Sponsored

AOL FTP and HOMETOWN going away???!!!

DavidB

It seems that AOL is scrapping its FTP and Hometown including service with no alternative.

When I enter my ftp space on AOL I get a long message from AOL saying these services will be no longer available from the end of October 2008.

I run our village website from my ftp space on AOL with webdiversion to it from my domain name registry.

I have seen no other mention of this incredible decision anywhere else - this seems amazing. If its true it must be the end of AOL. I must certainly migrate to another ISP to keep the village website going.

Has anyone out there got any news or information about this?

DavidB

ipguy

Casual Member
Aol

It's probably not mentioned anywhere because AOL sucks, everyone knows it. I myself have no idea what AOL ftp space is but why would you move ISP just because of that? You can get good website hosting for like £3/month these days.

:laugh:

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Cutting costs :(

The service is so inconsistent nowadays.

I called them 2 days ago to get my MAC number and they didn't even try to talk me out of it! I know have my MAC and have no idea where to go.

I was thinking of SKY?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If you're covered by Sky or O2 (Be Broadband's) unbundled network then pick one of those two. On the other hand if you only have BT based coverage then look towards Entanet's resellers (Aquiss, ADSL24 etc.) for bandwidth flexibility or IDNet, Zen and Fast.co.uk for quality. I'm not sure how good O2 or Sky's BT based non-LLU packages are.

Meanwhile I'm currently looking around for info. on the Hometown situation and have found a bit, checking to see if it's worthy of a news item.

DavidB

AOL Hometown

Mark - thanks for confirming AOL FTP and Hometown are going away.

I will certainly check out your sister site to choose a web host for my website. After migrating the website, I will switch to another (and cheaper) ISP ending my 12-15 year relationship with AOL. I have been paying £32.99 per month to AOL. You ISP Review site will be really helpful in choosing a new ISP.

DavidB

IP Guy etc

Thanks for your response. I am checking hosts (anyone any suggestions? HostPapa.co.uk looks good on paper). Shame about AOL though because from what I've seen of others it has a nice easy interface (though the service does seem to have got flaky recently) - The AOL interface certainly looks better compared to BT which my son has - BT looks (and performs) awful.

David

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Depends entirely on whether you want to put quality before price or visa versa. Since you only had AOL space before then I guess you won't need a lot of resources. Zen, Memset, Namesco and UKFast often win a lot of praise for quality. Price is harder to judge, you take a risk the less you pay.

DavidB

Web Host

Thanks Mark

After spending some time evaluating web hosts I have decided to go with HostPapa (a Canadian outfit). On paper it looks good and has good reviews. The price is reasonable for my usage.

I will let you know if it turns out to be a bad choice.

I still don't understand AOL's rationale or philosophy in abandoning FTP.

Once I have migrated my website, I will switch ISPs. My stepson has BT which seems to work Ok but has what I consider to be an awful interface. O2 really does look the best but their best packages are not available as yet in my area.

Regards

David

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2188)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1602)
  5. Politics (1421)
  6. Openreach (1415)
  7. Business (1234)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1034)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (895)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (594)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (514)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules