Sponsored

AOL or Router fault?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
After my pc has been on a while the adsl speed slows right down and I cant access websites.

If I switch off the pc and router at the mains and then switch back on, after restart the speed is back and access to sites is fine.

I have tried re-booting the router via 192.168.0.1 but this does not help.

When I asked AOL they said it was down to 'hard drive clutter' :confused:

I'd appreciate some help on this please.

Many thanks :)

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
does it work after rebooting the computer when that happens?

if thats the case ld be inclined to check your computer.. possibly check the hosts file located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc filename will be hosts open it within a text editor and see if there are a crap load of entries...

its not uncommon for spyware programs to use the hosts file to redirect malware and spyware using the file however the problem comes where computers are trying to load many 1000s of entries which can slow the computer down and also render the internet useless because on each page load it looks up these entries to make sure they arent loading.. you culd call the hosts file a local point of DNS

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Thanks Timeless.

This is in the 'hosts' file
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
doesnt look like a hosts problem :| like bob said l would check the processes, however the hosts would usually be my first port of call, however if the process SVCHOST is causing issues its damn near impossible to track issues if they are computer related due to how many sub processes it accesses and starts.

so if you can test the theory that just rebooting your computer fixes things l would run hijackthis (google it the first link will contain a page that has the program) then post a log of what you see for further analysis.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Try just rebooting the router see if that sorts the problem, could be the NAT table issue, does it do it after you have been using a certain program? does it cause ping speeds to increase? Normally is it a router or computer issue but it can be the port on the line card your connected to.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
true but if it happens often it might be worth trying the system first, if he is on a MAX product it could cause issues which lm sure you are aware...

and to be honest lm running my netgear as well and while l have had problems in the past l found by turnng of upnp my problems are minimal in fact lve hardly had any NAT problems (l flashed the firmware of my old aol modem and it works pretty well)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Thanks for your help guys :)

I obtained the programme Timesless suggested. Here's the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0
Scan saved at 20:15:26, on 09/02/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2\bin\aDefragService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartService.exe
C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2\bin\defragActivityMonitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\PCI Audio Applications\Bin\EchoCtrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2\bin\defragTaskBar.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Bandwidth Monitor Pro\Bandwidth Monitor Pro.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\ImApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PCSuite.exe
C:\Program Files\ITE\ITE IT8212 ATA RAID Controller\RaidMgr.exe
F:\Program Files\FreeMeter\FreeMeter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcScnSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclUSBSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclRSSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\utorrent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
F:\Other\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/triggerpages_mmcom/default.html
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Echo Control] C:\Program Files\PCI Audio Applications\Bin\EchoCtrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIE.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus Photo R220"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DefragTaskBar] "C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2\bin\defragTaskBar.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Bandwidth Monitor Pro] "C:\Program Files\Bandwidth Monitor Pro\Bandwidth Monitor Pro.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OE] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PeerGuardian] C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\utorrent.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [kdx] C:\Program Files\Kontiki\Khost.exe -all
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [nlsf] cmd.exe /C move /Y "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetub.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetup.dll" (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [nlsf] cmd.exe /C move /Y "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetub.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetup.dll" (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [nlsf] cmd.exe /C move /Y "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetub.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetup.dll" (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [nlsf] cmd.exe /C move /Y "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetub.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetup.dll" (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: FreeMeter.lnk = F:\Program Files\FreeMeter\FreeMeter.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAID Manager.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: AshampooDefragService - - C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2\bin\aDefragService.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Protection Against Spyware (PcScnSrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcScnSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe

--
End of file - 7429 bytes

rruwalton

ISP Rep
As mentioned in my first post rebooting the router (netgear) does not sort the problem. However, disconnecting my pc and router from the mains does.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
hmm cant see anything seriously wrong, altho there are allot of things there :D

its possible that kontiki process might be bogging down the router or just your system its not unknown for bandwidth intensive programs to do such things, you could call them bottlenecks.. to be honest while l have some inclinations of things to try without sitting in front of you system its hard to work out where to start, but working out if process usage is high while the issue occurs might lead to possible ideas unless as l said about SVCHOST which could make it damn near impossible to locate.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
I had similar problems with my Netgear (from AOL as well :rolleyes:) as detailed here.

To cut a long story short, it was the power supply. After replacing it, the difference in performance was surprising.

Something to try if all else fails.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I had similar problems with my Netgear (from AOL as well :rolleyes:) as detailed here.

To cut a long story short, it was the power supply. After replacing it, the difference in performance was surprising.

Something to try if all else fails.
Umm, I have an old modem (from AOL) in the garage. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip.

I don't see the Kontiki programme running and have altered the startup list so some of the software does not run from boot.

May I than everyone for taking an interest and helping me. :)

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
lm currently using my DG843G v3 from AOL no probs so far altho l do notice page dropping allot more than l used to.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
lm currently on the firmware version V4.01.28 works ok for me, altho l do know there are issues with logging relating to how it picks up drops of connection...

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
Hard to believe the support for AOL has died of Carphone Warehouse. At least it wasn't a lingering death. Looks like I'll soon be running Linux.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2753)
  3. FTTC (1784)
  4. Building Digital UK (1741)
  5. Politics (1664)
  6. Openreach (1621)
  7. Business (1433)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1223)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1053)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (516)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules