Sponsored

AOL changes on 14th Feb '05

druid2uk

Top Member
FWIW If you do have the aol software, type speed upgrade in the keyword box (when logged on to your master name) and it will tell you when your upgrade is due, mine is not until July! :eek:

druid2uk

Top Member
Of course it is a clever move to stay competitive without actually reducing prices! More people will probably just accept the higher speed than would actually go to a higher speed had they reduced the packages instead so they will make more income this way.

AFAIAA though you can change from one package to another so I presume that if you don't want the higher speed you will be able to swap to the lower package giving you the same for less money. :)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I am trying to cut costs at the moment and cant see how I would gain with a 1mb service. The 512kbs is plenty - I will now pursue a price reduction.

druid2uk

Top Member
I was only able to receive BB from last month but TBH I think that given the choice again I would have gone for 512k at £17.99 rather than pay £24.99 for 1m, mine does not get upgraded until July so I shall wait and try it out before deciding what to do. :)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
As its going to be months until my line will be upgraded (thats if its possible) I have contacted AOL and they have altered my payment to £17.99 for 512kbs.

The only issue is that I wont have access to some of their video content via their browser! Oh dear how will I cope!

druid2uk

Top Member
That seems very fair, How long have you had Aol BB? Are you still in your first year contract? :smilet:

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I signed up Aug/ Sept 2003 so I was well outside the 12mths contract. Unfortunately, I have ended up in another 12mths contract by changing the plan but I aint bothered - There aint another isp that will tolerate my download ratio.

druid2uk

Top Member
TBH I have been on Aol Dialup for 4years but I did consider changing to another Isp for BB, there were cheaper 512k options but I did not want a capped service, considering they never 'quibble' and now with the doubled speeds I reckon that they are hard to beat for value of money! :)

bulldog

ULTIMATE Member
Cheaper 512K ??

AOL got the cheaper unlimited 512k for just £17.99 a month (but the 12 months contract put everyone off)

Now... the cheapest unlimited 512k with (1 month contract) is ADSL4LESS at just £14.99 a month - that was £3 cheaper than AOL. Plus no need for software too.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Update!

Despite AOL promising I would only pay £17.99 for 512kbs, last night they dropped the speed to 256kbs. I asked 5 times yesterday if my speed would change and they promised no.

I was fuming this morning I can tell you - Straight onto AOL (India) this morning to be messed about for 25 mins. They have now promised to put my speed to 512kbs ( it will take 5 working days) and I will get a free month on 13th Feb my billing date.

AOL is excellent unless you need to speak with them.

:(

druid2uk

Top Member
rruwalton said:
Update!

Despite AOL promising I would only pay £17.99 for 512kbs, last night they dropped the speed to 256kbs. I asked 5 times yesterday if my speed would change and they promised no.

I was fuming this morning I can tell you - Straight onto AOL (India) this morning to be messed about for 25 mins. They have now promised to put my speed to 512kbs ( it will take 5 working days) and I will get a free month on 13th Feb my billing date.

AOL is excellent unless you need to speak with them.

:(
Why can't things ever go as planned, the trouble is that some people just don't listen or they have their mind on something else.
Damn annpoying that, how come they can lower your speed in a few mins yet take 5 days to put it back even when it's their fault!

BTW I thought Aol had their call centre in Ireland?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
druid2uk said:
Damn annpoying that, how come they can lower your speed in a few mins yet take 5 days to put it back even when it's their fault!

BTW I thought Aol had their call centre in Ireland?
I feel like calling them back on the speed issue, and I would really like to speak to Bill who was in Ireland.

I still have an issue with Indian staff being called Nancy & Max - like this morning. I mean that's not their real names, and if they worked in the UK they would be called by their real names.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Got home from work - there was an email advising me my service had been downgraded
At 7.30pm got an email saying my adsl had been cancelled

Spent 50mins on phone to AOL tonight - Told I was paying £17.99 for Gold
Told them I was getting silver speed
Spoke to a techy who said he would send an email asking for my adsl not to be cancelled and for Admin to sort my speed out - Told this could take up to a week

What a day!

8.48pm and my speed is back up :) It took 1 email to get me to 512 again and 1/2 an hour - So much for 4-5 working days.

I just hope they don't disconnect me now.

Last edited:

martsmall

Casual Member
does any 1 know if aol support migration ? im on bulldog 2mb @ the mo and am thinking of moving 2 their 29.99 package

thanx in advance for any replies

druid2uk

Top Member
rruwalton said:
What a day!

8.48pm and my speed is back up :) It took 1 email to get me to 512 again and 1/2 an hour - So much for 4-5 working days.

I just hope they don't disconnect me now.
My God, what a mess, I suppose at least the phone is 0800, imagine if this happened with some isp's and you were paying for the call! :eek:
Lol Perhaps next week they will increase your line to 1m and still charge for silver! Then you would have to phone again! Lol :laugh:

Glad you got it sorted though! :)

grovesy

martsmall said:
does any 1 know if aol support migration ? im on bulldog 2mb @ the mo and am thinking of moving 2 their 29.99 package

thanx in advance for any replies
Yea they do support migration . I am waiting to move from bt to aol 2mb but they say it will take aprox 14 days . Hope I have made the right decission .

druid2uk

Top Member
grovesy said:
I am waiting to move from bt to aol 2mb but they say it will take aprox 14 days . Hope I have made the right decission .
You have! I have been with Aol for over 4 years after using many isps before, I have found Aol the best so far, they never quibble how ever much you use them and the phone is 0800 if you get a problem, IMHO they are hard to beat now that the speed has been 'upped'.

Slaying Zero

Casual Member
Can somebody confirm if you need to install AOL’s software to access your account. I can’t see why you would have to… If not then it would seem that these packages are a good deal… Where’s the catch?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2654)
  2. FTTP (2460)
  3. FTTC (1722)
  4. Building Digital UK (1663)
  5. Politics (1542)
  6. Openreach (1512)
  7. Business (1326)
  8. FTTH (1234)
  9. Statistics (1157)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1130)
  11. Fibre Optic (1020)
  12. 4G (975)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (973)
  14. Wireless Internet (972)
  15. Virgin Media (935)
  16. EE (650)
  17. Sky Broadband (639)
  18. TalkTalk (618)
  19. Vodafone (603)
  20. 3G (440)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules