Sponsored Links

Anyone else sick to death of VM?

well i for one have had enough of virgin media!

the problems started a couple of months ago when i would get throttled in the evenings as i was a high user of bandwidth and thus throttled between 4-12pm which was fine to be honest.

since then things have gone downhill really. i think for the last 2 months i have had a max speed of half mb 50% of the time. strangely when i disconnect from the internet i never get more than half mb even though 1 min prior i had 4.5mb. this problem doesnt seem to reset itself until mdinght the same day and then "sometimes" it will return to the normal speed although i have known the half mb to last up to 4 days at a time before reset.

for the last week during peak times i have alos noticed a massive slow down in speeds during peak times and im not talking about it being a little slower.

here is a speed test taken tonight: http://www.speedtest.net/result/212954094.png so you can see exactly what im moaning about.

i have sent off many emails to VM about this problem and its fallen on deaf ears mostly, although they did admit that they were shaping p2p traffic to me. i would call them but i refuse to pay 25p pm for the privelege of talking to some monkey in india who knows less than me!

is this happening to anyone else? should i look for another isp?

thanks! bunter

avoid this company like the plague.ive terminated them as from this morning,and they can whistle for my outstanding contract and this months bill hahahaha

lve had issues which have been fixed by not downloading anything using p2p between 4pm and midnight, this seems to have fixed my slowdown issues when lve experienced them on the ADSL platform.

@adam666
great, we know you hate Virgin... you dont have to spam it all over every thread thats currently active.

Sponsored Links
Currently, I am with VM 20mb and I am pleased to say, I get the FULL 20MB

bunter - Are you on VM DSL or ADSL?

Also have you tried running some tracerts? Is your router direct into your PC or or through a router?

Also can you show some ping times?

Are you using WIFI or Cabled? If cabled Ethernet or USB?

Few simple things that can proove the problem

So Adam666 - There is no need to be childish about this mate, they are actually a good provider, like anybody they have problems.

Virgin = Fast speeds, videos stream fast / 150+ pings all day every day.

Don't go with these, go with o2 or something.

be carfull VM check what files u download and were from my mate has been capped bigtime of them he isnt even on 56k modem speeds at the moment.
so he phoned them up and they told him he was fup'd and was a high level user and then began to tell him what files he had downloaded and were from i was like :O i find this highly invasive indeed thank god i aint with them.

Sponsored Links
be carfull VM check what files u download and were from my mate has been capped bigtime of them he isnt even on 56k modem speeds at the moment.
so he phoned them up and they told him he was fup'd and was a high level user and then began to tell him what files he had downloaded and were from i was like :O i find this highly invasive indeed thank god i aint with them.

Think you need to read about BT and the stealth trials of Phorm/webwise.

well i for one have had enough of virgin media!

the problems started a couple of months ago when i would get throttled in the evenings as i was a high user of bandwidth and thus throttled between 4-12pm which was fine to be honest.

since then things have gone downhill really. snip..snip

i have sent off many emails to VM about this problem and its fallen on deaf ears mostly, although they did admit that they were shaping p2p traffic to me. i would call them but i refuse to pay 25p pm for the privelege of talking to some monkey in india who knows less than me!

is this happening to anyone else? should i look for another isp?

What real alternative is there? I have used NTL-VM for my internet for years. I have no idea what else is "out there"

Thank you for any info.

King Crooner

What real alternative is there? I have used NTL-VM for my internet for years. I have no idea what else is "out there"

Thank you for any info.

King Crooner

I had a BT line fitted at reduced rate by agreeing to make 10 payable calls a month, paying quarterly helps as the total is then spread over the three months so 30 calls over 3 months. Ordered my internet from Aquiss and bought a good quality router. I no longer lose speed at peak times down to 512K, I no longer get the modem locked needing to call India and trying to get them to understand the modem is fine some idiot had blocked my internet after an firmware update.

I do have a link to reduced new BT line

I also hate VM

Yes same thing here and I'm not even hitting p2p or bitorrent that much total crap! Got 20mb only getting 10mb on a good night. I'm off to O2 as of tomorrow. If you're paying full whack for your package don't! Ring them up and give them hell. They discounted me immediately but I wouldn't give them 50p for the service and hassle they've given me.

How many times can you tell them "I don't want to download 700 mp3's in one go or get 50 channels on cable TV!!! just stop messing with the speed will you!!!!" I mourn the day Telewest went the distance VM CRAP!!!!! Avoid!!!!

PS Sorry about the rant!!! I hate VM they spy on you and bring in sneaky traffic management without telling you, Only after you've rebuilt the PC 3 times does it dawn on you that that unlimited Fibre optic cable that was so reliable has had someone fiddling with it at the other end and your not actually getting what you signed up for any more!!:mad:

Sponsored Links
Customer Services

I don't really have any major complaints with the service, but the customer service is terrible. I dread to think how long I've spent on the phone talking to what may as well be a brick wall. It took over 2 months to install our services having been told it would be 2 weeks. As a group of students this was VERY annoying and I was driving 23 miles/day extra just so I could use the internet in the evenings!

When the service was 'installed', the modem wasn't working, but the engineer left giving us a phone number to call. It took 3/4 more phone calls to get things working and we told it was because the engineer hadn't done something he was meant to (although I'm not sure how true this was).

Not happy. :mad:

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules