Sponsored

Aol Without The Software

Casraik

hi i have had some Pm's recently asking how this is done so here is a brief overview

i will assume you are using broadband with the bt voyager 100 modem and winxp

in your network connections , when you install the drivers bt puts it's own connection there for testing purposes (for you to make sure the line is working etc etc )

if you right click that and choose create copy , this will put a duplicate connection setting in the window , now rename that icon to be called AOL
then double click the icon you just renamed and in username you will see "bt_test_user@startup_domain"
change that to yourusername@aol.com (the @aol.com is important don't forget it )

then enter your password , click the save for me only bit , and connect :)

just load up a few pages in Internet Explorer to check it works and away you go , obviously your firewall will check at first and ask permissions etc , but just click yes :) , this worked for me , if you have any trouble feel free to contact me and i can walk you thru it on AIM if you like

Good Luck :)

this will also allow you to use ICS (internet connection sharing) it works great for me , i got the 1mb connection 2 pc's playing online games and no lag

Last edited:

rruwalton

ISP Rep
.........and if you add cidial (a free download) configure it for AOL, stick it in your startup folder, AOL connects to the net on boot up - Great heh!

helper

AOL rules - no matter what they will always be highly rated by me.

Shaun

ULTIMATE Member
rruwalton said:
.........and if you add cidial (a free download) configure it for AOL, stick it in your startup folder, AOL connects to the net on boot up - Great heh!
When I connected to the net with a PCI ADSL modem, I used to use windows scheduled tasks to run CiDial as my computer was booting, to establish the internet connection, so it was there even before I've logged into my computer :)

Zer0_2003

Pro Member
Why use an extra application? Why not just drag a copy of IE to the Startup folder?
Don't forget that you'll also need to set up your mail client as well. A tip here, AOL utilises IMAP.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • NOW TV £22.00 (*40.00)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2690)
  2. FTTP (2532)
  3. FTTC (1739)
  4. Building Digital UK (1679)
  5. Politics (1574)
  6. Openreach (1538)
  7. Business (1356)
  8. FTTH (1277)
  9. Statistics (1188)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1157)
  11. Fibre Optic (1033)
  12. 4G (1000)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (985)
  14. Wireless Internet (985)
  15. Virgin Media (962)
  16. EE (666)
  17. Sky Broadband (649)
  18. TalkTalk (631)
  19. Vodafone (624)
  20. 5G (460)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules