Sponsored Links

Anyone on here using Aquiss?

I was migrated over yesterday and to be honest I feel I've made a bit of a mistake.

My pings are almost double on average and my speed tests are a bit like Ian's, very inconsistent from one test to the next, particularly during the working day when business traffic is prioritised. Much more consistent in the evening though.

There is absolutely no doubt that I would have been better staying put at Pulse8. You live and learn, eh!

Which speed tester are you using, and where does it think you are?

For some reason some speed testers regularly think I am in London when picking servers, and that skews the results quite a lot, especially pings.

If everything there looks fine, call them, they are usually very good at sorting issues.

I contacted them via email and Martin responded by saying that he didn't have any other customers who considered the single threading speeds to be a problem and, if it was a problem for me, I was free to migrate away without penalty.

Which all feels slightly different from the discussion we had before I joined them when he said that he had a number of customers who would no doubt make him aware if there was single threading problem.

I am now seriously considering his kind offer!

Care to post a speed test showing that your having a problem?

I think you will find he is going off thinkbroadbands speed tester which does a single thread test aswell as multi. Never found it to be 100% accurate as once it said I reached 100mbps on a 80/20 package I think not. Reading too much into the sincle thread results. What I ask is are the ones that are lower in your time band I.E. If business during the day if family during the evening?

Today's for me again shows me hitting 84mbps still on 80/20 package. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1510737471779181555-mini.png

I have been with Aquiss since 2008 at the start there were five people using the connection now just one as I use it mainly by day I pay for business package. I recommend all my friends to move to Aquiss if they are complaining about issues with their present supplier not heard any complaints since but they do not obsess with thinkbroadband speedtests. The connection works when they want it and speeds are good, you do have to remember the connection is not a 1to1 it is shared you have to have some slower times if it is not your priority time. If you think this is wrong you need to get a leased line one-to-one connection will cost something like £250 a month though plus thousands in upfront connection charges.

I know that Kits btw a leased line at 100meg is around 450 a month atm depending on location, I'm just curious to see what the test is saying. Also theres next to no protocols which do only use 1 thread so its a potentially useless test.

I understand all about the connection being shared and therfore not guaranteed, but the reality is that Aquiss's network isn't delivering the same level of performance that my Pulse8 (TTB) connection did.

If I compare the BQM graphs from my Pulse 8 connection against Aquiss:

Tuesday last week with Pulse8:

Tuesday this week with Aquiss:

Spot the difference!!

An example of speed tests on Aquiss:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1510764391338397355
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1510764360283080155

Compared to a fairly typical one from my Pulse8 connection at a not dissimilar time of day.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1509121609101021455

Again a noticeable difference.

It is now up to me to decide what to do.

Martin has given me a pass out, which I am definitely thinking of taking advantage of or I can take the cheaper option of staying put, take advantage of the 3 month free fibre and just use the connection rather than worrying overly much about it.

Sponsored Links
The Pulse8 connection is suffering from long grass syndrome.

What are you using the circuit for?

Did you mean the Pulse8 or the Aquiss connection? It's the Aquiss connection that more resembles long grass to me. The Pulse8 connection was a bit spikey for reasons that I could never fully ascertain, but have assumed it's down to the router. I have seen similarly spikey graphs for other people, so don't see it as being anything to be concerned about.

In terms of usage, nothing special. Most of the time just general internet usage: browsing, emails, a bit of video streaming (YT, Netflix, etc). I'm not hosting any servers or the like.

The pulse8 connection, its something which AA found to be a Juniper router issue with old firmware.

The Aquiss one should be fine for anything like your using it for really. the spikes are due to the QoS your connection has and ones like the gaming package/ business package is a higher priority which to most people in the day time it wont cause any problems.

I would take the TBB results with a pinch of salt; they have just shown mine peaking at over 120Mbps, on a 80/20 connection where my max sync speed is 101Mbps; not once, but every test done tonight.

They are also showing my ping as over double what Speedtest.org says it is.

Then there is the fact the TBB website has just crashed on me when trying to run a latency test.

I am currently running the line quality test that you are showing; obviously it has only been running overnight so far, but my max latency is showing half your chart - other than a blip around 5:30am, average max latency is about 24mS, with a sustained highs between 12:30 - 1:00am, and 6:00 and 7:00 of around 35mS.

However, this may be an issue with WHERE TBB and ST think you are; BOTH seem to think I am in London right now, so are picking a server over 100 miles away from where I really am located. This could be an issue with Entanet, and not Aquiss.

Sponsored Links
OK, the monitor has been running all day.
b65d3b546cdbfd81225608938f8dfcd82ba487c2.png
[/url][/IMG]

As you can see, a bit of almost undetectable* delay during off peak (except for that one spike), but daytime the chart shows only a few low peaks, far less that the pulse8 chart shows.

That night time lag might be due to the fact I had a huge download/upload task running; I will see what happens tonight.

* I play LOTRO on a US based server with an average 90mS ping, and dont really notice any issues until the ping exceeds 200mS.

I have never had an issue with the TBB tests acting in an unreliable manner for me and what I am doing here is comparative.

The TBB speedtester is a bit browser dependent so gives me the best results when using Firefox or Waterfox (which I just use for speed testing so no add-ons installed). It can also be impacted by your AV. I get much better performance with KIS than Eset Cyber Security Pro.

OK, the monitor has been running all day.

As you can see, a bit of almost undetectable* delay during off peak (except for that one spike), but daytime the chart shows only a few low peaks, far less that the pulse8 chart shows.

That night time lag might be due to the fact I had a huge download/upload task running; I will see what happens tonight.

* I play LOTRO on a US based server with an average 90mS ping, and dont really notice any issues until the ping exceeds 200mS.

Now that is fascinating, Ian. You are seeing next to no ping slow down during peak working hours. I am reasonably certain that the poor ping responses and variability in speed test results are attributable to the same thing.

From where I am stood, I have provided Martin details and I feel all he has done has told me that's the way it is, unlocked the door and opened it for me to leave. I will almost certainly be taking the hint!

My BQM chart for comparison:

It's almost as though the ping delays transfer from yours to mine and then some!!

I may just give it one last try with Martin and see whether he will bite, but I do need something that demonstrates that my line is behaving abnormally.

Before I do anything, can you confirm which Aquiss package you are on.

@Kits, Are you running a TBB BQM? If so, would you mind posting it here

Jay,

I appreciate you're posting here, but you're not actually engaging with us directly via our support channels. Other than a couple of tickets, about leaving, your playing out your support issue here in public, a site not run by ourselves.

I've given you no hints, purely an ability to exercise your consumer rights if you feel what we are offering is not as expected or required.

I have no idea what you referring to, transferring pings from one customer to another. Sorry, what now?

Now anyone who knows me, knows that i'm a reasonable fella, but expecting me to bite, is not the way to get my attention.

Sorry I do not have TBB BQM I just visit occasionally to do speed tests using firefox.

Now that is fascinating, Ian. You are seeing next to no ping slow down during peak working hours. I am reasonably certain that the poor ping responses and variability in speed test results are attributable to the same thing.

From where I am stood, I have provided Martin details and I feel all he has done has told me that's the way it is, unlocked the door and opened it for me to leave. I will almost certainly be taking the hint!

My BQM chart for comparison:

It's almost as though the ping delays transfer from yours to mine and then some!!

I may just give it one last try with Martin and see whether he will bite, but I do need something that demonstrates that my line is behaving abnormally.

Before I do anything, can you confirm which Aquiss package you are on.

@Kits, Are you running a TBB BQM? If so, would you mind posting it here

I dont see it as Martin trying to push you out of the door; he is just making sure you know you arent tied to Aquiss if you are unhappy; a lot of ISPs would BS that you have to give notice, now you have used the service; even though the law says otherwise. Martin would rather have you leave, than stay and be unhappy.

I am guessing the ping transfer was a joke, right?? Sometimes they work in your head, but not when typed; of course there are others than only work in type.

You can just about see a slight rise as all the school kids get home, which also suggests last night highs were caused by the multi-gigabyte torrent I was running; I turned it off around 7:15am, which pretty much coincides with the improved results for the rest of the day.

FYI, I use Firefox, Win7, and a cheap(ish) TPLink Archer VR200 VDSL router via a gigabit ethernet connection that runs through a couple of TPLink switches..

Martin,

The ping remark was as flippant as they come. Ian's yellow ping pattern stops about 8am when mine regularly kicks in. Nothing more, nothing less.

Happy to call to discuss and apologies if I misinterpreted your original email. I'm only saying it as I saw it.

Jon

Just so everybody is up to speed, I have emailed Martin suggesting we speak when the support desk is back open on Monday morning, so we can discuss whether there is an issue with my line.

My original ticket logged with Aquiss did include the Pulse8 vs Aquiss comparisons I have posted here earlier in the thread. The primary intention of posting here was definitely not to 'vent my spleen' in public, but to get a better understanding of what other Aquiss customers are seeing, so I could more fully understand whether there was something out of the norm that I was seeing.

If it has come across any differently than it was wholly unintended.

I shall be watching Ian's BQM stats with interest over the weekend to see how they compare with my own, as it does seem to me that Ian has a BQM graph that I would expect, whereas there does seem to be an external influence on mine. Certainly out own use of the internet does not account for the BQM pattern we are seeing.

I dont see it as Martin trying to push you out of the door; he is just making sure you know you arent tied to Aquiss if you are unhappy; a lot of ISPs would BS that you have to give notice, now you have used the service; even though the law says otherwise. Martin would rather have you leave, than stay and be unhappy.

I am guessing the ping transfer was a joke, right?? Sometimes they work in your head, but not when typed; of course there are others than only work in type.

You can just about see a slight rise as all the school kids get home, which also suggests last night highs were caused by the multi-gigabyte torrent I was running; I turned it off around 7:15am, which pretty much coincides with the improved results for the rest of the day.

FYI, I use Firefox, Win7, and a cheap(ish) TPLink Archer VR200 VDSL router via a gigabit ethernet connection that runs through a couple of TPLink switches..

I think Martin is being fairer than fair, because I was expecting him to tie me into the 12 month contract I signed up for.

Your BQM pattern fits exactly with what I would expect to see from your usage of your connection. My BQM pattern is not explicable by our use of the Internet and I would definitely like to understand the cause. I thought it might have been due to the higher business prioritisation during the day, but then I would have expected yours to show the same pattern.

The ping transfer comment was abolutely a joke. All I was making an observation on was that your ping responses improved at exactly the same time mine got worse. I really wasn't expecting anybody to treat it as a serious comment.

Let's see what the next few day's brings.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules