Sponsored

AOL router help

macp

Casual Member
After finally getting very annoyed with the ridiculously slow speeds & excuses from AOL I wrestled my MAC code from them and am in the process of switching to Xilo.Having been given the Thomson Speedtouch 585 wireless router with my AOL package 3yrs ago will I have any problems using this with my new ISP or will I have to purchase a new router ?

Also apparently I will have to make some changes in the router settings when I switch to Xilo,not looking forward to that but I seem to have lost my password so cant get into the settings can I simply just reset and start again ?

Thankyou in advance.

uno

ISP Rep
You should be able to press and hold the button at the back, marked reset for 10~ or so seconds. The power light should change colour or flash rapidly to inform once reset.

When you next try and view a website, it should ask you to start the web config wizard. During this, it'll ask for your username and password that we provided you via email as well as setting a new admin password.

This assumes the router isn't locked to AOL. If that is the case, you'll need to buy a new one.

Matt

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I think Matt has covered most of the points and I'm sure you'll be happy with Xilo.

Still, if after the reset you find that the router is still hard-coded for AOL and thus preventing your use of other settings for a different ISP then another solution might be to flash the default firmware for that particular model.

The standard reset should return your routers own software and passwords to the default, though I believe that the router itself will then launch a Wizard when you try to access its gateway IP from your web browser (e.g. http://192.168.1.254) and so the default password will not be needed (depends, some routers do this and others hard-code a default admin pw).

As it happens Zen Internet has a guide for this that may help, assuming you even need it.

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle.aspx?ArticleID=10939

macp

Casual Member
You should be able to press and hold the button at the back, marked reset for 10~ or so seconds. The power light should change colour or flash rapidly to inform once reset.

When you next try and view a website, it should ask you to start the web config wizard. During this, it'll ask for your username and password that we provided you via email as well as setting a new admin password.

This assumes the router isn't locked to AOL. If that is the case, you'll need to buy a new one.

Matt
Thanks Matt

macp

Casual Member
I think Matt has covered most of the points and I'm sure you'll be happy with Xilo.

Still, if after the reset you find that the router is still hard-coded for AOL and thus preventing your use of other settings for a different ISP then another solution might be to flash the default firmware for that particular model.

The standard reset should return your routers own software and passwords to the default, though I believe that the router itself will then launch a Wizard when you try to access its gateway IP from your web browser (e.g. http://192.168.1.254) and so the default password will not be needed (depends, some routers do this and others hard-code a default admin pw).

As it happens Zen Internet has a guide for this that may help, assuming you even need it.

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle.aspx?ArticleID=10939
Brilliant response thankyou Mark now all I have to worry about is changing the router settings when I go live with Xilo.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1425)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (412)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules