Sponsored

AOL would not connect so they refreshed the line?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
This morning I had no access to the net. I checked the info on my Thomson STV585 router which mentioned 'idle' as the reason for no connection.

So I called AOL and after speaking to one of their technical people they asked me to disconnect the wiring from my router to the phone line and reconnect it.

Whilst I did this they placed me on hold. After a few mins my connection was back up. When the techy came back to me he said he'd "refreshed" my line to sort the problem.

Anyone know what they may have done when they refreshed the line as it sounds a little ominous.

I did think that my action of disconnecting my router from the BT socket may have fixed the problem but I had already turned off the power to the router and back on, before calling AOL to no avail.

Thanks
Richard

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Well maybe a passing rep will be able to give you a definitive answer, I can only make a guess which may well be wrong, but assuming you had an adsl sync, but no ppp connection, then maybe you had a stale session and the tech cleared it:- A stale session can happen when your connection drops abnormally, and the ISP's radius server fails to register that you've been disconnected, and so will reject your router's attempts to reconnect until your previous connection has timed out, because as far as it is concerned, you username/password is already in use.

If it was a stale session, then I've found that if I change the username to the BT speedtest login and attempt to connect, that usually seems to clear it, and I can then reconnect using my ISP login.

I would suggest checking your router's stats to see if they've deteriorated. Also if it happens again check the router's log before rebooting it to see if your connection has started dropping frequently again.

Last edited:

hyped0

I think this happens so often probably on AOL's side, it happened to me on occasion which led me to disconnect my router from the plug either for 2 hours or overnight.

I left AOL to Sky because of it.

rruwalton

ISP Rep
This is an old thread.

TBH, I've stuck with AOL because of the free calls and because, despite a fup, I manage to download far in excess of the 'cap'.

I wouldn't touch Sky, mind you I would not go to Talk Talk directly.

:)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2291)
  3. FTTC (1687)
  4. Building Digital UK (1626)
  5. Politics (1456)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1272)
  8. FTTH (1124)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1067)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (925)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules