Sponsored Links

Anyone on here using Aquiss?

That mid evening spike may be Children in Need starting; I forgot that was tonight - at least until I tried to log onto a BBC server and found it very slow to respond.

Yeah, those spikes are caused by the up/download of a few large torrents, the max latency went up as soon as they started, and will undoubtedly come down as soon as they finish.

to get a better understanding of what other Aquiss customers are seeing, so I could more fully understand whether there was something out of the norm that I was seeing.

as it does seem to me that Ian has a BQM graph that I would expect, whereas there does seem to be an external influence on mine. Certainly out own use of the internet does not account for the BQM pattern we are seeing.

Comparing your connection to others who are in different exchange areas is almost pointless irrespective of ISP. There are many variables such as exchange congestion, line quality, backhaul routing, contention, etc which will be different for Aquiss users in other areas. If you want to get a more realistic comparison then you need to ask Aquiss customers connected to your exchange (eg neighbours). Ditto for IDNet as I've noticed you've also asked on their forum for user feedback...otherwise its deja vu all over again.

As for TBB single thread speedtest results, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over them. On my 330 Mbps FTTP connection (though its down at present lol) TBB single thread speedtest gives me no more than 100 Mbps yet speedtest.net (multi threaded) and testmy.net (single thread) both give me > 300 Mbps. Torrent downloads give me the the full 40 MB/s so i know there's nothing wrong with my connection.

I should also add that if you want a near perfect connection then perhaps you should look into getting a leased line. Prices have come down a lot over the last few years so might be worth speaking to Martin @ Aquiss for a quote.

All true, but the TBB tester does show something interesting; I was running an unpopular torrent up/down last night; only 10's of Kb either way at times, and almost nothing in the hour before I shut down the torrent program; yet the latency spikes were just as bad as for the full on torrent I ran the night before; this tells me that the line tester is heavily influenced by whatever type of data stream going through your router, and as with their speed tests, cannot be taken without a large dose of salts as a true metric of your line status.

As a post note to this thread, I did speak to Martin about my perceived issues.

He does very much feel that what I am seeing is a feature of the way that Entanet and many other network providers run their networks. He did however confirm that I am going through Entanet's Manchester node, which is due a bandwidth upgrade, which may explain why Ian and I are seeing significantly different BQM behaviour.

Martin kindly reiterated his offer that if I wanted to go and try another ISP I was free to go.

I have since taken up IDNet's Black Friday offer and will be migrating to them in mid-December, but will keep an eye on my Aquiss connection until then in case things improve significantly.

Following discussion with IDNet, they will be placing me on their Fluid Data TTB backhaul rather than with Zen's LLU/BTW alternative.

I appreciate all the advice given in this thread and accept that I'm probably worrying about the last ounce of performance on my line when I may not be able to detect he differences in day to day use of the Internet.

But that's just me ....... especially when I have too much time on my hands.

Thanks all.

Only problem going onto TTB is if they place your landline on TT network it will cost to return the line back to BT's network, if ever you decide to go back to a BT BB network.

I have had no problems with my connection been with Aquiss since I moved from Virgin media in 2008, I started on the old ADSL max product slowly moving up to where I am now FTTC. I also go through the manchester node, I have not noticed any issues, I stream Tv over the connection play online games. I do pay for business package as I tend to use it a lot during the day.

Good luck.

The phone line is definitely remaining with BT. Once bitten, twice shy!!

Interesting that you are also connected to Manchester. Perhaps the business prioritisation makes all the difference. Perhaps there are other factors coming into play. I guess we'll never fully know.

My TBB line chart has pretty much shown that peak latency is heavily affected by the programs you have running; even with no torrents running up or down, latency spikes are 20 times the average of the latency when my torrent program isnt active.

This is even allowing for both SWMBO and Baby Einstein streaming videos on their phones for much of the evening (Chinese soap opera and MLP respectively).

Kits,

Just reread your post and missed the fact that you were on a business connection. I believe Ian is the same. If you are connected through the Manchester node and not seeing any impact, it suggests have a business connection makes a significant difference. Mine is absolutely fine out of normal working hours, but does suffer during the working week.

Ian,

Still check out your BQM graph and struggling to see the 20x peaks you are mentioned in your last post. Certainly can't see anything worse than about 30ms spikes over the last 24 hours against an average of what looks to be ~9ms.

Kits,

Just reread your post and missed the fact that you were on a business connection. I believe Ian is the same. If you are connected through the Manchester node and not seeing any impact, it suggests have a business connection makes a significant difference. Mine is absolutely fine out of normal working hours, but does suffer during the working week.

Ian,

Still check out your BQM graph and struggling to see the 20x peaks you are mentioned in your last post. Certainly can't see anything worse than about 30ms spikes over the last 24 hours against an average of what looks to be ~9ms.

Kits may be, but I am not, just the bog standard 80/20.

Kits may be, but I am not, just the bog standard 80/20.

Ok. Not sure where I picked that up from. Apols.

Still keeping an eye out on my BQM in case of any improvement this week, before my migration to iDNet next Monday. I'd be more than happy with a connection like yours and be willing to stay with Aquiss if I did see any significant improvement.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules