 mesh system for my WiFi. I assume I can turn the WiFi off the ISP router and continue in AP mode for the mesh ?

Hi everyone.

Just found this post as am trying to connect an TP Link Mesh network (AX3000 using the X55 deco units) to my Trooli broadband.

I am complete tech novice when it comes to this so I hope someone could help answer some questions for me.

My apologies if they seem silly and I have already tried following the guidance as set out above.

First off, I tried connecting login as engineer to retrieve username and password via a command prompt (I'm on a PC)

It asked me for the password, but then wouldn't let me type anything!

Failing at the first hurdle it seems!

I saw kungfumonkey's response above saying that the password is printed on the back of the router but was unsure where to find my username.

I logged in as admin via my browser and under the section for internet access I found a box with a username in which was xxxxxxx@cfsbroadband.co.uk (the 7 x's are numbers)

Is this the username I should be using or do I still need to try and extract it using the engineer prompt (that I can't get working!)

The IP Link has an app that allows you to setup the internet connection.

I believe I should set the connection type as PPPoE and would then just enter my username and password.

Is this correct? Do I need to change any other specific settings?

Oh and final question - and perhaps should have been the first one - I presume I plug the ethernet cable from the fibre modem box on the wall into my TP Link hub? Sorry that sounds really dumb I know but I am lost here.... As you may well tell!

If I'm missing any detail with my explanation above, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules