Sponsored

Anyone else Connection slowed to a crawl?

mc6415

Pro Member
Exactly what it says on the tin, anyone else connection slowed to a crawl, I tried to get a speedtest to show you but I cant do one as my connections slowed down so much it times out. So anyone else experienceing this, btw I'm still on a EurISP connection if that makes any difference.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
http://www.fast4.net/members/_files/system_status.asp

12/02/2008 - ADSL Slow Connection issues
We have been made aware of a possible issue with poor speeds for some ADSL customers; this does not appear to affect customers on our new network backbone (connecting with 'surfmax' at the end of their username) and we are currently discussing this matter with our original backbone supplier.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to our customers and hope to have this resolved shortly.

I've posted an update on our system status page: it's only customers connecting on EurISP's backbone that have a problem incidentally, newer customers or those already moved to the new network backbone don't appear to be affected.

I'll chase them later tonight and hope to post an update here about it if I can...

tcib

Exactly what it says on the tin, anyone else connection slowed to a crawl, I tried to get a speedtest to show you but I cant do one as my connections slowed down so much it times out. So anyone else experienceing this, btw I'm still on a EurISP connection if that makes any difference.
Happened to me too. Bizarrely when I was looking into migration.

Tis all too convenient that it was effecting only old customers - yet another thing to thwart people into changing package.

And I know it has undoubtedly been said before but system status means diddly squat. If you are having problems with the net then you won't be able to log on to check or you won't be able to for a while. i.e it is only now that service seems to have resumed that I am able to check it.

Gladly it confirms what I suspected - more lousy service.

mc6415

Pro Member
While I do applaud Paul's speedy response to my original post, I am slightly saddened to see how customer loyalty is rewarded by fast4, mainly charges that don't apply to new members, problems with the service just now, that don't apply to new customers, I think that when the time comes that existing customers are put on the new capped service, I shall be looking elsewhere for my ISP as £25 for 30Gb is an obscene ammount works out at 83p per 1GB, whereas an entanet provider for example entanet, for the same price you get 30GB cap at peak times so once again thats 83p a GB, but peak times are only 5 days a week and then not all day but you get 300GB off peak which works out at 8p a GB, for a better overall service. I forsee this being the beginning of the end for Fast4.

Capped4

Pro Member
As a skeptical old b*stard, I expected to see this happen as soon as I read about the new pricing structure. It MAY be an unfortunate coincidence, If it is a ploy then such underhand sharp practice tolls the death knell for any company. If I worked for them and had any suspicions this was the case I'd jump ship before they sh!t on the employees, too. Time will tell.

At least it hasn't happened when the office is closed for the weekend as is usually the case !!

Yes, I've had an unusably slow connection today, starting (again coincidentally ? ) at the normal throttling time of 4 pm. Have all the old customers been shifted to the naughty pipe to save F4 some pennies?

Paulplex

ISP Rep
As a skeptical old b*stard, I expected to see this happen as soon as I read about the new pricing structure. It MAY be an unfortunate coincidence, If it is a ploy then such underhand sharp practice tolls the death knell for any company. If I worked for them and had any suspicions this was the case I'd jump ship before they sh!t on the employees, too. Time will tell.

At least it hasn't happened when the office is closed for the weekend as is usually the case !!

Yes, I've had an unusably slow connection today, starting (again coincidentally ? ) at the normal throttling time of 4 pm. Have all the old customers been shifted to the naughty pipe to save F4 some pennies?
Do you really think that a company would deliberately put all of it's ADSL customers that were on a specific network backbone onto a 'restricted' profile: despite the fact that over half of the 'original' customers who are on the same packages (ie, £15.95 with the 60Gb FUP) but are now with the new network backbone supplier haven't been in any way affected by this problem?

Does it not make more sense that the problem some customers experienced this evening was not a problem with Fast4 - rather an issue with the backbone supplier's network upon whose network all the customers connected upon had problems: all the other customers who are on the alternative network backbone were however fine?

I have no suspicions at all about my employers at Fast4 - I have great suspicion however of EurISP through who's network our customers experienced problems: problems not seen by customers on the new network backbone with Murphx.

mc6415

Pro Member
Do you really think that a company would deliberately put all of it's ADSL customers that were on a specific network backbone onto a 'restricted' profile: despite the fact that over half of the 'original' customers who are on the same packages (ie, £15.95 with the 60Gb FUP) but are now with the new network backbone supplier haven't been in any way affected by this problem?

Does it not make more sense that the problem some customers experienced this evening was not a problem with Fast4 - rather an issue with the backbone supplier's network upon whose network all the customers connected upon had problems: all the other customers who are on the alternative network backbone were however fine?

I have no suspicions at all about my employers at Fast4 - I have great suspicion however of EurISP through who's network our customers experienced problems: problems not seen by customers on the new network backbone with Murphx.
If this is the case are you admitting that there maybe foul play at work on EurISP's end? as you yourself say that you have your suspicions, also just to let you know you say experienced problems as if there over now my connection still seems pretty slow compared to this afternoon therfore im still expereincing problems

Capped4

Pro Member

Calm down...get your rattle back in the pram and read again. As I said may be a coincidence and time will tell. I am a skeptical old so and so, but am seldomly proved wrong, more's the pity. My experience of fast4 is , unfortunately , behind my unfortunate skepticism. They strike me (In my own opinion) as being less than transparently honest with their customers and bound in the long term to fail. In my experience a company that is uncaring of it's customer is no better behaved towards it's employees.

BTW "restricted" service ? in relation to traffic management? I wouldn't dream of using such a term towards an "unlimited" service;)

PS the "no trouble on new network backbone" was the expected response, how long before the generous offer to transfer us oldies to the new system (and charges) out of sheer good will???

Paulplex

ISP Rep
PS the "no trouble on new network backbone" was the expected response, how long before the generous offer to transfer us oldies to the new system (and charges) out of sheer good will???
Perhaps I did throw the toys out of the pram a little; it's a bit frustrating though when I know that the problems some say today weren't of Fast4's making. In terms of moving older customers to the new network backbone, thats already underway: indeed, this has happened for the majority of customers and within the month all existing customers will be on the new network backbone.

Capped4

Pro Member
Perhaps I did throw the toys out of the pram a little; it's a bit frustrating though when I know that the problems some say today weren't of Fast4's making. In terms of moving older customers to the new network backbone, thats already underway: indeed, this has happened for the majority of customers and within the month all existing customers will be on the new network backbone.
Fair do's. You're in a better position than most to know what has occurred, I don't have reason to doubt your sincerity, either. So an unfortunate coincidence.

I really want to be wrong about this, I'll be reasonably happy to pay the current rate for a reliable service, but having already been forced to accept concessions in the form of unexpected cancellation fees and a FUP, both drastically different from what I was lead to expect when signing up, I have no more flexibility to offer.

Lets all hope this is a genuine attempt to offer the customer a better value service

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
If this is the case are you admitting that there maybe foul play at work on EurISP's end? as you yourself say that you have your suspicions, also just to let you know you say experienced problems as if there over now my connection still seems pretty slow compared to this afternoon therfore im still expereincing problems
I wonder if there might be some kind of dispute between Eurisp and Fast4? Maybe over early termination fees or something like that. :shrug:

If it is related, they wouldn't be the first supplier to restrict their Visp's customers bandwidth. If I recall correctly, in the final weeks of the V21-Biscit fiasco, their were complaints initially about very poor speeds, before the situation deteriorated to fortnightly outages, which is quite understandable if their supplier hadn't been paid.

mc6415

Pro Member
I wonder if there might be some kind of dispute between Eurisp and Fast4? Maybe over early termination fees or something like that. :shrug:

If it is related, they wouldn't be the first supplier to restrict their Visp's customers bandwidth. If I recall correctly, in the final weeks of the V21-Biscit fiasco, their were complaints initially about very poor speeds, before the situation deteriorated to fortnightly outages, which is quite understandable if their supplier hadn't been paid.
thats what I'm worried about, I do know how to pick 'em

AOL --> Pipex --> Fast4

alared

Casual Member
At the time of the V21/Biscit carry on,Fast4 retained customers who had joined at a certain recent date and moved the rest to those idiots at Biscit.

So the current Fast4 didn`t really have anything more to do with Biscit,who commited comercial suicide.

Having said that I`m still a bit concerned about the ongoing switch to @surfmax,which is a bit like handing your existing customers over to a new provider ---------- exactly what happened with Biscit.

Out of the blue I got an email saying I had been moved to F4 parent company V21.
Next thing I know another email saying " V21 and Biscit are one" and promising what great service we would get blah,blah,blah -------------- the rest is history.
Biscit were tripe and went bust.
But Fast4 were behind the "plot" to sell on their customer base to V21 and then broken Biscit.

Lets just hope were`re not on the same trip again with this Surfmax.

5atan

I have only managed to down load 58meg during a nine hour period today! FAST4? what a joke

5atan

speedtest.net is curently showing download at 1Kbps, will post the results in the morning if it finishes

5atan

didn't complete so this morning reset my modem (just to make sure) and tried again 58Kbps up and 29Kbps down

I think I'll upgrade to a dial up connection

Last edited:

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
didn't complete so this morning reset my modem (just to make sure) and tried again 58Kbps up and 29Kbps down

I think I'll upgrade to a dial up connection

You are not on the Eurisp.

5atan

the speeds recorded are the max speed attained during the test and in no way reflect the average speed which in my case over the last 24hours has been around 1.9Kb/s (129Meg in 19hours, don't want to be told I'm downloading 24hours a day)

mc6415

Pro Member
No, I was transfered to the new Improved? fast4 supplier
11/2/2008
Ive been with fast4 for the last year and was with biscit for 3 years years before that.
Time to leave fast4

PC@@@@@fast4.net
while I hate to find myself sideing with fast4 on this, they've said the problems were only felt on the EurISP backbone, also there's still gonna be the 10 day training period on your line until the 21st of this month, however I stilll dont think speeds should be quite that low.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2533)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1676)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1110)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (601)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules