Sponsored Links

Anyone on Giganet?

jalzoo

Looks like Giganet have a pretty good offer £40 for 900mb no contract with £30 towards your bill if you use your own router seems pretty tempting. They have just gone live in my area IS anyone with them?. Any speedtests/traceroutes or reviews would be much appreciated.

I know somebody nearby who will be using them, but they're still awaiting a final installation date.

Top class ISP. Was with them on Openreach based 900/115 Mbps, no major issues at all. Got line speeds 24/7 and any minor quibbles were promptly sorted out over the phone. Only left them as Cityfibre had enabled our home and wanted symmetrical speeds on FTTP. May decide to go back to Giganet if/when they start offering Cityfibre based services in our area (at present they only offer Openreach FTTP nationwide, not Cityfibre FTTP).

Sponsored Links
I also found that you can haggle with Giganet over their monthly service costs, which is almost unheard of with other small ISPs. I think I managed to get a fiver off their 900 Mbps service on Openreach (£75/m instead of £80/m) though that was a few years ago so prices may have come down since then.

A friend of mine has been with them for a couple of weeks, so far he's had no problems at all, and is very happy with the speed he is getting.

Do they provide IPv6? The only mention of it in their FAQs is that the router they supply has "IPv4 and IPv6 support" (as does everything these days)

I'm hoping to be with them, but they seem confused as to how to process my order for a FTTP connection where I've told BT to just "end it" when my contract ends tomorrow.

I have certainly ordered a 500MB package anyway. The prices and customer service ethos almost seem too good to be true. Looks like I am on a rolling 30 day package by default and a no RPI promise if I change that to sign for a year.

Also, on the occasion I had to ring them up to find out about my order, I was straight through to an actual human with no call menus to navigate. I can't remember the last time that happened with any company, let alone a broadband supplier.

Sponsored Links
From the FAQ I read this. I wonder how they do it?

"
How is this different from my old phone line?

We’re glad you asked! You keep your existing home phone number, but we whisk it away into the Internet so you don’t need your old copper phone line any more. People call you in the same way, so you won’t lose touch with anybody. You can keep all your existing telephones as well and they should all work exactly as they did before. "

From the FAQ I read this. I wonder how they do it?

"
How is this different from my old phone line?

We’re glad you asked! You keep your existing home phone number, but we whisk it away into the Internet so you don’t need your old copper phone line any more. People call you in the same way, so you won’t lose touch with anybody. You can keep all your existing telephones as well and they should all work exactly as they did before. "
They provide a router with VOIP ATA built-in, think its a Thomson or Zyxel model.

That's it b-f.

And it is not 'keep all your existing telephone and they should work exactly as they did before'

Advertising Standards, Trade descriptions, at the ready!

Sponsored Links
Have you read this? Apparently they can do (or attempt to) Openreach FTTP > Openreach FTTP migrations. Unless the new Giganet service is Cityfibre based?

I don't know what's going on to be honest, although they have been great at updating me twice a day with "news" - even though nothing is really happening.

When I ordered they said they couldn't proceed as there were "multiple orders" on my line. Which is nonsense, as I was terminating with BT and not moving to anyone else. They were the only company I had placed an order with. Looked around yes, ordered no.

They said they are chasing my order with "Zen", which made me wonder whether they are in reality a reseller for Zen Internet?

BT have terminated my FTTP today. Not sure if that makes it easier for them to migrate me or worse LOL.

I'm the boring old thingie who has been moaning on this forum that people are not being told much, if anything, about what happens to their existing phones and extensions. Yes, I know you gurus are fully au fait with Voip, DECT and so on - but most folk are not. I have written to Giganet this morning picking this from their FAQ and asking how they do it.

"Will I need new telephones?
No. You can keep all your existing telephones and all the usual stuff should work the same. "

I'll will report back when they reply.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what's going on to be honest, although they have been great at updating me twice a day with "news" - even though nothing is really happening.

When I ordered they said they couldn't proceed as there were "multiple orders" on my line. Which is nonsense, as I was terminating with BT and not moving to anyone else. They were the only company I had placed an order with. Looked around yes, ordered no.

They said they are chasing my order with "Zen", which made me wonder whether they are in reality a reseller for Zen Internet?

BT have terminated my FTTP today. Not sure if that makes it easier for them to migrate me or worse LOL.
They use Neos networks luckily not zen that was one of the first questions I asked them. OR maybe they do use zen in places where there is no neos networks presence.

I'd love to see a traceroute or pings and roughly where you are in the UK if anyone can provide :)
I would consider them but there's isn't many people that I've seen using them so not much to go off.

I'd love to see a traceroute or pings and roughly where you are in the UK if anyone can provide :)
I would consider them but there's isn't many people that I've seen using them so not much to go off.

Yeah me too im really considering them but i need some proofs. If you look on their trustpilot page there are lots of reviews one of you must be a giganet customer?? :D

They are available in my area but max out at 500 Mbps due to cost according to Giganet, they told me that they can't sell the 900 Mbps in my area for £40 a month, so they removed in and now charge £37 for 500 Mbps. I've no idea why location should make a difference if you're connected to the same core BT network.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules