Sponsored

AOL support boo boo's

friedfred

We have been experiencing severe problems with our AOL broadband connection over the last week in Brighton.
Our connection remains constant with AOL, but AOL keep re-issuing our router with a new IP address about once every 10 minutes.
Our neighbour also uses AOL and has had the same issue.

Here is a transcript of my conversation with AOL broadband support on Saturday 11th July 2010:

me: Hi, we're having trouble with our broadband. The connection seems to constantly drop.
support: are you using a router or a modem?
me: router
support: can you tell me the make and model of your router?
me: netgear DG834G V3
support: Is the 3rd light green or flashing amber?
me: it is green constantly, both when we have internet access and when the connection drops. Each time the connection drops, we are issued with a new IP address. This all happens without the 3rd green light flashing etc.
support: on your computer please press start/programs/Accessories and right click the "Comand prompt" link and select run as administrator.
me: ok
support: now type IPCONFIG
me: already done all this, but ok.
support: please tell me the IP Address and the Default gateway.
me: IP Address 192.168.0.2 and the gateway 192.168.0.1
support: the default gateway should be an AOL IP address, the one you have isn't.
me: I am on a router, the default gateway is my routers IP address on my network isn't it?
support: no
me: ok, I'm pretty sure it is. 192.168.0.1 is my lan port IP address.
support: can you see a wireless option in the IP list?
me: nope
support: can you access your router control panel i nyour browser?
me: yes, at http://192.168.0.1

The rep then asked me to look at various settings on my PC. I told her that it wasn't a PC issue as we use various other devices to access the internet via out router and AOL connection.

This conversation continued for another 15 minutes before I realised that the whole support session was scripted when the rep started asking me exactly the same questions again from the beginning of the call.

Don't get me wrong, the rep was incredibly polite and patient, but didn't seem able to deviate from the script she was following on screen. i.e. i would have expected her to check if there might be a problem locally in Brighton with the service or exchange etc.

My neighbour had a friend who worked for AOL who apparently said that even if a rep is aware technically of another solution to a problem, they are not allowed to deviate from the java based script application they are following. The script was apparently originally developed for CompuServe 2000 in Bristol, when AOL bought out CompuServe.

Anyway, this isn't a whinge. Just thought I would share before we are disconnected for good from AOL as we are moving to Plus.net.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The script also seems wrong since your gateway IP would not be an AOL IP :) and I'm not quite sure what a "wireless option in the IP list" would be but that's a poor way for them to explain wireless network settings lol.

In either can the "re-issuing our router with a new IP address about once every 10 minutes" is not the source of your problem but a symptom of the line dropping out, most likely due to a noise, power, interference or wiring issue.

I see you have moved on but if your neighbour is also experiencing the same problem then the issue might follow to your new ISP, on the other hand it could be a problem with AOL's unbundled line and then you'd be fine.

In any case, if you post your router stats (noise margin, attenuation etc.) then there are plenty of people on this forum who can diagnose more about what might be happening.

You can also post a review for AOL here:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/products/172.html

Please add one for PlusNet too, once you're connected.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2513)
  2. FTTP (2208)
  3. FTTC (1660)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1429)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1240)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1077)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1040)
  11. Fibre Optic (970)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (910)
  14. 4G (901)
  15. Virgin Media (859)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (581)
  19. Vodafone (520)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules