Sponsored

Anyone else using Dial-Up for backup to Broadband?

James Harkin

With most ISPs now, they are phasing out dial-up. There are only a few services that currently offer such a service.

Because you never know when your broadband is down, I have always had a backup modem installed in my PC, not only does it allow me to send/receive faxes & set up a multi-leaved voicemail system using the Supervoice software, I use it as a back up just in case my broadband should ever fail.

I am using Mistral Accelerated Dial which is just an 0845 lo-call rate.

Anyone else have a backup like this?

Regards

James

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It's been so long since I needed my 0845 backup that I can't recall who it's with :), probably Vispa or something like that. We also have a list of local call rate dialup providers here:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/listman/exec/dialup.shtml

I tried to identify those that use server-side compression too (need to use the search page). These days though if my main broadband goes down for any length of time then I find it more practical to use a Mobile Broadband PAYG connection from O2 or 3.

BradEUK

Casual Member
Hello guys,

Its always good to have a dial up for back up to your Broadband. As now a days broadband not reliable and if you have a outage there no other way to get it working rather than waiting,

Dial up works as long as your phone line is working, so ;)

Regards,

Brad

spider

Top Member
My ISP automatically provides a freephone dialup connection if you have a broadband fault (had to use last weekend due to DSL outage). I also have a back up dialup account with another provider, but I have not used that for a long time.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I have a deal with my neighbour we both have given access to the others wireless two different ISPs if I go down I login on his he does the same with mine if his dies...

When I was on Cable i seemed to be using it almost weekly only way to beet the Indian call center was to have internet connection.

PeteK

ISP Rep
I have a deal with my neighbour we both have given access to the others wireless two different ISPs if I go down I login on his he does the same with mine if his dies...
Lol, doesn't work for me here as I sell to half the street.. having said that I supply it so have a bit more control when it breaks!

Mark2

Top Member
Primary connection is Three HSPA

Backup connection is T-Mobile HSPA

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Please don't reply to spam, just report it, as I will erase the message and that can cause continuity problems when you reply like that.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2300)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1462)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1131)
  9. Statistics (1119)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1070)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Wireless Internet (932)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (931)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules