Sponsored

AOL member - may / may not be able to get TalkTalk fibre

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Hello, the first post in here for 2yrs!

I've been an AOL customer for almost 11yrs and as AOL do not offer fibre I have been checking around for fibre.
I can get fibre through SKY, BT, EE and Plusnet (and others) but as a long standing member of AOL, owned by TT. I thought I'd get a good good deal if I went with TalkTalk.

I have been checking their website for months to see if I can get their fibre. Using their checker with my postcode realises a message saying I cannot get it.

Yesterday I had reason to call AOL and the CS rep asked if I was interested in fibre via TalkTalk. I said I had been looking into this for months and according to the website, cannot receive it. The rep checked her system and said I could. She'll be calling me tomorrow (Mon 2nd Dec) to offer me a deal.

I wait in anticipation!

PS I've stuck with AOL as I only pay £21 a mth including line rental - calls to 01/02/03/0845 and 0870 are foc all week long. I can also call the USA for nothing. Broadband is unlimited
Cheapest fibre would be £35 per mth inc line rental

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l wouldnt trust their version "unlimited", it was quite a while back but AOL asked me to leave and let me out of the contract six months before it was due to end with the reason "you are downloading too much", suffice to say l was downloading maybe 70/80gb a month at the time and anything over 60gb a month wasnt considered residential usage.

in fact l did approach them on their unlimited claim, while generally youll see them saying they are totally unlimited, its put in such a vague way that it can also mean "an unlimited time online" which to me if it isnt relating to data transfer then what they are really saying is you can be online all the time as long as you dont spend it all downloading.

regardless like l said it was quite a few years ago this happened to me so things could have changed, but none the less l thought ld share my AOL story.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Thanks for the post timeless. Hope you are well :)

Until a year ago I was hammering my AOL and 60gig would have been a quiet month.

Anyway, let's see what happens tomorrow - when / if AOL (TT) call me

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The only reason I can think of for being able to get FTTC via other ISPs but not TalkTalk, other than an out-of-date database (very possible), is perhaps in areas where FTTC is available but their LLU platform is not (ISPs tend to still use LLU for the supply side though FTTC itself isn't a fully unbundled service like ADSL). But this is highly unlikely because TalkTalk's network coverage is extremely good and thus the chances of being able to get FTTC but not their LLU platform are remote.

Anyway it will be news if you can get FTTC from AOL and still access their service because so far the AOL Broadband website hasn’t listed a superfast broadband package. Let us know what happens.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
truth be told tho l highly recommend sky fttc if you can get it. lve been pretty happy with them so far.. and lve got into a habit of transferring £10 to the account every week as unlike other services they actually take credit from whats on the account rather than debiting it regardless of credit, as lve done that from day one lm now two months ahead with my bills which is pretty helpful if we go through a rough month, the only downside tho is the recent hike in line rental but at least it was only by a pound.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I have been offered:

18 months contract
Area speed average 40.meg
Broadband £2.50
Line rental £15.40
anytime calls Optional £5.50
Caller Display FREE
FIBRE MEDIUM £10
Voicemail FREE
Ex-directory listing FREE
Monthly total. £ 33.40
Total charge will be £18.00 for 12months
thereafter £33.40 for 6 months

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
fibre medium? ld assume there would be limits going by what its called. tho truth be told l pay approximately £35 which is something like £15 line rental and £20 for the fibre (thats taking into account the rental rise recently).

l believe caller display and withholding your number is free, the service lm on allows free calls evenings and weekends as well as to some 084 numbers (tho there is an hour limit at which point you can re-call) its like the evening and weekend package (tho they call it something different) tho it does have an anytime option which is a few quid extra.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
So I ordered last night over the phone and received a confirmation email immediately, which included the deal agreed.
Today I received a call from TalkTalk confirming the order backed up with an email, again with the deal agreed.

Live date is 18th December!

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
thats kinda funny, its been about a year for me on fibre, but essentially l was online the same day :p tho l did order earlier there was some annoying issues with products on my line but essentially it was the same timescale and exact same dates LOL.

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
So I ordered last night over the phone and received a confirmation email immediately, which included the deal agreed.
Today I received a call from TalkTalk confirming the order backed up with an email, again with the deal agreed.

Live date is 18th December!
Would have thought a tight Yorkshireman like you would have gone with the local skinflints, Plusnet - like me. ;)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Would have thought a tight Yorkshireman like you would have gone with the local skinflints, Plusnet - like me. ;)
Being a tight Yorkshireman, this deal is the best available.

Fibre, unlimited calls 24/7 and free line rental for 12mths!
I'd be paying around £40 with BT / Sky

rruwalton

ISP Rep
So I've found out I cannot get TalkTalk fibre!

I called them to query the welcome pack and they told me I cant get it.

I've cancelled the order and will be leaving AOL when I can find an alternative supplier.

What a load of to$$ers

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Talk about leading you up the garden path! :(

Out of interest what kind of broadband speed do you currently receive, I wonder if you're at the outer reach of the local cabinet.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Talk about leading you up the garden path! :(

Out of interest what kind of broadband speed do you currently receive, I wonder if you're at the outer reach of the local cabinet.
Mark, they checked before telling me I could get fibre. They even said they'd consult a Manager before sorting a deal. I have 2 emails from 2 TT staff which shows the deal including fibre.

I can get fribre with Sky, BT, EE and Plusnet. Not sure why TT cant offer it. However, that's all cancelled. I want to leave AOL but unless I get a super deal I'd be cutting my noise off to spite my face.

My download speed is 3.5mb. Although it has been above 4.2 in the past. AOL cant seem to improve my speed. The line stats are 4193 kbps as I type this.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
well if you cant get it with AOL, l do recommend sky, so far they have been pretty great.. its been a year now since l signed with them however you will have to take your phone line over to them as well but for the speeds l get its worth it.

prices l pay are as follows:
Fibre: £20
line rental: £15
(if you want unlimited calling package its slightly more, no more than a fiver ld say)

also ld highly recommend using topcashback to order, l got £80 cashback for my order last year but looks like its £90 at the moment, will pm you the information.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If you go with Sky then make sure their unbundled network is also available in your area as they often use that to supply capacity.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
to my knowledge unless the exchange has been unbundled with their hardware you cant get fibre.. lm pretty sure its one of the prerequisites to getting fibre with sky.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2300)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1462)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1131)
  9. Statistics (1119)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1070)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Wireless Internet (932)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (931)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules