AOL changes on 14th Feb '05

simax

Casual Member
Just a heads up really,

All ADSL speeds are being doubled at no extra charge:

Silver @ £17.99 goes to 512k
Gold @ £24.99 goes to 1MB
Platinum @ £29.99 goes to 2MB!! :eek:

I dunno if existing users have to request the increase in speed or not.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I would like to see the email or link backing this up.

Or perhaps someone's been smoking the weed ;)

simax

Casual Member
The place that I work has just got the new discs with the prices on it.

That's all I am gonna tell you.

Existing 2MB customers I suppose can ask for a reduction in sub price?!?!?!?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I called AOL and they did not deny it. They asked where I had got the info from and I just mentioned I had read it on a forum.

The AOL lady said she could not tell me anything, so perhaps its true and wow if it is! :)

Last edited:

Inactive

ULTIMATE Member
Doesn't affect me, I wouldn't have AOL on my computer at any speed / price...it may put pressure on other more reliable ISP's though, so it could be good news for all I suppose....

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Not bad if its true. Can you use your own equipment on AOL BB now or do i have to use a AOL Modem?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I cant see why you wont be able to use your own modem, although they give you one free! They may just say they don't support the one you use if different to theirs should you run into problems.

What I like is there is no mention of capping or fair useage, even NDO go on about this in their forums. I leave my pc on 24/7 and never have any problems with email inc spam.

If the offer comes to fruition, I would get straight in if I was you :)

leqin

Well that will put an even bigger smile on my face if it happens, so I shall watch out for it happening. AOL's broadband isn't capped and you don't hear any thing mentioned about 'fair use policy' etc etc etc unlike other ISP's who should now have more reason to begin to feel the pinch if they action this... but that should be good for the buying public all round I say.

NomaK

Pro Member
I've been looking to migrate to their 2 meg one for the last couple of weeks. This just makes the migration a lil bit more sweeter.
One Small question tho.I own a Thompson 510 v4 router and a A Point with wireless PCi cards.Would setting up the connections on my 3 pc's using the wireless cards be easy enough ?.

NomaK said:
I've been looking to migrate to their 2 meg one for the last couple of weeks. This just makes the migration a lil bit more sweeter.
One Small question tho.I own a Thompson 510 v4 router and a A Point with wireless PCi cards.Would setting up the connections on my 3 pc's using the wireless cards be easy enough ?.
should be m8

AOL just wont support it when you ring up and there is something technically wrong.

benno

Casual Member
i wonder if this means that aol will now support more than one pc on silver as its a 512 connection

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Do you still have to use their software to connect or can i wack my AOl (if i had a aol username) and password into the modem options on my Linksys router and connect that way, just like i do with pipex.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Ok hummm, its AOL Vs £10 a month saving. Just the 12month contract puts me off.

druid2uk

Top Member
onephat said:
Do you still have to use their software to connect or can i wack my AOl (if i had a aol username) and password into the modem options on my Linksys router and connect that way,.
FWIW I have recently switched to Aol 512 BB from Aol dialup, I installed the whole Aol kit on one of my Pc's using their modem, then I purchased a safecom £23.00 Adsl router from ebuyer, I used this instead of my network hub and can now receive Aol BB on three pc's whether Aol is running or not, so just to confirm that with a router you can access Aol BB without the machine even 'sniffing' the software!

With the safecom modem you have to change a couple of settings to use it correctly with Aol, but if I can set it up anybody can! :eek:

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I called AOL this morning and asked about the speed increase - I mean when will I get the speed increase or price decrease.

The AOL staff this morning took ages as they had to read internal emails to obtain answers - I wondered where the training was?

I was told BT would sort out the speed increase for me and if there was a problem they would call me?? Any bets on this happening 100 - 1 sounds like good odds.

It seems if you run aol's software, a popup appears on screen about the speed increase. When BT sorted my line for adsl they did say it was okay for 512kbs only. I wonder at what stage I will be told I can/ cant get 1mbs and therefore I will have to pay less.

I now need to get a disk/ download AOLs software to see the popup.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2652)
  2. FTTP (2457)
  3. FTTC (1722)
  4. Building Digital UK (1662)
  5. Politics (1541)
  6. Openreach (1511)
  7. Business (1325)
  8. FTTH (1231)
  9. Statistics (1153)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1128)
  11. Fibre Optic (1020)
  12. 4G (973)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (972)
  14. Wireless Internet (971)
  15. Virgin Media (935)
  16. EE (649)
  17. Sky Broadband (639)
  18. TalkTalk (618)
  19. Vodafone (600)
  20. 3G (438)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules