Sponsored

AOL charging after cancellation

holom

I migrated to bethere in October last year at the end of the 12 months. I handle choosing ISP and not the bills :) The bill payer has only just noticed that they have continued charging since migration.

So after phoning AOL cs they say that after migration the new provider is liable to send AOL notification in order to cancel the service (even though I was told the account would be cancelled at the same time as the migration went through). Are they giving me BS?

The bank can't do anything about it since it was not direct debit (cancelled card).

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
If you have proof that Be* have been supplying you with broadband since October, then obviously that means AOL haven't.

AOL recently sent me a bill and several final demands for 2 months service even though I personally cancelled the account, and managed to get a confirmation email months ago. I'll let them waste a bit more money sending out a few more letters, before I drop the bombshell... :laugh:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I got the same story when I was charged for month 13 of a 12 month contract, after I had migrated to Sky. The AOL rep who phoned me after I sent a letter even thought I was still on AOL's service and was going to cease my line as his software showed that I'd used so many minutes on line that month - I'd logged into my AOL account (from my Sky connection) to check if my AOL account was still "active" and the software counted that as time connected :rolleyes: .

I didn't bother to dispute it in the end, but only because I'd worked out that they'd only charged me the correct number of 11 payments in total (I think I got an extra free month because an AOL rep had "reverted" my account to dial-up for a month when they screwed up my regrade so I couldn't connect)

My understanding was that BT are supposed to notify the losing provider. In either case if AOL feel they are entitled to be paid for the intervening months, I think AOL should take it up with them [BT or Be] and refund you.

Your card provider should be able to do a charge back as the service clearly wasn't supplied. And evidence that you'd migrated to another supplier ought to be enough to prove that.

If youir bank insists on being awkward the other option is to follow AOL's formal dispute procedure and write to AOL asking for either a refund or a deadlock letter so you can take the case to their arbitration service. I suspect you'll get a refund if you persist as arbitration is MUCH more expensive.

holom

Thanks for the replies. I think we will perservere on this because its nearly £60. I'll contact Be and see if they are willing to help with regards to proof.
Card provider doesn't want to help other than cancel the card :S

The AOL cs was following the BS script :( they should burn in hell for such underhanded methods

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
If you don't get anywhere with your card provider and decide to make a formal complaint to AOL, the address to write to and info required is in their Ofcom approved code of practice, under Dispute Resolution.

http://help.aol.co.uk/aol-ofcom-code-of-practice/article/20070129100709990001

They'll probably phone you, so keep a copy of the letter so you have the facts to hand in case you need to argue. If they were to refuse to refund you, ask for a deadlock letter so you can immediately ask their arbitration service www.CISAS.org.uk to consider your case and award a refund.

CISAS costs you nothing and their decision is binding on the ISP,and I believe it costs the ISP several hundred pounds in fees, which is why I think AOL are likely to refund you before it gets that far, if they are likely to lose anyway.

holom

Thanks for the help! I don't know how you find the time. I'll get a letter in the post asap - recorded delivery as well. Probably ought to tell them how bad the service was before I left - that being the whole reason for leaving.

Agrajag - just hope the debt collectors don't turn up, but it would be funny for AOL to get their bill for time wasting!

holom

I sent AOL a letter (recorded delivery) a few days after the previous post and haven't heard anything from them. Should I just go apply for refund through CISAS now?

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
Were you informed that Carfone Warehouse was taking over? I wasn't. I had no end of trouble with their switch-over and still never twigged.

Anyway the point is if you are writing to ASOL the letter isn't going to get an answer is it? Shouldn't you be writing to Carfone Warehouse?

holom

Nevermind: just received a letter today, AOL will be refunding the charges made :)

@Weatherlawyer - I never really took much notice of what they said in their emails but I believe while I was subscribed to them they were trading (and still are?) as "AOL" even though they have been owned by cpw since early 2007

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2753)
  3. FTTC (1784)
  4. Building Digital UK (1741)
  5. Politics (1664)
  6. Openreach (1621)
  7. Business (1433)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1223)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1053)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (516)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules