Sponsored

Aramiska close down

pessimist

Pro Member
As an aramiska customer received an email today informing us they were closing down. Checked their web site and found the following in the "customer care section".

We regret to inform you that Aramiska and its services are shutting down and
the company will be unable to provide you with internet access after today,
27th of January 2006.

WTF?

Well, I didn't see that one coming...
I didn't get the email, as they were in the middle of fixing an email problem.
Luckilly I managed to divert email to our server by changing the MX record. Sadly, I suspect many other companies won't be in such a flexible position.

Any chance you could post a copy of the email ? Due to the email problem I didn't get it !

Still aghast that we got less than 24 hours notice !

As you'll see from my username, I've never been a great fan of Aramiska, but I feel for the staff who've lost their jobs. From the sound of the recorded message (and how cheerful they sounded yesterday) I don't think they saw it coming either !

pessimist

Pro Member
As requested.

To:
Aramiska customer <***@pcl-online.org>

We regret to inform you that Aramiska and its services are shutting down and
the company will be unable to provide you with internet access after today,
27th of January 2006

They have the same on their "customer care area of the website and also their recorded message.

We didn't see it coming either, contrary to my sig ;), - we're running this as our own business solution but also to enable the local community. Already lost one wireless supplier, too far from the exhange for BT. Maybe time to quit this septic isle.

Thanks for the info.
I figured they'd give more info out in the email. Wonder if/when they'll reclaim the dish and boxes ?! (or does anyone know if they have an alternative use ?!;) )

pessimist

Pro Member
Can't get any more info anywhere. They'll have one hell of a job reclaiming anything - i'm bloody furious. Paid them for installation etc. and have had the system six months. I'd rather take a sledge hammer to the equipment than let them have anything back.:(

bignige

ULTIMATE Member
Only speculation here, but as they are shutting down this quickly seems to point towards financial issues.

If they just wanted to pull out of the market I would have thought you would have got more notice to give you time to get an alternative supplier. Is there anything in your contracts that say Aramiska must give a certain amount of notice to cease your service ?

If there is then my speculation could be correct as they would have to fulfil that contract.

There's a report on ADSLGuide that Scotnet are willing to take over your service. So all may not be lost.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2524

Fudskie

Pro Member
Aramiska

This has been a shock to the whole industry. Aramiska have been a key player in this market.
I believe it was a shock to many at Aramiska also.

LionelSmith

Casual Member
We are on a village scheme that uses ,,,, errr, used Aramiska. Most of the users don't have a second account so they now netless :( However, the company, a small firm run by a couple of individuals are seeking an alternative source.

I don't know much about this satellite stuff but can I safely assume there are other satellite providers who can supply a service to replace Aramiska?

Personally, I have never been impressed with the service as it goes down every day for either a few minutes or occasionally an hour or so. I've never been sure whether this is Aramiska or the local mesh network.

I'll report back anything I hear from our local company as I guess they must have several hundred users at our site and other villages they provide for.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
This is a suprise to all but as one door closes another always opens I was always told as a child and its never failed me yet.

Good luck and please keep us informed on how you get on.

kijoma

ISP Rep
hi,

We use wireless backhaul without satellites so are unaffected by aramiskas demise. If you are interested in going "non satellite" then email me, we maybe able to help.

Point to point links are possible over some 10's of miles to get you either a bonded DSL or other pipe to your destination.

We can feed speeds of 8 Mbps+ scaleable to the customer base/cost.

Cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma broadband
Wireless Internet Service Provider
members of the ISPA
http://www.kijoma.net

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
kijoma said:
hi,

We use wireless backhaul without satellites so are unaffected by aramiskas demise. If you are interested in going "non satellite" then email me, we maybe able to help.

Point to point links are possible over some 10's of miles to get you either a bonded DSL or other pipe to your destination.

Cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma broadband
members of the ISPA
Please e-mail me (Mark) so that I can confirm you as an ISP Rep, thanks.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/contact.shtml

pessimist

Pro Member
kijoma said:
hi,

Cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma broadband
members of the ISPA

Would be interested in emailing you but you have not left your email address and your web link give "URL not found"

bignige

ULTIMATE Member
pessimist said:
Would be interested in emailing you but you have not left your email address and your web link give "URL not found"
Not a good start is it :) :)

kijoma

ISP Rep
Hi,

Erm.. well :shrug: it seems our website came out in sympathy with silvermeads :laugh: , all fixed now though.. We had just moved host for the kijoma.net site in preperation to make it "wireless only" so our radio design and other bits can remain on the .com (it will move as well soon as the web host [ not us! ] has an increasingly slow SQL server!). The DNS propogation took a bit longer to reachs some parts.

Apologies for that, my main Email address is Bill.Lewis@kijoma.co.uk and i am the main contact at Kijoma.

Cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
A division of Kijoma solutions ltd
Members of the ISPA

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
pessimist said:
Try PMing Fudiska and see if he knows any companies that could help you in your plight for Internet.

pessimist

Pro Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm aware of most of the satellite suppliers, but after the Silvermead and then Aramiska experience I'm very chary about getting involved with another.

Thanks again.

LionelSmith

Casual Member
Latest news for us is that our provider has had talks with other satellite companies, none of which could fulfill the criteria (to expensive, not big enought width, etc.)

They have now come up with a plan to put a cable into the viallge and give us a direct feed. If this comes off, I will be both impressed and suprised (pleasantly!). Apparently, it should all be up and running in a four to six weeks.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2431)
  2. FTTP (2043)
  3. FTTC (1614)
  4. Building Digital UK (1558)
  5. Politics (1358)
  6. Openreach (1353)
  7. Business (1194)
  8. Statistics (1058)
  9. FTTH (990)
  10. Mobile Broadband (987)
  11. Fibre Optic (950)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (892)
  13. Wireless Internet (874)
  14. 4G (860)
  15. Virgin Media (823)
  16. Sky Broadband (580)
  17. EE (566)
  18. TalkTalk (560)
  19. Vodafone (485)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules