Sponsored

Anyone using adsl4less?

Ell

ADSL connection

Hi. I've just started with ADSL4less and i've got a quick query about the set up (tried emailing support but no response yet).

I've set up the modem as described in the manual. It said that after installation was complete, the modem would light up and broadband would be connected. This did happen but when i tried to open a browser i just kept getting the Server Unavailable Message.

I've had to open AccessRunner DSL and enter user detals and click DIAL to get any internet connections. Is this normal? I have to do this everytime i open a browser for the first time after starting up my machine. I've checked my internet connection settings and they say that AccessRunner DSL is the default (dal-up) connection and the Never DIal a Connection option is highlighted as indicated in ADSL4less's help section but i still have to manually connect each time.

Can someone help? The pessimistic side of me thinks it's connecting through dial-up but the more sensible side thinks it must be a setting prob (connection speed is 471kbps..i only live in a 512 area).

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
I think USB ADSL modems acting as dial-up devices is normal (at least that's what used to happen with my old Zoom ADSL modem) - so clicking the dial-up connection in order to connect does not seem abnormal. You can check your connection speed here - http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp .

There may be an auto-dial function somewhere in XP ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/ras_autodial_overview.htm ?), or you might want to consider a router ... :)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Bob is correct in his 1st paragraph.

Personally, I use a little prog called cidial which I use to auto dial my AOL adsl and connect on bootup. PM me if you want a copy of this freeware program.

:)

MAdMaN

Top Member
Ell said:
I've had to open AccessRunner DSL and enter user detals and click DIAL to get any internet connections. Is this normal? I have to do this everytime i open a browser for the first time after starting up my machine. I've checked my internet connection settings and they say that AccessRunner DSL is the default (dial-up) connection and the Never DIal a Connection option is highlighted as indicated in ADSL4less's help section but i still have to manually connect each time.
That's where your problem lies. "Never dial a connection" is for those people using a router or connecting through another computer or always-on device. If you set it to either "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" or "Always dial my default connection" it will connect when it needs to (e.g. when opening your web browser).

Can someone help? The pessimistic side of me thinks it's connecting through dial-up but the more sensible side thinks it must be a setting prob (connection speed is 471kbps..i only live in a 512 area).
If you're using an ADSL modem or router, there's no way you'd be connecting through dial-up. ADSL uses much higher frequencies than dial-up (which is why you can still use your phone with ADSL, but not with dial-up). If you were connected through dial-up, you'd be connected at 56kbps. The lower speed you're experiencing is most likely due to either the line quality, distance from the exchange or an unfiltered device on the same line (anything plugged into extensions of the line used for ADSL needs to pass through a microfilter).

Ell

Thanks for all the comments.

Madman: I did have the setting set to "Dial whenever a network connection is not available" but moved it to the Never Dial as this is what was indicated in the support set up instructions. ADSL4Less have a back up dial up and i was concerned that it would try and connect through this. As you can tell i'm fairly knew to the setting-up-broadband m'larky since i live out in the sticks and ADSL is a relatively new feature in our area (and i've never been on dial-up). I am about 6.5km away from the exchange according to samknows so did not expect amazing speeds and infact was quite pleased it was managing 470 odd out of the potential 512kbps.

I've since spoken to ADSL4Less and they indicate that logging in in the fashion i described is the way their set up works so i'll play around with all the suggestions mentioned here. Thanks for the Rasdial and Cidial info rruwalton and Getyouhosting i shall look into these - any downsides to either of them?

Hurrah i'm connected after many months of waiting! Again many thanks.

Phranque

I'm with ADSL4Less

FWIW

I've just escaped from Tiscali, my ADSL4Less connection was set up this morning on Win XP and so far is working well. The Tiscali service failed every day at about 17.00 hrs until early morning and would only work with a Thomson 330 modem and a direct connection to the Post Office master socket. The ADSL4Less connection seems far less choosy and will even work with a Sagem modem (originally from Tiscali) which wouldn't work at all when I had a Tiscali connection. There's no doubt in my mind that one needs the very best modem available to do the job correctly, the BT signal must be very variable.

I NEVER dial 0870 or any other ripoff number so I use the ADSL4Less email support to which they have responded quickly (and sensibly - unlike Tiscali)

Fingers crossed - at £11.99 equivalent, paying annually, it's saving me £48 per year if all goes well!

Frank

KING

Top Member
adsl4less still going ok ?
whats the gaming pings like and any limits to file downloads p2p

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
KING said:
adsl4less still going ok ?
whats the gaming pings like and any limits to file downloads p2p
Don't know what they are like, but I read their cheaper package is charged a year in advance, also they were in breach of the ofcom rule requiring them to be a member of a dispute resolution service (either cisas or otelo) and I haven't seen anything to suggest that they have resolved this yet.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ccases/closed_all/cw_851/#content

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2204)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules