Sponsored Links

Anyone a Trooli Customer?

Internatty

Casual Member
Hey,

I started an order with Trooli as it looks like they are finishing up the infrastructure here, but I am wondering if anyone else is a customer?

The sales team are telling me I am not allowed to use my own equipment (pretty sure Ofcom would have something to say about that). Also, it is against their policy to share auth details (errr) with customers. I have no idea how their connection is setup, so if any existing customer can share I can rate the risk of no being able to use my own equipment. I assume they install some kind of fibre NTE and present the connection as copper (RJ45) for router WAN connection, but for all I know they terminate the fibre directly on their router. Hopefully they auth on PPP or mac address, but who knows.

It's a steep install cost, so trying and cancelling would be expensive. They did say they could provide a bridge rather that router, but for that I would need to be on the business package and would cost me and extra 25 quid (ex VAT) a month. So from 35 quid (300 down, 100 up) to 90 quid (60 for 300/300 and 30 for bridge) just for using my own equipment. That's a 55 quid uplift.

I am fully aware that any support would require me to install their router, that's standard with all ISPs. I am a network engineer as a career, and even though I don't have much to do with carrier installs, I am competent enough to know whether a fault is with the line or my equipment.

Especially interested if anyone is with Trooli and uses their own equipment.

Thanks
G

A number of ISPs, like Truespeed and some bigger players, do tend you lock you into using their own routers. I assume that's what you mean by not being "allowed to use my own equipment"? The Net Neutrality rules technically say you can't do this, but they're taken more as guidelines, and Ofcom hasn't really shown a huge amount of interest in clamping down on this area of broadband provision. As an IT professional, that annoys me, but such is life.

I believe that Trooli's router for home users is currently the Technicolor DGA2231, which is at least a reasonably capable piece of kit, and it has a 1Gb WAN port too. So hopefully they don't restrict that side, and you'd then be able to adopt a two-box or Mesh WiFi approach to get around some of the limits.

Also, I found this, albeit referencing one of their older routers:

UPDATE:

I note they also seem to ship the Technicolor 4134, 4231 and Billion 8900AX-2400

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the info. I have a Ubiquiti setup at the moment (Dream Machine, APs, switches etc) and really don't want to swap anything out. I've pushed Trooli on the Net Neutrality side, but they've not budged yet. I'll probably cancel if they stick hard to that. I'm sure OR will get here sometime, 2026 at the latest.

Would be interesting to see if a tech has Trooli and has tried to extract auth creds in a backup or with a fake PPP server. It's probably possible, but with a £190 install I'm not keen to guinea pig that.

Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
The difference is probably that the Business product is against an SLA whereas the Consumer product is best endeavours. Appears to infer that Trooli may have high consumer ratios.

They would probably argue that they need to lock the router (including passwords) for security, network login and support.

BT is the best example of a restricting functionality in routers but at least you can still log in to see what's happening, control device access and turn off wifi.

This Trooli policy plus their install cost only works where they have a FTTP monopoly and surely it can't work long term.

Last edited:
Is it serious enough to warrant dropping a 300/100 fibre service and going back to FTTC? Or do you have other alternatives available to you, like Openreach FTTP?

The absolute worst-case scenario is that you'd uplink your existing router into their router, and you'd have double-NAT. It's clearly not ideal, but it would work. If that were necessary I'd be asking whether Trooli allow configuring inbound port-forwarding on their router, and/or whether they provide IPv6 and prefix delegation. I'd also want to know if they use CGN.

A better scenario would be that you disable NAT on your own router, and add static routes on the Trooli router to reach the networks which are behind your router. This of course depends on Trooli allowing you to make that config change on their router, but if they do, it's a pretty decent solution IMO.

A third option would be to take the AAISP L2TP service, which for an extra £10 per month would give you both static IPv4 and static IPv6. You probably wouldn't want to route all your traffic that way, due to the bandwidth and traffic limits, but it would be a great way to permit inbound access to servers on your network. Stuff like general web browsing could still go via the double-NAT.

From what you say, you almost certainly know all this already. But it might be of interest to others.

Hi,
I'm currently stable on g.fast at 150/20, so it's not all bad. No option for OpenReach (OR) in the area for the time being. Doing internal routing would need support on both my router (stupid ubiqiti don't have WAN NAT disable) and on the Trooli router (static routing). Also, I would be powering stuff I don't want to. Aversion to double NAT is that gaming suffers.

Hopeful Trooli relax their requirement. I'm getting the Sales rather than technical response.

As I understand it, their business product may be more flexible, so you could ask them about that?

Sponsored Links
I already have details of the business product. It would cost £90 a month for 300 symmetric (not needed) for the connection and the bridge. That's a £55 uplift to connect my own router. £30 of that is for a monthly bridge charge which they deliver as a Draytek router. Probably similar to a business NTE with a routed segment on the inner interface.

All of the above required just because they wont share PPP details with a customer.

Sorry, bit late to the party.

Am a business customer - can confirm it's done over PPPoE - Trooli will not give the credentials (apparently even to their own staff who have lines at home) but it's easily recoverable from the standard busines router.
Have never tried on the home product but I imagine it's similar.

Officially, it's not supported, but I've had no trouble and any time I've had a problem I've checked if it was present on their router and left this connected before calling (no service issues, was more down to setting up multiple static IPs when I was using that).

Sorry, bit late to the party.

Am a business customer - can confirm it's done over PPPoE - Trooli will not give the credentials (apparently even to their own staff who have lines at home) but it's easily recoverable from the standard busines router.
Have never tried on the home product but I imagine it's similar.

Officially, it's not supported, but I've had no trouble and any time I've had a problem I've checked if it was present on their router and left this connected before calling (no service issues, was more down to setting up multiple static IPs when I was using that).
How did you recover? Config backup or some web page reveal?

I guess worst case is fake PPP server and see what gets submitted.

A number of ISPs, like Truespeed and some bigger players, do tend you lock you into using their own routers. I assume that's what you mean by not being "allowed to use my own equipment"? The Net Neutrality rules technically say you can't do this, but they're taken more as guidelines, and Ofcom hasn't really shown a huge amount of interest in clamping down on this area of broadband provision. As an IT professional, that annoys me, but such is life.

I believe that Trooli's router for home users is currently the Technicolor DGA2231, which is at least a reasonably capable piece of kit, and it has a 1Gb WAN port too. So hopefully they don't restrict that side, and you'd then be able to adopt a two-box or Mesh WiFi approach to get around some of the limits.

Also, I found this, albeit referencing one of their older routers:

UPDATE:

I note they also seem to ship the Technicolor 4134, 4231 and Billion 8900AX-2400
Mark

Do you have a reference to (I presume) Ofcom's Net Neutrality rules re kit? This page is mostly about content access.
(Trooli have just started accepting orders where I live, but I'm very unhappy about their router rules.)

Sponsored Links
Trooli are in the process of building out to my town which has no other options but FTTC (and some Gfast but not for my estate) so I'll be following this thread with interest. I asked for feedback on them on thinkbroadband forum but no user responses so far. Would be useful to get real user feedback as I can't afford to keep two lines running just to be reliable. I also want to use a tplink Wifi mesh system...

I do know the recent trooli stories on here have poor feedback comments on problems with the installs so even if I bite (which I will probably do so as no other options apart for long line FTTC) I won't be cancelling my current service, until the new one is installed and working!

After Teeeeem's comment I bit the bullet and re-ordered. Glad I had cancelled and reordered though as there is twitter offer for £25 a month and free activation. I'm probably going to back it up with a 1 month rolling on Cuckoo. I need to migrate my phone number out to SipGate to cease the current line (for some crazy reason Sky, TalkTalk etc tie the account to the phone number so moving out the number ceases the account).

Trooli install isn't until April, so I guess I see how that goes.

After Teeeeem's comment I bit the bullet and re-ordered. Glad I had cancelled and reordered though as there is twitter offer for £25 a month and free activation. I'm probably going to back it up with a 1 month rolling on Cuckoo. I need to migrate my phone number out to SipGate to cease the current line (for some crazy reason Sky, TalkTalk etc tie the account to the phone number so moving out the number ceases the account).

Trooli install isn't until April, so I guess I see how that goes.
I have the previous version of the Technicolor router, the DGA4231.
With this one you can log in with Putty using 'engineer' as the username.
You then just need to find a 'top' command to use ;)

I came across this post today while I was trying to work out how I could use my Edgerouter X. I've set this up using pppoe on the wan interface now and it's running fine at the moment at 500/200 after enabling hardware offloading.

Re the service it's been great for the past 12 months. Haven't noticed any issues with bandwidth or latency.
Install was also fine but they just had to rod the fibre through an existing fairly new duct.
We pay an extra £5 a month for a fixed IP which is a bit steep though.

Exactly as “gman” said the PPPoe details are NOT provided by trooli (even if you ask for them)

It didn’t take long to recover them however, I initially tried using inspect element after logging into the router as an admin however the password is starred out.

Best way of recovering it is using SSH to login to the router using 192.168.1.1 and the username as engineer, then the password which is on the back of the router.

Once you’ve done that run the command “top” and it’ll spit out a lot of information. Use the search search function and find “PPPod” yes that is a letter D and you’ll have your password.

Your username will also be there or you can simply take this from the router itself as that isn’t stared out!

I found this link useful in case you need it:

But overall VERY easy. Pulling 800mbps down and 350mbps on their top spec residential package.

Sponsored Links
Looks like they are available on my street now with a 10 week lead time.

Just deciding if i should go with residential or business, as we do work from home, and currently have a Edgerouter and Ruckus wifi which is working flawlessly, and if i want to use this i'd have to pay extra to not have their own router on the business package?

Has anyone managed to get PPPoe details from their supplied residential router so i can use my own, as they don't seem to provide a wires only option.

Just deciding if i should go with residential or business, as we do work from home, and currently have a Edgerouter and Ruckus wifi which is working flawlessly, and if i want to use this i'd have to pay extra to not have their own router on the business package?

Has anyone managed to get PPPoe details from their supplied residential router so i can use my own, as they don't seem to provide a wires only option.
Have a read of this thread over at TBB:

My install cost was pretty much a grand (996). Supposedly my line is buried rather than in trunking so they needed to trunk to my house.
Hopefully BT is not too far behind and cost of service provision included.

My install cost was pretty much a grand (996). Supposedly my line is buried rather than in trunking so they needed to trunk to my house.
Hopefully BT is not too far behind and cost of service provision included.
Yeah thankfully ours is fully ducted so no install cost according to the offer page, also with first month free.

I had a read of the thread kindly posted by Pheasant and that llooks to be way above my capabilities!

I suppose the only thing that can happen is that i can't find the PPP information, rather than mess up the supplied router settings?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules