Sponsored Links

Avoid Sky MAX

I went through all the various sign-up processes (including getting a MAC from my previous ISP) and was advised that my line should be activated on 30/10 or up to three business days later. I had opted for engineer installation and crack of dawn on 2/11 (installation date) contractor turns up in heavy outdoor gear and muddy boots. He has me do all the connections of the (free, inferior to my existing Netgear, router), does the disc installation and pushes off saying it usually takes an hour to come up. No such luck, and so the saga started ...
Eventually on 28th November I cancelled the whole thing and returned (freepost) the router to Sky.
You want to know what happened?
All kinds of excuses, hours of phone calls (made some nice friends in Manila, Bangalore and Dublin), three guaranteed deadlines missed. I finally had a guy from Provisioning say ('being completely honest' - I quote) that the problem was down to Sky-leased equipment at my local exchange. Having blamed BT for installing faulty blocks and dragging their heels on re-installing, I was told that Sky had been having a number of problems with their own equipment and that their own engineers were going round the exchanges which had been affected, starting with the exchanges where there were the most problems. Couldn't say when my exchange would get sorted, could be up to another four weeks.
After 3 letters to Mark Anderson, Customer Marketing Director, and one stock reply from his office (telling me how to re-boot the router!) I finally got an apology from Sky CR and a promise that £20 would be credited to my Sky Billing account.
So, after nearly one month without internet and email (won't tell you the problems that caused) I went back to my original ISP (didn't need a MAC code) and was back online in the day. However, that started anothe saga and if you want to know how I got on qith coming back to Pipex, look at a posting I'm putting up there.
I'm still not sure what the problem was with Sky MAX (I have friends who have connected without problems to their 'free' service. I suspect it may be something to do with the fact that my local exchange was LLU enabled by Pipex on 7/11 - but Sky never mentioned that.:crap:

Different Reaction

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been on Sky Max since January and I've honestly had no problems. I find it a very good service, in fact I'd be happy to recommend it to friends and I don't say that about many ISPs

Sponsored Links
That sounds familiar,, I've had exactly the same bother, but I'm on the Sky MID package. How on earth did you get a MAC code from Sky?? I have been completely unable to get one so I can go back to my old provider.

Hopefully I'll be able to get back onto the internet and use my landline within the next couple of months!!!!!!!!!!!

i had the same Troble it was due to my last ISP tag on the line after few hours of swearing at them and explaming bye law they cant hold a mac longer then needed my sky was on in total of 8 days with over 8meg speeds still cant hold solid connection tho lol

i had the same Troble it was due to my last ISP tag on the line after few hours of swearing at them and explaming bye law they cant hold a mac longer then needed my sky was on in total of 8 days with over 8meg speeds still cant hold solid connection tho lol

swearing at them lol no wonder they wouldnt help you

Sponsored Links
Made the mistake of changing over to sky in Feb. Had just 3 weeks of poor/slow connection then spent several weeks of phone calls to tech support. Had all kinds of excuses from them saying it was cuz I had an extension connected, BT checking the line, blah blah blah,turned out to be the sky box was faulty which I received a new one at end of April. Still have poor/slow connection and more often than not have to reboot. Finally got my email back today by setting up Outlook Express as couldnt get back on to Sky mail, wouldnt recognise my user name? What a farce its been and with little help from the so called Technical Support. Cant complain really, its only £5 a month!!

Made the mistake of changing over to sky in Feb. Had just 3 weeks of poor/slow connection then spent several weeks of phone calls to tech support. Had all kinds of excuses from them saying it was cuz I had an extension connected, BT checking the line, blah blah blah,turned out to be the sky box was faulty which I received a new one at end of April. Still have poor/slow connection and more often than not have to reboot. Finally got my email back today by setting up Outlook Express as couldnt get back on to Sky mail, wouldnt recognise my user name? What a farce its been and with little help from the so called Technical Support. Cant complain really, its only £5 a month!!

what package are you on im on MAX and its brilliant i was on CONNECT and that is the worst i have ever had terrible

Sky Connect

Still have problems with Mid Package. Have to reboot 3/4 times but will persevere.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules