Sponsored Links

Are CityFibre FTTP prices for different ISPs listed anywhere?

Johnmcl7

Pro Member
I've been having a look around and not finding anything and when I go to the ISP sites, they're quoting prices for what looks like BT FTTP since the speeds are asymmetric despite that service not being available to my house.

I'm in Inverness which Talktalk definitely cover, I think Zen do now and so do Vodafone - does anyone know the pricing of their plans? I realise I could contact the companies but prefer to avoid pushy sales and hopefully I can get the information here.

Thanks.

At present, its just TalkTalk, Brawband (avoid!!) and Zen who offer Cityfibre based FTTP in Inverness. Vodafone *should* eventually start offering Cityfibre FTTP there as well. Probably best to check the Cityfibre website with your postcode to get the latest CPs in your area:

With Zen, you can only order Cityfibre services over the phone (for now at least), but TBH, I didn't find them pushy at all when I last spoke to their sales team.

Sponsored Links
Our ISP comparisons also list the supporting networks underneath each entry, but with CityFibre it's a bit more complex as their ISPs have differing availability between locations. However, in the next year, we expect many of these to achieve national availability across their network.

I'll be taking a closer look at CityFibre specific ISPs and packages next year.

Not sure what speeds your after but for 500Mb/s
TalkTalk: £40 |
Zen: £38.99
Brawband (Avoid!!): £38.95

TalkTalk 1Gb package will launch soon and Vodafone isn't yet available in Inverness.

Not sure what speeds your after but for 500Mb/s
TalkTalk: £40 |
Zen: £38.99
Brawband (Avoid!!): £38.95

TalkTalk 1Gb package will launch soon and Vodafone isn't yet available in Inverness.
I think that Talktalk price is the Openreach FTTP as that one has the smaller upload, the Cityfibre page is down at the moment so I can't link to it but their Cityfibre package is £35 for 500Mb/s and the first six months free.

I've mailed Zen for their prices at the moment so will see what they say.

I've spoken with Brawband after almost ordering with them and will most definitely not be using them, the nonsense they were spouting about their 1TB data cap put me off completely.

Speed wise I was thinking 150 would be fine since my rubbish FTTC connection barely makes 15Mb/s but thinking if going to the hassle of FTTP might as well go for 500. The Talktalk deal seems insanely good so I should probably just go for that.

I think that Talktalk price is the Openreach FTTP as that one has the smaller upload, the Cityfibre page is down at the moment so I can't link to it but their Cityfibre package is £35 for 500Mb/s and the first six months free.

I've mailed Zen for their prices at the moment so will see what they say.

I've spoken with Brawband after almost ordering with them and will most definitely not be using them, the nonsense they were spouting about their 1TB data cap put me off completely.

Speed wise I was thinking 150 would be fine since my rubbish FTTC connection barely makes 15Mb/s but thinking if going to the hassle of FTTP might as well go for 500. The Talktalk deal seems insanely good so I should probably just go for that.
It's pretty difficult to get CityFibre pricing, even with a CityFibre only postcode TalkTalk and Zen was still showing asymmetric upload.
Although Zen's price had dropped from £55 to £38.99 but TalkTalk stays the same £40 on their website

Either of them seem decent. also Zen offers 100 and 300, whereas TalkTalk just 150

Sponsored Links
Talktalk have no IPv6, and Zen will give you a static IP, but if those things don't matter to you then it's a very good deal.

And I agree that 150M (especially symmetrical) is plenty for most people. I have 300/50; I'd happy swap for 150/150 if I could.

I guess that's why they only make it £5 more expensive for 500M. People will be tempted by the shiny, so it's £5 more profit in their pocket :)

Zen have got back to me without the prices and saying their speeds on Cityfibre are not symmetric, my understanding was that all the CityFibre packages were symmetric?

Zen told me their CityFibre is symmetrical but they can't advertise it because they don't distinguish between infrastructure so to the ASA they need to have 50% of their customers getting that speed on said package.

Sponsored Links
I've just had another useless reply from Zen which answers nothing and they still won't provide any details of their CF FTTP packages which is getting frustrating.

Zen told me their CityFibre is symmetrical but they can't advertise it because they don't distinguish between infrastructure so to the ASA they need to have 50% of their customers getting that speed on said package.
They're feeding you porkies. Of course they can advertise Cityfibre based FTTP services as symmetric in addition to Openreach asymmetric packages, the likes of Giganet and Trunk Networks do without breaking any ASA rules. Zen are just too lazy to differentiate between Cityfibre and Openreach FTTP speeds, though I imagine they'll fix this over time (they've only just recently started offering Cityfibre based services outside their trial cities)

I've just had another useless reply from Zen which answers nothing and they still won't provide any details of their CF FTTP packages which is getting frustrating.
This is Zen's Cityfibre FTTP pricing, however ignore the upload speeds which they've copied and pasted from Openreach FTTP packages. Trust me, Cityfibre 100% offer symmetric speeds on FTTP. Their pricing is correct though.

Capture.jpg

This is Zen's Cityfibre FTTP pricing, however ignore the upload speeds which they've copied and pasted from Openreach FTTP packages. Trust me, Cityfibre 100% offer symmetric speeds on FTTP. Their pricing is correct though.
Thanks very much for the information which is a great help.

So in summary the Inverness Cityfibre options for FTTP are:

Brawband - 200Mb/s - £33 - 500Mb/s - £39 - 900Mb/s - £50
Talktalk - 150Mb/s - £30 - 500Mb/s - £35 - no faster option
Zen - 100Mb/s - £30 - 300Mb/s - £33 - 500Mb/s - £39 - 900Mb/s - £48

Sponsored Links
That's what I'm mulling over now as I changed to IP6 support after only having IP4 before and it did help with Xbox gaming services. I do have some home servers (for personal use) but I'm used to working with NAT and port forwarding I don't mind paying a bit more for better service but with the current TT deal it makes Zen a lot more expensive and their support so far has been the worst of the three.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5445)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2227)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1955)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1649)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1447)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules