Sponsored

AOL .. what the heck.

Rept

Hi,

I -did the mistake- and became a customer of them.
At start the connection speed with them (according to my modem-router) was 8Mbit... but the speed was around 200-250kb/sec..

I called them and they informed me that my landline was capable of max 2mbit, so my speed was ok..

One week ago, I noticed that the connection speed was too slow (from 3kb/sec to 40kb/sec). The router status say that the connection speed is 576 kbit. I called AOL and they told me that its the max speed of my line.

Now I am wonder HOW the heck is possible that the first month I was connected with 8mbit (even 2mbit real speed) and now I am connected with 0.5mbit.. unless the AOL changed my speed...

Any ideas?

Rept

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hi Rept.

Could you say how your internal network is set up, wireless or wired, distance and type of internal wireing. Also have you checked filters and changed them, borrowed another router from a friend or neighbour to see if the speed is still the same?

Rept

Hi,

I am wired on the router (DSL-2640R), I use an rj45 (2meters) cable just to connect with my router.
Router is connected to one (and only) phone socket of the house.

I tried 3 other filters and one another (netgear dg834g) router, same results.. (and as you see NO errors on the line)

Downstream Line Rate : 576 kbps
Upstream Line Rate : 288 kbps

WAN Statistics

Service VPI/VCI Protocol Received Transmitted
Pkts Errs Drops Pkts Errs Drops
- 0/38 PPPoA 8825 0 0 6742 0

ADSL Statistics

Mode: G.DMT
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 576 kbps 288 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 36.0 27.0
Attenuation (dB): 18.5 8.5
Output Power (dBm): 5.5 11.5

Super Frames: 26842 26842
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 59944 31708
Data Cells: 191018 31708
Bit Errors: 0 0

TIA

rept.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Would seem that the line could have been capped at that speed just out of curiosity is your exchange unbundled by AOL LLU?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The distance given there is very much as the crow fly’s from point to point, while the cable could in fact run for several times more. One of my friends in MK lives just 1KM from his exchange but the cable is apparently about 6KM long due to the way it loops around.

However your line stats look pretty good to me, with a high SNR and low Attenuation. I'm curious, is AOL your first broadband ISP and if not then what (speeds) did you get before? I think you’d be better off with a quality provider rather than AOL, which is owned by Carphone and not really economical unless you live in an unbundled area.

Sadly you’re probably locked into a contract now and the speed would need to go even lower for it to be considered a proper fault; not that complaining about it won’t help :) . You should also seriously consider installing a BT iPlate or similar filter to help rule out any local problems on your line.

Further tips:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/adsltips

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
it seriously sounds like you have a fault on the line. Might be worth ringing AOl and asking for them to log it

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hi Rept

As AOL hasn't unbundled your exchange then you are on BT's IP stream can you go to http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com/ complete the speed test and post your findings here. It should show more information like this:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 6464 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4907 kbps

After re-reading your router stats they have put you on a fixed BB the upload gives it away if you were on ADSLmax then your upload would be 446mbps for home product and 832mbps for office like I show above in my speed test.. Complete the BT speed test post the results.
What are you paying AOL per month?
What package did you sign up for?

Phone them once you have all the proof needed if they still refuse to sort it fill out our complaints page if you are willing you can ask Mark.J to send your complaint email to someone higher than AOL tech support but first need to try the correct method.

You are certainly on a capped connection to due to upoad so low.

Rept

thanx for the help.

I will try later to do the tests..as I am away from home now.

I am on Wireless broadband, (4.99 x 3-months, 9.99 after then)
Its without contract, as I have plans to change flat after about one year (or less).
To say the truth, the speed its ok for surfing only, but when I see videos from you-tube (for example) its very annoying..
I am not frequent downloader but two days ago I managed to download the Open-Office (170MB) and took almost 4 hours! That's completely ridiculous.

Also, my partner called them but she is not tech expert and she did not understand what their CS said. Unfortunately I have a mild hearing loss and I cannot communicate with them on the phone. I sent them an email too and waiting a reply (BTW AOL has no text-phone and their "live chat" is simply a joke)

thanx

Rept.

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2188)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1602)
  5. Politics (1421)
  6. Openreach (1415)
  7. Business (1234)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1034)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (895)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (594)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (514)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules