Sponsored Links

Aquiss - Worst third rate isp eva in 6 years

A spammer post removed I assume, otherwise you are being really unkind to Kits.

Yup. Was spam. Of the new variety which reads like a blog but curiously has shopping links scattered throughout.

Hardly a new type, they have been popping up for years.

Some of the spammers work really diligently, a couple of times recently I have logged in and found dozens of spam posts have been made by a single new member, one spammer even managed to reach "Senior Member" before he got banned!!!!

They have obviously found a way around the registration system and dont mind waiting 40 seconds between posts, although that "Senior Member" seemed to have found a way around that as well - according to the post times.

Time for Mark to have another re-think.

personally l have suggestions but the registration would get tedious if implemented.. the forums l run get no spammers at all (touch wood) because both the email address and the account itself has to be verified and l know of no bots that can go through two types of verification.

It's a constant war and you'll never 100% stop everything, at least not without making the site too difficult to register for and even then they will adapt.

Anyway I'm currently doing our primary quarterly update of the ISP Listings database and Michael, a friend, has taken over testing of several new anti-spam solutions. If all goes according to plan then we should be able to both cut down on spam posts and make it easier to register, although I couldn't say how long it will be before they adapt.. again :).

In the future we’re likely to swap to XenForo as that is a much better looking and faster forum than the rubbish that vB4 has become in recent years (I don’t want to adopt vB5 it’s just terrible), which just so happens to have a lot more anti-spam options built-in. But right now I need to get the listings done.

Sponsored Links
well l guess each to his own as the system we use to keep spammers at bay has cut down on the bots which are the issue by 100% for the last 15months.. only problem we have is the spammers we had not noticed with dormant accounts. trouble is with vb3 l dont believe there is a true method of looking up members and mass pruning based on specific criteria.

Another really busy spammer loose in the forum right now; already reached "Regular Member" status!!!

Any way to flag up large numbers of posts by new members?? Or set a limit on how many posts they can make per hour/day??

I've just added some new Human Q&A's instead of the recaptcha check during registration, which were kindly tested by Michael so hopefully they will help (also makes human registration easier).

On top of that I've also added another anti-spam tweak to the process that is designed to target certain types of spam-bot but for security I'd rather not mention what it is or how it works as spammers would use that.

Will keep an eye on the logs to see what happens over the next 48 hours. Obviously any spammers that have already snuck in before the changes might still spam.

Well from the moment we activated the changes there hasn't been a single spammer get through.

ld be interested in hearing about your new spam prevention methods, maybe even the code lol and if it was portable to vb 3.x.x would be interesting to see how it worked under a different setting mainly because if you think the amount of spammers joining here was allot you had not seen anything compared to the places l help, that why the registration became so tedious and we required two forms of activation.

Sponsored Links
Well from the moment we activated the changes there hasn't been a single spammer get through.

#CELEBRATION TIME, COME ON!!# (it's a song in case you didnt get it).

All we need now are some decent icons depicting a party!!!!

Timeless. One system is the "timer" that you mentioned before, the other is copyrighted to a friend’s firm so I can't share but I believe there's something similar on vbulletin.org somewhere. It automatically creates new human Q&A's from a series of rules but I haven't fully enabled it yet due to some bugs.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules