Sponsored

AOL member - may / may not be able to get TalkTalk fibre

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Happy New Year to everyone.

Update 04.01.14

I chose to go with Plusnet but had an unreal 24hrs with them texting me and wanting to change my landline number. When I called them to enquire about this, a pre recorded message informed me of a 45mins waiting time before someone would be available to speak to me. This was not a good sign so the next day I cancelled the order.

Anyway, due to my experience with TT, I'd emailed their CEO. I was contacted by her Office Manager who is now assisting in sorting out fibre for me. He said I'd receive the same discounts as I did with AOL.

Yesterday was "line and broadband" go live day. Up until I went to bed at 11pm I was still on AOL. This morning I seem to be on TT as my Account is now showing live. An email telling me I was now live with TT would have been useful.

I am still using my old D Link router with the same AOL login details. I tried the HG523a router they sent me and its so much slower.

Synch speed has reduced from 4200 to 3245?? and download speed down about .4mb

Lets see how it goes.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
kinda reminds me of my switchover day.. tho the moment my connection went down the sync speed went up.. 10mins later a openreach guy visited and visited to put in the faceplate and BT modem and after him annoyingly deciding to rip the socket off the wall which meant replacing and taking both my IPlates (which l had purchased myself) and getting some faff about how they remained property of BT (despite most BT iplates being branded) l spend weeks complaining tho after openreaches reply following along the lines of his they never did get back to me so l guess its a lost cause.

still your supposed to be on fibre? thats what l thought you said in which case you should have a new faceplate to install and a new modem which is VDSL compatible.. back when l had mine installed engineer visits were mandatory and self installs werent offered tho l wish they had been.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
First I have to switch to TT and then they'll sort the fibre. All being well this won't take long.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I'm impressed. The CEO Manager has sorted out ordering fibre albeit the installation date needs changing. More than happy with what I will be paying.

I posted on TT's forum about my speed decrease and one of the TT staff picked up on it and my speed is now 4400kps.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
good to hear things are being sorted, kinda surprised with sky at the moment they are offering free range extenders at the moment so decided to take up the offer :p

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
I chose to go with Plusnet but had an unreal 24hrs with them texting me and wanting to change my landline number. When I called them to enquire about this, a pre recorded message informed me of a 45mins waiting time before someone would be available to speak to me. This was not a good sign so the next day I cancelled the order. ...
It's a shame there appear to be current issues with Plusnet CS wait times(apparently they are opening a new call centre in Leeds). When I signed up last Easter I had zero problems getting through to CS/getting tickets sorted(I've also had ADSL with them on and off over the years and never had any CS problems in the past). The products they provide are pretty good in terms of both performance and value for money, it's unfortunate they seem to be having issues with an overloaded(?) CS dept. :hrmph:

EDIT: I have PM'd Plusnet's Bob Pullen regarding your issues rruwalton so there is a possibility he will respond to this thread at some point in the future.

Last edited:

bpullen

ISP Rep
Happy New Year to everyone.
Happy New Year! :)

I chose to go with Plusnet but had an unreal 24hrs with them texting me and wanting to change my landline number. When I called them to enquire about this, a pre recorded message informed me of a 45mins waiting time before someone would be available to speak to me. This was not a good sign so the next day I cancelled the order.
That's disappointing to hear. Sorry we kept you waiting and sorry to have lost your custom :(

It's a shame there appear to be current issues with Plusnet CS wait times(apparently they are opening a new call centre in Leeds). When I signed up last Easter I had zero problems getting through to CS/getting tickets sorted(I've also had ADSL with them on and off over the years and never had any CS problems in the past). The products they provide are pretty good in terms of both performance and value for money, it's unfortunate they seem to be having issues with an overloaded(?) CS dept. :hrmph:
It's true that we've been /extremely/ busy of late. Much of this is born from the fact that we've quickly outgrown our HQ in Sheffield. As you've alluded to, we've recently opened a new call centre in Leeds. The first two Support teams are now fielding live customers enquiries, we've a further 30 new staff and training and another 30 starting next week. As the new recruits complete induction training and are brought online, the wait times should improve significantly.

We're also in the process of updating the code that's responsible for the near real-time stats provided here. This will provide better visibility of the call queues/wait times at any given time.

Time will tell of course but rest assured we're working hard to improve the situation.

Best regards,

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Thanks Bob2002 for your post and all your helpful comments.

Well since the email to TT's CEO I can honestly say I have never received service so good - I mean it!

My TT went live last Friday. I commented about a drop on the TT forums and a member of their staff altered my profile and improved it.

Last Monday the CEO Office Manager contacted me with a fibre installation date for next Thurs 16th Jan. This was not convenient and he came back with next Monday 13th Jan. They sent my new router by courier and I now have it plugged in via the adsl socket.

They have matched what I was paying with AOL and I will pay 50% of the usual cost for fibre.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Whilst I'm at work, BT Openreach have installed my fibre.

My wife, who is at home, says the engineer installed a "white" box that plugs into the mains. Anyone know what this would be please? As we only had 2 mains sockets the engineer plugged his box in and the router leaving the mains for the landline phone with no power, so until I get an extension we have no landline.

Oh and AOL have billed me for contract breakage despite notes on my account saying I wont be charged.

Cheers
Richard

LeeH

ISP Rep
It will be the VDSL modem like this

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l can verify the post by LeeH, this is what l have as well. the above is an image of the VDSL modem which is then plugged into the router which does the logging in part.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Thanks LeeH. The dsl from the BT socket runs into it and then there's a cat cable that runs from the LAN port into the Fibre connection on the TT router. I didn't know this was needed.

Anyway, all up and working. I spent 20mins tidying the BT guys mess up. He'd even left his rubbish.

LeeH

ISP Rep
No problem, how are the speeds on your line?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Hello Bob, the nearest cabinet is a few hundred yards away.

Using my phone's speed test app, my speed is 35/36 mbps this morning.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
He'd even left his rubbish.
kinda funny really considering the engineer that visited me did clean up after himself, but also ran off with not only 2 iplates ld purchased myself (one of which l was using) but also a pack of screw drivers that wasnt even mine (borrowed them from a friend, had to replace them to, forgot to mention that in earlier posts, still openreach didnt do more than side with their engineer).

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2529)
  2. FTTP (2251)
  3. FTTC (1673)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1443)
  6. Openreach (1429)
  7. Business (1257)
  8. Statistics (1109)
  9. FTTH (1103)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (599)
  18. TalkTalk (584)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules