Sponsored Links

Awaiting for service to go live?

RedFxs

Casual Member
Hi all,

We’ve had community fibre boxes installed on our telephone poles all wired in. It’s been like that for 3 weeks now.
We also had a community fibre leaflet through the post 2 weeks after the boxes were installed.
Some of the boxes down our road had the dates of mid September written on yellow tape and now there’s a white label on the bottom of the telephone pole with dates of late September.
Community fibre customer service cannot give me a date.
Bidb just states that it’s planned.

From your experience with community fibre, what’s the turnaround time once the boxes have been installed?

Also just to note I went around the area, a 10minute walk from my house there are some community fibre boxes that haven’t been wired up yet, they have a spindle of black cable on the lower half of the telephone pole.

Thanks!

Common question. No one can tell you. Could be a day, a week, a month. Keep an eye for vans and if you so really want it so bad check every night on the CF site so you can order right away when it's available. If you know someone who has it make sure you ask them to use the CF refer a friend page to give you a referral code so you can order using it and you both get a £100 Amazon voucher each. Or ask here if you don't anyone.

The date on a pole is, I believe, the last time work took place on the pole and some clue as to who did it.

Try the price comparison sites and when they offer Community Fibre for your address it is actually available to order.

In the meantime, don’t renew any other contract and think carefully about how you want the installation done.

Sponsored Links
The date on a pole is, I believe, the last time work took place on the pole and some clue as to who did it.

Try the price comparison sites and when they offer Community Fibre for your address it is actually available to order.

In the meantime, don’t renew any other contract and think carefully about how you want the installation done.
I see, I’ll keep an eye on the dates.

Do price comparison sites go live before their own website?

I’ve already cancelled Virgin Media.. ends in 1 month. Hoping it’ll be live by then but if not I’ll survive on 5G hotspot 🤣

@RedFxs

I think it may be more than a month.

From my experience, I had a leaflet in January, was able to order in June and it took most of a month to get the install done from order.

Community Fibre wired our street 4 months ago, but still hasn't taken any orders, has not delivered any leaflets and it's not live at any addresses in any streets I check nearby.

Not a very fast return for all the work they did laying the fibre, doing the poles etc

Hi everyone,

CommunityFibre installed the poles in our street in May 2023, but the service has not been activated yet, I could not get a clear answer when I asked. virgin media contract expired, I could not renew it, I am still waiting... address N15 5 area.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

CommunityFibre installed the poles in our street in May 2023, but the service has not been activated yet, I could not get a clear answer when I asked. virgin media contract expired, I could not renew it, I am still waiting... address N15 5 area.
Are you sure your telegraph pole has been enabled? Is there a blackbox at the top of the pole? CF can easily leave houses not connected even if the whole street is served.

Are you sure your telegraph pole has been enabled? Is there a blackbox at the top of the pole? CF can easily leave houses not connected even if the whole street is served.
there are 5 poles on the road, 2 of them have been renewed and installed on the top of the pole, but the remaining 3 of them are still box waiting for the still taped at the bottom.

there are 5 poles on the road, 2 of them have been renewed and installed on the top of the pole, but the remaining 3 of them are still box waiting for the still taped at the bottom.
Are the houses served on the other poles already being installed? If not it sounds like CF didn't get fiber to them yet.

Sponsored Links
That sounds very weird as the network build usually starts from top to bottom, bottom being the customer. Why cable the poles if the fibre from the network is not live?
Same in our street for 4 months. The boxes are installed at the top, no one has service.

Hi everyone,

our road is getting messed up and now openreach's fibres are being laid, things are getting interestingly messy in the poles but we still can't get service.

our road is getting messed up and now openreach's fibres are being laid, things are getting interestingly messy in the poles but we still can't get service.
We've now got 3 providers in the road (when in December last year we had none)... each pole has sprouted metal brackets and loops of fibre.. they do indeed look a mess.

My observation on both Community Fibre and Openreach builds is that the installations on a pole serving a cluster of homes can easily be 3 or 6 months ahead of the system being ready for service to that cluster of homes.

I suspect active equipment (such as a branded grey street equipment box) is one of the first indicators that an area will be served by Community Fibre and that could be well in advance of any service.

Sponsored Links
So today my virgin media contracted ended. Still no community fibre available so I decided to go ahead and accept an offer from virgin. £21 for 150mb for 18months.
I still kept checking CF throughout the day but still nothing.
8 hours after renewing Virgin.. CF is now available.
Going to order it and keep virgin till it’s installed. I have 14 days to cancel it.
It’s been a long and painful journey and just as I gave up.. they came to save me 🤣

So today my virgin media contracted ended. Still no community fibre available so I decided to go ahead and accept an offer from virgin. £21 for 150mb for 18months.
Going to order it and keep virgin till it’s installed. I have 14 days to cancel it.
It’s been a long and painful journey and just as I gave up.. they came to save me 🤣
I have been waiting for them to activate for more than 6 months and now I continue to use the VM 125MBps package without contract for £38. my region is N15 5 (LONDON)

Congratulations. I would keep both virgin £21/month + CF £25/month if you WFH and internet is critical as neither are reliable. Especially as CF can offer 6 months free service if you haggle and say you in contract with another ISP.

I have been waiting for them to activate for more than 6 months and now I continue to use the VM 125MBps package without contract for £38. my region is N15 5 (LONDON)
Activate as in you’ve already purchased it and waiting for them to come down and install it in your house? Or for them to activate the service so you can purchase it?
I have mine booked in for 9th November

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules