Sponsored

Are Smarty/Three IP addresses shared with other users?

Gemini23

Casual Member
Over the past few days, I have been getting a CAPTCHA request when visiting my own websites hosted on (Siteground) where myself and my partner have our websites hosted.

Basically, the IP addresses that we use (or that are allocated by SMARTY/Three) have been blacklisted on certainly spam/malware websites - I am currently scanning our own computers but am fairly confident that there is no malware on them.

"As you can see, the .158 IP (which is the IP you last updated the ticket from) has a terrible reputation which is the reason why our Antibot AI system is presenting captchas to you both on our site and on your sites.

Due to the poor IP reputation, the system believes you might be a malicious visitor or bot, resulting in a captcha. Of course, once you complete the captcha, that whitelists the IP within the system for 24 hours, thus no captchas are presented.

The most correct and appropriate course of action here is to contact your ISP and ask them to look into it and correct the IP reputation + have the IP removed from all the blacklists where its added which will both prevent further captchas on our service and any other service which uses remote blacklists to determine the reputation of a visitor."
I have contacted SMARTY and they have come back with some response about there being nothing they can do and it is a problem with Google!
My main questions are, are IP addresses allocated to more than one user? (when using a 4G package such as Smarty/Three)

Is it possible to get a 4G package with an allocated IP address?

We have been using Three/Smarty for about 2 months, and this 'captcha' problem has only started occurring during the past few days. Coincidentally, shortly after I used 'Screaming Frog' (an SEO industry software package) to scan my website for internal links.

Any advice gratefully received.

Gemini23

Casual Member
I have now received a reply from Smarty - "we do not have fixed IPs, we have dynamic IP which is why we cannot confirm or deny if the IP addresses are yours or used by anyone else."

Gemini23

Casual Member
PS
To SMARTY
Can I again repeat my request that you (Smarty) request that these IP addresses are removed from the blacklists

From Smarty
Hi Neil, I'm sorry but we cannot do that.

Matt.Rowley.1990

Smarty (and, if i'm not mistaken, all mobile providers) will employ CGNAT (carrier grade NAT) to share IPs among the many thousands of users. This means the IP address you are issued is a private IP and the NAT process happens at the carrier grade, whereby the public IP address is shared among the allocated private IPs. I cannot say for certain how many devices you will share an IP with but I would say it'll be quite a few.

phoenixw

Due to the number of devices on their network and exhaustion of IPv4 addresses, Three, along with all mobile providers AFAIK, use CGNAT so that your device will be given a 10.x.x.x 'local' address, you'll then share those public IP's you have noted with many, probably hundreds, of other users. Unfortunately, if other three users are messing around and doing dodgy stuff then you'll be tarred with the same brush.

Three do support IPv6, albeit very spottily, so it's possible to have your own unique IPv6 address, but since most services are still running on IPv4, this won't help until the services you're connecting to go IPv6 and that could be years/decades away.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4204)
  2. BT (3181)
  3. Politics (2149)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1995)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1866)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1630)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1398)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1251)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules