Sponsored

Are UKFSN any good?

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Hi,

I will be looking for a new ISP in a month or two, and have come across the UK Free Software Network.

Can anyone recommend them? Or not?

I'm looking at the Home Max 30 service (30Gb peak, 300 off-peak for £20) which looks like good value.

Any comments?

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
I'm with them and haven't had any problems so far (touch wood). Tech support is handled by Enta directly, while Jason handles basic admin. UKFSN is/was basically a one man band - there are other resellers about if that bothers you. :hrmph:

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
If I understand correctly, UKFSN is a vISP using Entanet?

Not a problem for me, I just want to understand a bit more about them.

I'm just looking for a good value ADSL Max ISP, and UKFSN came up. If there are any other suggestions I'd be happy to look into them!

RJM

I have been with UKFSN/Entanet just over two months now and have had now problems whatsoever. I spoke to Entanet first, before making my decision.;)

I very carefully looked around as I required a business package and UKFSN could not be beaten on price. The monthly fee is paid directly to Entanet each month, so heaven forbid, if UKFSN ever stopped trading, there would be no loss of service.

I cannot speak about technical support, as I have not had any reason to ring them, which is in my book a good thing.

Take the plunge akbray.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I very carefully looked around as I required a business package and UKFSN could not be beaten on price.
That's one of the reasons I'm not sure about them. I firmly believe in the addage 'you get what you pay for'. There is no boubt that UKFSN's prices are good.

The monthly fee is paid directly to Entanet each month, so heaven forbid, if UKFSN ever stopped trading, there would be no loss of service.
That's interesting.

I cannot speak about technical support, as I have not had any reason to ring them, which is in my book a good thing.
Mine too.

I will hopefully be moving in either November or December (depending on when the solicitors pull their fingers out), so I have a bit of time before I have to decide.

Thanks

PokerPlayer

Top Member
I can vouch for UKFSN. Basically, you're dealing direct with EntaNet and Jason is the middle man. It's early days for me (3 weeks) but everything has gone to plan, including the migration from V21. Download speeds are 500kbps to 750kbps from Usenet servers on 8mb Max 30/300.

When you see EntaNet resellers such as Aquiss at number 1 (as they currently are), i think that reputation speaks for itself.

Simon J

Casual Member
When you see EntaNet resellers such as Aquiss at number 1 (as they currently are), i think that reputation speaks for itself.
Aquiss are not a reseller. They use the Enta network but maintain their own hardware, and more importantly, provide their own support, which in my opinion is why they have been topping the ratings recently. I'm with them, and would have no hesitation in recommending them.

PokerPlayer

Top Member
Aquiss are not a reseller. They use the Enta network but maintain their own hardware, and more importantly, provide their own support, which in my opinion is why they have been topping the ratings recently. I'm with them, and would have no hesitation in recommending them.
Ok, my apologies. My point was that they are using the EntaNet backbone which is highly reliable, regardless of which ISPs are using it. Customer Support is rarely needed although it's nice to know that they're there 24/7 "just in case".

Kath

Pro Member
I've done absolutely nothing about the V21 situation as yet, any my next payment is due on 25/10/06.

I just sent UKFSN an email, hopefully they can give me more info.

I notice that there is a £52.88 connection charge, which I think is a bit steep :(

I don't really need all that speed to be honest, I wish they did a cheaper package for less speed.

PokerPlayer

Top Member
There are plenty of alternatives Kath, although most "cheap" packages seem to be riddled with complaining customers. Do your research on here and you'll find some good ones. I migrated which was free although i notice that Biscit will charge you £70 for cancelling and £35 for a MAC...:shrug:

Kath

Pro Member
Connection is free i'm told and I do believe that we will still have the same contract, which will be the £30 MAC charge.

The package i'm looking at is approximately what I've been looking for (the same one your on).

The price I was paying for my old 512 unlimited was £19.99. Then they started introducing caps and such for other packages, but I refused to move and stayed with that one at a reduced rate of £16.99/mth.

Well, we are about to find out.

I wish they would come out from under and communicate with us on here. All the statements up to now have been a bit wooley to say the least.

Why don't they just say..

All existing V21 contracts will remain the same as they were before the takeover.

But no... they are gonna lose so many customers with their wooley statements. Especially when they are being vilified on other forums... it's gonna cost them a bomb with the bad publicity.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
If you move to the Biscuit packages I think you'll find you are subject to Biscit's T&C's. If you stay on your current V21 package then my opinion after reading the previous V21 t&c's is that you will technically be bound by Biscuit's T&C's in a few days time unless Biscuit provide you personaly with written confirmation that your previous T&C's continue to apply or publish such a statement on the V21 website, or you could write to them rejecting the new T&C's on V21's site. Of course I'm not a solicitor so I may be wrong.

If you are looking for the cheapest deal with a new ISP, first check http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php to see what cheap LLU suppliers are available to you. If easynet LLU is available at your exchange, you can get the free sky deal or Ukonline @ £9.99

It may still be possible to get AOL 1mbps broadband silver ADSL for as little as £9.99 if you negotiate http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aol&Number=2675611&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart= normally it is £14.99 with a free router and a free month ('free' activation - 12 month contract :( ).

I mentioned a couple of other options here http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showpost.php?p=164482&postcount=11

The UKFSN deal looks pretty good too, don't forget it is a monthly contract, so if it you are ever dissatisfied you can pick up your mac and walk, which also means they have every incentive to provide you with a good service. BT charge £47 in vat for activation so they are only charging an extra £5 on top of it.

Check out the forums of any ISPs you do consider both here and on www.ADSLguide.org and read the contract.

Last edited:

stealth_worm

Top Member
There are plenty of alternatives Kath, although most "cheap" packages seem to be riddled with complaining customers. Do your research on here and you'll find some good ones. I migrated which was free although i notice that Biscit will charge you £70 for cancelling and £35 for a MAC...:shrug:
bloody heck! that's a **** take!

I was looking at Vispa as a potential ISP after aquiring my MAC from UkOnline today. but I did notice Vispa charge if you leave within 12 months, even though the contract is a month. what is a bit low imo, is that if you pay the connection for new connection, then leave after a month, you have to pay to leave. would make sense if the connection was free, or you were still under a contract. but it's still a damn sight better than what Biscit charges, and Vispa do provide a good service.

I feel sorry for the people that are kept waiting for their MAC by their ISP's, it is a complete pile of BS being made to wait. UKOnline gave me mine there and then, no excuses no arguments. this is the way it should be if no monies are owed.

also looking at UKFSN. they look very good and have some good comments.

PokerPlayer

Top Member
I'm still with them and extremely pleased. Ok, the ADSL Max re-synchs about once a day but i believe that's normal. Besides, it's never off for more than a minute anyway. Since enabling interleaving, my download speeds are between 500kbps and 750kbps from usenet servers although speedtests (strangely!) say i'm connected at 5.5mb. The UKFSN website is very basic but it gives you everything you need to know such as used bandwidth, server/BT pipe status, etc.

stealth_worm

Top Member
looking on thinkbroadband (ADSLguide), I see there are speed issues for a few poeple on Entanet. obviously the new Central should relieve some of the congestion. what I am slightly bothered about, and I should probably ask this on there, but what are pings like?

stealth_worm

Top Member
just found on thinkbroadband some guy saying pings are always good, which is great. I dont expect super low pings, just better or no worse than what I get on UKOnline atm.

however still pondering about the whole ADSLMAX thing. as far as I am aware, interleaving increases pings, but disabling can render the line unstable. for this reason might have a look at some other original broadband ISPs.

PokerPlayer

Top Member
My ping speeds were pretty solid at 19ms before i had interleaving enabled. They are now around 50ms. My connection was only slightly less stable without interleaving, although i'm quite happy to trade ping speeds for an extra 100+kbps but that's down to personal choice. Just for the record, my pre max line stats were Attenuation 37db, Margin 27db. They are now 36/6.5 and my router syncs at 8,000+ which indicates that i have a fairly good line.

The new central can only improve an already excellent service and we've had regular emails regarding all upgrades/work plans/dates/etc which is far better than being told the usual BS you get from ISPs.

Also, don't forget it's a 1 month contract and you can order a MAC from your control panel which arrives within minutes. I know that because i got curious and clicked it to find out! :laugh:

stealth_worm

Top Member
hmm, thats interesting. I have been following what's been going with the new central and people with slow connections, on thinkbroadband. you mention you had regular emails informing you of the situation and work being done. looking at all the posts from Enta users, you are in the minority. no one else mentioned that they were informed at all what was going on, in fact a lot were displeased that Enta had NOT informed them at all. which led to a few claiming that traffic shaping was being used until the new central went online. but no one from Enta posted to confirm that they were NOT shaping, which only made some users believe all the more shaping was in use. a lot did say, they would have been ok with traffic shaping if someone from Enta would have informed them.

thankfully one of the Enta technicians did post and explain what had happened, and that shaping was not in place. one user who did not use the forum, was cheesed off because they did not inform him what was going on, and he had to go and find out for himself. customers should NOT have to do this. maybe the resellers are to blame for the miscommunication. although from what I saw, they didn't know what was happening either. that is what you would expect from Plus Net etc, not a good company with a good reputation.

still at the end of the day, they did explain things. but to leave people guessing and to form their own conclusions, leads to distrust. but you are very right, at least they dont spin some old crap like a lot of ISPs just get get customers off their backs. :)

tbh though, this does not put me off joining an Enta reseller. the crucial fact is, they didn't lie about what was going on, and with all the fiasco created by some ISPs that do lie, it's nice to see a internet provider communicate with it's customers, even if it's a little late. :)

Also, don't forget it's a 1 month contract and you can order a MAC from your control panel which arrives within minutes. I know that because i got curious and clicked it to find out!
now that's what I call efficient!

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £21.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2625)
  2. FTTP (2420)
  3. FTTC (1714)
  4. Building Digital UK (1654)
  5. Politics (1520)
  6. Openreach (1493)
  7. Business (1306)
  8. FTTH (1205)
  9. Statistics (1143)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1108)
  11. Fibre Optic (1010)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (964)
  13. 4G (957)
  14. Wireless Internet (956)
  15. Virgin Media (916)
  16. EE (634)
  17. Sky Broadband (627)
  18. TalkTalk (610)
  19. Vodafone (581)
  20. 3G (433)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules