Sponsored

AOL changes on 14th Feb '05

marcaudio

Just an update

:D
In case anyone was interested -
Well i shortlisted a few ISP`s and had my MAC Code ready. I called AOL to make an official complaint about the situation ( found out recently they can not lagally change your speed and charge more ;) )
Guess what? they said 'sorry' and the issue had been escalted and a they had amended procedure. I was offered the upgrade from 512 to 1mb for 19.99 a month. Of course i accepted. Only difference was i actualy got through to the UK (Ireland) Call centre this time and they agreed then and there that the information i was given was crazy. Seems they have seen sense. I can carry on as normal and withtin 7 days my line will transfer to 1mb and i just keep paying me 19.99.per month.
Happy days!!!
:laugh:

marcaudio

Ooops, Spoke to soon!!!
Here is a copy of the email AOL sent me -
No1. -
As per your request(no! they offered), we can confirm that we are doubling the speed of your AOL Broadband Gold service early, as a part of our speed upgrade programme, from up to 512kbps to a faster connection of up to 1 Mbps. This new service will allow you to have an even FASTER broadband connection now.

Do I need to do anything?
You can sit back and relax while we take care of everything. This should take approximately 10 days and we will email you once your speed increase has been set up. Please note you do not need any new equipment to get this faster connection speed.

Your AOL Broadband Gold membership will continue at the same price you are currently paying.

AOL is committed to delivering the highest quality broadband service in the UK and we hope this speed upgrade will increase your enjoyment of the service.

In the meantime, if you have any queries you can either chat online with an agent by visiting AOL Keyword: Live Help, or contact our AOL Member Services team who will be delighted to help you on 0800 *******between 8am and midnight, seven days a week.
Best wishes

AOL Member Services
No2 -
Dear AOL Member

We write to inform you that at your recent request your order for AOL Broadband has been cancelled.(what the ...)

We are very sorry that you have decided not to take up AOL Broadband (what drugs are AOL on here????)at this time and if you would like any further information on the benefits of AOL Broadband or to re-order please do not hesitate to call us on our broadband helpline at 0800 376 4406 for assistance.

Yours sincerely,

AOL Broadband Team
I have just spent another 40 mins on the phone to India-On-Line, only to be cut off when I requested to speak to a supervisor!!! after the rep advised me that i had requested to cancel my account yesterday!!!! I did`nt requestanything of the sort????, and after i told him this he said " oh you cant have 1mb in your erea??? I advised him i can have upto 2mb and a family member just up the road has upgraded from 512 to 1mbt and just recently yo 2mbt`s???? my exchange is enab,ed for up to 2 mbts also. He said my broadband was still going to cancel????
I am calling back and if not satisfiedi will be taking this to smalll claims. Never thought I`d say it but...STAY AWAY FROM AOL!!!!! :mad:

rruwalton

ISP Rep
What a horror story :(

I will only speak to AOL staff in a UK call centre, and do not call them unless there is no alternative.

I wonder whether 'aolbroadband', a member of the adslguide.org website would be able to help you - he/she seems happy to help people.

marcaudio

Fingers crossed

:shrug:
Well i finally got through to a UK call centre
Only to be told by the rep that i shoul`nt have recieved the cancellation email.. and she could`nt explain why i had this email :shrug:
I was advised to do nothing and my spped would be upgraded at no extra and i need not worry as it is being processed and will happen as first advised.
Well Fingers crossed that this is correct and all goes well....
I have to say tho that the AOL customer service in india is very poor, I`m sure this is a training issue and i hope it improves with time.
The help and advice at the UK centre is fine... and they sound confident and reasuring.
It would take too long to explain the nonsense i was told via india on line...A complete farse and nonsense, all a bit faulty towers :laugh:
Fingers crossed

Bolty

Casual Member
Same kind of service here too but on netbreeze which is an aol company (I think) , today I set up an internet connexion for a mate who uses it infrequently, ( I set one up for him last year but it had lapsed due to him not using it for a while) when I originally set up his connection I just made up his details on the spot. when I tried to recreate his account I couldnt remember the DOB that I gave to them so I couldnt procced which was fair enough what with security and such BUT... I was on a 50p per min line and I spent about 2 mins just getting my mates name name over to the chap in India, in the end I had to spell it out using proper phonetics. I must admit I was a bit short with the poor chap on the other end of the phone but at ten bob a minute I was only too aware that the clock was a tickin', I wouldn't like a job in a call centre in India and have to deal with irate english punters like myself and I did feel a little guilty for being quite so short with him.

Anyhow, been online with Pipex for the best part of two weeks now and no problems to report at all, just setup another connection at work with them which went live today and that connects at an indicated 2.2Mbps (but I haven't speed tested it yet)

Anyone want to connect with them? email me cos they have a referal rewards scheme whereby you get free flights !!! :smilet:

marcaudio

AOL Big let down.

Hi just to let you know,
I have been round and around in circles with AOL. My speed did not double as advised, they said wait another 5 days as they will push it through and it`s just a small oversight. Still after 5 days nothing...They said that i should have had the increase by now and could`nt understand why I was still waiting.
I asked them to leave it alone on 512 and just bill me 17.99, guess what...they said we can`t do that!!! And the adviser told me to use my MAC CODE before it expires....I`ve given up on them. I`ve been with AOL for over 7 years including my dial up (over 2 years on broadband) A friend advised me to use F2S... So I`ve gone ahead and will be with F2S from the 12th.
I will say that AOL is and has been reliable...But they have serious problems with Customer Service... If your price is right and your connection stable they are good...Fingers crossed you never need help tho...they need to set themselves some higher goals when it comes to training customer service advisors, not just go abroad because it`s cheap and let people read from screens with no understanding of what they are reading out to you.
Again the UK centres are score the best... but they have obvious communication problems in house between their advisors let alone with their customers.
I have to laugh tho, :laugh:
I`ve heard good things about F2s so I hope It`s all true.
Adios,
Peace, love and a beer or four. :D
Mark.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I asked them to leave it alone on 512 and just bill me 17.99, guess what...they said we can`t do that!!!
They're talking rubbish. I am paying £17.99 for 512 after paying £24.99!

I have said it before, AOL is fine unless you need to talk with them.

They really need to sort out their Customer Services.

marcaudio

Aol C.S.

Hi rruwalton,
Yes a friend of mine told me the same, he had the same problem as me, but eventualy he got through to those nice irish people at AOL UK and they said 'no worrys' well drop it to 17.99 and leave you on 512.
I`m just going to leave it now as I`ll be with F2S on the 12th, If AOL dont mess that up :shrug: Another mate of mine on F2S says I wont regret moving, so fingers crossed. All i want is a decent connection, I have my own email and webspace sorted independent of AOL and I dont use the browser. So it should be fine. I also get the added bonus of the speed increase to 2mbits, should be nice, and it`s not going to cost me a penny more, so fingers crossed, I could end up better off with F2S.
Love , peace and Beer or something stronger :laugh:
Take care,
Marcaudio.

Last edited:

salvador

ULTIMATE Member
AOL upgraded my BB to 1MB yesterday. I fail to notice a big diference when browsing. I remember going from 56k to 512k. I couldn't notice that BB was 10 times faster than 56k when browsing.

Just to convince myself that my BB was going faster I downloaded a big file 226 MB and it was twice as fast as before. I also did a speed test and downloading speed is 975 kbps. I think it was 480 kbps before.

So, now I'm convinced that my BB is going twice the speed when downloading ;)

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Yeh i didnt notice any difference in browsing when i up'ed my speed a year opr so ago, the only thing you notice is the fast download speeds and the ability to do more than one thing at once.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2654)
  2. FTTP (2460)
  3. FTTC (1722)
  4. Building Digital UK (1663)
  5. Politics (1542)
  6. Openreach (1512)
  7. Business (1326)
  8. FTTH (1234)
  9. Statistics (1157)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1130)
  11. Fibre Optic (1020)
  12. 4G (975)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (973)
  14. Wireless Internet (972)
  15. Virgin Media (935)
  16. EE (650)
  17. Sky Broadband (639)
  18. TalkTalk (618)
  19. Vodafone (603)
  20. 3G (440)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules