Sponsored

Anyone a Trooli Customer?

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
I had a read of the thread kindly posted by Pheasant and that llooks to be way above my capabilities!
Its fairly straightforward. Firstly allow the router to successfully connect to the service. Once its connected you can login to the router to get the PPPoE username and password:

1. Open a command window / terminal (e.g putty) prompt on your computer.
2. Connect to the router via ssh: (check the IP address of the router)
Code:
ssh engineer@192.168.1.1
The ssh password for the engineer account should be the access code written on the underside of the router.

3. At the engineer> command prompt, run the top command:
Code:
engineer>top

4. You can now extract the PPPoE username and password from the output of the top command listing the processes running on the router. You want to search in the output for the line with process for /usr/sbin/pppd and then along that bit of output should be, user xxxxxx and password yyyyy

niceguy235uk

Casual Member
Its fairly straightforward. Firstly allow the router to successfully connect to the service. Once its connected you can login to the router to get the PPPoE username and password:

1. Open a command window / terminal (e.g putty) prompt on your computer.
2. Connect to the router via ssh: (check the IP address of the router)
Code:
ssh engineer@192.168.1.1
The ssh password for the engineer account should be the access code written on the underside of the router.

3. At the engineer> command prompt, run the top command:
Code:
engineer>top

4. You can now extract the PPPoE username and password from the output of the top command listing the processes running on the router. You want to search in the output for the line with process for /usr/sbin/pppd and then along that bit of output should be, user xxxxxx and password yyyyy
Thanks for the detailed info!

dot

For those that are on Trooli, am I right in thinking there is no IPv6 support yet and nothing in the pipeline?

mikeyb

any way of getting updated version of this. won't let me login via engineer or even admin account used to access via web. Still not able to view PPPoE password on the Technicolor DGA4134 router

I just received my router and haven't been connected to the network (next week..) but I had a play with the router and was able to get on to the engineer account with no problem. I wasn't able to see the credentials as I assume the ppp process is only running when it has a connection, maybe..

Either way, I was able to extract the details for fun in a less-simple way.

1. Create a linux VM, install PPP server, set it to authenticate with PAP not CHAP (plain text, not challenge/response, where you wouldn't see the password)
2. With an unused network interface, connect it to the red WAN port
3. Bridge that network interface to the VM
4. Run wireshark and analyse the traffic on that interface
5. Turn on the router
6. Wait a minute
7. Look at the packets captured in wireshark, bunch of PPP stuff, including plain text authentication request from the router

Attachments

• photo_2022-07-01_22-56-46.jpg
    photo_2022-07-01_22-56-46.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 43

mikeyb

I'm still waiting for the install, so did a bit more digging to make sure I'm ready. It was bugging me as the username and password seem generic, how they identify the user. I figured it was by the MAC address of the router and spoofed my router to use that MAC, but then came across something called "Host-Uniq". This is sent by the router with all the initial requests. I was able to extract this also from the same wireshack packets and instruct my router to send this also (Unifi USG-3P, if anyone wants some help wit this specific device).

Of course, this is still theoretical for me, but would be good to exactly replicate how the router does it's thing.

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
I'm still waiting for the install, so did a bit more digging to make sure I'm ready. It was bugging me as the username and password seem generic, how they identify the user. I figured it was by the MAC address of the router and spoofed my router to use that MAC, but then came across something called "Host-Uniq". This is sent by the router with all the initial requests. I was able to extract this also from the same wireshack packets and instruct my router to send this also (Unifi USG-3P, if anyone wants some help wit this specific device).

Of course, this is still theoretical for me, but would be good to exactly replicate how the router does it's thing.
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/f/4697756-adtran-621-ont-remove-isp-supplied-router.html

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4221)
  2. BT (3183)
  3. Politics (2152)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1998)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1872)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1632)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1400)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1302)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1252)
  14. Fibre Optic (1247)
  15. Wireless Internet (1246)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (926)
  18. EE (922)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules