Sponsored

are any internet sites band on be?

nick123

Casual Member
I'm thinking of changing ISPs im currently with Zen which i think are great but im just wanting that little extra speed and BE reckon i can get a 19meg connection.
but am just wondering if any sites are blocked on BE ive heard that a popular cd/dvd/game cover website was band on i think AOL and ive also read a file hosting website has been band on BT so am just wondering if any users have come across this at all, i havent mentioned the sites URL`s cos im not sure if im allowed to mention them:confused:

another couple of quick questions while i think of them.
if you ever have to phone BE do they answer quickly (i mean they dont leave you waiting for hours cos of lack of staff)

is there telephone support/billing etc based in the UK?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I haven't heard anything bad about Be Broadband's customer support but then it's not something I've had to test. As for blocks, other than their use of IWF block list (child abuse sites / content etc.) like many other ISPs, I do not believe they have any specific website restrictions.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Tech support isn't UK based i don't think but they speak perfect english. As for blocking, like Marks says IWF stuff is banned/blocked but I've never come across sites not working. It is worth saying though that if you use the internet for downloading illegal material then you can hardly moan if you wake up one morning and it doesn't work or you have the feds knocking on your door.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
I have on-going problems with ISPR, The Register and The Russian Meeting Place getting blocked, so eventually I installed "FoxyProxy" (add-on for FF3), and when it happens I switch to various proxies sites automatically (having found and set up proxies that allow the site).

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I was on Be until November (I now use O2, which is the same network since O2 owns Be) and never found a site that was blocked - including ISPR and The Register.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Capt have you tried using the OpenDNS servers instead?

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Good point - I use open DNS, and did so when I was using Be too.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
I am using OpenDNS, but still I get regular blocks on various sites; something to do with Vispa using BT server farms I suspect, IP range being blocked; using an anonymous proxy lets me view the sites being blocked.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Have you raised this issue with Be directly? I'd be happy to help since it seems to be impacting our site for you.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Mark, I got onto my ISP tech support and sorted out the block 3 or 4 times, but it is happening so often that I gave up and installed Foxyproxy.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Did they offer you any kind of technical explanation?

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Nope, and the block manifests itself differently each time , by that I mean the route trace is different each time a site is re-blocked; while the block is in place it is consistent.

Last time the RMP was blocked (over Christmas), the block seemed to originate in Chicago, including 90% of the sites hosted by the same company as hosts RMP.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Captain Cretin you are not a BE customer though the blocks are what your ISP are using.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2300)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1462)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1131)
  9. Statistics (1119)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1070)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Wireless Internet (932)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (931)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules