Sponsored Links

Asus AX89X on Community Fibre need help

I’ll put some more general comments on the Community Fibre thread I started but to keep relevant information in the appropriate thread I can report that my Draytek 2860 connected directly to the Community Fibre “modem” without problems.

I enabled IPv6 on the Draytek (only on the WAN side) and DHCP and it worked first time.

When Community Fibre installed I just connected to the second port on their Linksys (to let the installers complete their commissioning tests) then once they had returned to their vans I removed the Linksys and connected the Draytek directly.

No need to clone the MAC address, all in all very smooth.

The package I have (150 Mb/s) uses CG NAT so at some stage I may investigate an upgrade to get a public IP address but in terms of working with my existing router and more generally, all good.

Hi, I'm in Barnet and I've just had CF installed yesterday.

I have a Draytek 2970 and WAN1 is currently my BT service, so I thought I'd just configure WAN2 as always on and with auto failover.

However, I followed the same approach and pretty much didn't need to do anything, but I notice that when I unplug WAN1, WAN2 doesn't function.

The Draytek Online Status seems to see that IPv4 and v6 are both configured and working.

Any ideas?

@Aeroadster I'm not familiar with the Draytek 2970 (it sounds from the model number likely you would have a modem for the VDSL) but I never quite got to a satisfactory VDSL/fibre failover setup with my 2860 and ended up setting it via "Load-Balance/Route Policy" and setting preferred intefaces for various IP address ranges.

My best guess with your issue is what is used to see if an interface is "up". It can be PPPoE (not for Community Fibre however), ARP or a ping to an IP address.

If it's not already set like this try "Always On" as a start.

At one stage I got load balancing between the two interfaces working (of sorts) and it seemed to aggregate on speed tests but that appeared to upset some websites as communication came from different IP addresses so I ended up with allocating some LAN addresses with first choice WAN1 and others WAN2.

I would not consider myself an expert on the Draytek, others may be able to offer greater insight.

Hi, I'm in Barnet and I've just had CF installed yesterday.

I have a Draytek 2970 and WAN1 is currently my BT service, so I thought I'd just configure WAN2 as always on and with auto failover.

However, I followed the same approach and pretty much didn't need to do anything, but I notice that when I unplug WAN1, WAN2 doesn't function.

The Draytek Online Status seems to see that IPv4 and v6 are both configured and working.

Any ideas?
Reads like you made changes to WAN2 for the new CF interface but left WAN1 alone.

Think you need to check your failover and detection settings for WAN1.

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses.

I apologise as my auto correct changed my OP. I have the 2927 router.

I made sure to reconfigure both Wan1 and Wan2 to be always on, but I left Wan1 config the same.

I tried Wan1 as ping detect, rather than Arp detect.

It may be that if you are on a session that is connected to WAN1 (BT) then when disconnected, it is not failing over to WAN2 (CF) giving the impression that WAN2 is not active as your session is still stuck on WAN1.

Have you loaded the latest firmware image for the router? Looks like v4.4.2.2 is the latest release from a few days ago (22 December).

Then I would reset the router and settings back to vanilla (factory default), and configure it from scratch. Often the simplest way to iron out any weird routing / failover issues.

Sponsored Links
It may be that if you are on a session that is connected to WAN1 (BT) then when disconnected, it is not failing over to WAN2 (CF) giving the impression that WAN2 is not active as your session is still stuck on WAN1.

Have you loaded the latest firmware image for the router? Looks like v4.4.2.2 is the latest release from a few days ago (22 December).

Then I would reset the router and settings back to vanilla (factory default), and configure it from scratch. Often the simplest way to iron out any weird routing / failover issues.
I've done all of the above.

The only thing I haven't tried is to configure the Draytek where WAN1 is the only active connection configured for CF

@Aeroadster some drayteks max out at around 330 throughput, while the 2927 claims a max of 950 wan throughput I've not seen anyone else using one.
I've tested the Draytek on a 1Gb wirespeed test and it can handle 930 - 950Mbps easily. The problem I have will be down to how I've configured the WAN port. More investigations to follow up on.

@Aeroadster

If you do get this load balance/failover working well I would be interested in knowing what was successful.

When I upgrade I’m thinking of the Draytek 2927, I’ve been pleased with the 2860.

Sponsored Links
My 2925 has never given me any issues with failover, so this issue must be either unique to the 2927 or your firmware is corrupt in some way. I do get issues of IP's being dropped and I need to do a cold reboot to get them reconnected so the memory chip does collect errors overtime. Warm reboots can be iffy in clearing faults.

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses.

I apologise as my auto correct changed my OP. I have the 2927 router.

I made sure to reconfigure both Wan1 and Wan2 to be always on, but I left Wan1 config the same.

I tried Wan1 as ping detect, rather than Arp detect.
If you've configure WAN1 to be always connected, isn't it the correct behaviour that it can never fail-over to WAN2 ?

In my Teltonika RUTXR1 configuration, I load-balance with weights of 99 and 1 and have static routes for ping detection. This way I keep both connections warm and the surving connection is known-good and takes over when needed.

Got CF 1Gbps + Linksys MX4000 Router installed - works great for nearby rooms but not so for my first floor studio room which is at the far end of the house, even everything works fine with WiFi 6 provided by Asus RT-AX89X + Openrearch ADSL modem (2nd hand from eBay)

After 1 hour try and error, reporting my success replacing Linksys with my Asus RT-AX89X:

1. No need to clone mac for WAN

2. Do need to connect to OTN via RT-A89X's 10G-BaseT port and (in my case) with Amazon Cat7 RJ45 cable (https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Gigabit-Ethernet-Patch-Internet/dp/B089MGMYFR - note it's flat and thin so I can move it around to reach my preferred router location rather than next to the window next to OTN which caused the WiFi 6 penetration issue across the whole house.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules