Sponsored Links

Awful Three Mobile Broadband — Recommendations?

I suggest potentially moving the router in the house to a place where you get 4 bars or more even if that's a negative to your WiFi coverage. If you're in a two story place, higher the better. Surely there's a way to see within the router way LTE band you're connected to? Band 3 (1800Mhz) is the band you want it to lock into for 3Mobile's network.

I've looked through all the settings and tried websites and apps, but none tell me whether it's band 3 or 20. When we put the SIM in though, it put up a second Wi-Fi option to connect to with the same name, but with 5G attached to the name. The normal one seems to be 2.4GHz and the 5G version is 5GHz. I speed checked both of them though and they seem to be putting out the same speed, so I'm not sure if even if you use the 5G Wi-Fi it limits you to 2.4GHz, especially since we are on a 4G plan and not a 5G one.

How would I force the band to 3?

The WiFi that the router emits is a completely different beast to what the router uses to communicate to the three network. I don't have that model router, but perhaps they've stripped back the configuration portal so much you can't see what's going on in any technical detail.

Not much you can do other than find the best reception spot.

Also, VOXI (vodafone) offer month-to-month unlimited 4G for 30 pounds a month. https://voxi.co.uk/plans

If you get good Vodafone reception (test with a cheap sim) could be an option as well.

Oh I see now. Someone recommended LTE H-Monitor, is that safe to download and use? It looks like it wants my Wi-Fi password and I'm a bit cautious about giving that out.

Ltehmonitor is alright. HuaCtrl on Android is also good, they should show you the primary band.

Sponsored Links
I switched it over to Band 3, but I've kept it on automatic for now. According to the LTE H monitor we are peaking at 40Mbps (looks like it may be capped?), but the speed seems to depend on when and how the internet is being used. If it stays that way, that's fantastic!

What is Band 1 compared to Band 3 and 20 though?

Within LTE monitor Radio configuration set band selection to manual, 4G only, upload band 3, download 3 and 1 only. This will force band 3 and then when faster downloads are needed add in band 1 for 4G+.

What happens if something goes wrong? Will it go to another band or will it cut out because it's not being allowed to go to another band?

Just set it back to auto and it will reconnect as before. You have to play around and yes you can lose connection but auto will always get you a connection but not the best one.

Okay, we'll see what it does. Thank you so much everyone for your help and advice, I've learnt so much!

Sponsored Links
@Deer
If you are all on EE, it would benefit you to sign up for yet another contract
PS: they still seem to have a very good promo deal on their business site (you dont need to be an actual business), unlimited 5G data for £23+VAT.

I've just signed up to this, they said that they'll need to call me to confirm my order. I'm not a business, are they going to tell me off? 😫

I switched it over to Band 3, but I've kept it on automatic for now. According to the LTE H monitor we are peaking at 40Mbps
Mine is now peaking at 30Mbps down and 12Mbps up using Bands 1 and 3, if I select band 3 alone it remains the same. What concerns me is my RSRQ is -5 to -9dbm so why am I not getting 3 times this speed? And why is band 1 not actually giving me anymore bandwidth?

@Buggerlugz if you really want to dive deeper you really need a rooted qualcomm android phone (one that can at least aggregate the bands you use) along with NSG - though it still wouldn't solve anything, only provide more information/data to possibly get a wider picture

Band 1 is 2100, so travels less well than band 3 1800. Don't know what Bandwidth Three are using on Band 1. They have 15mhz on band 3 and 5 mhz on band 20 hence the 3 times the download Band 3 vs Band 20.

Also just because LTE monitor or the other apps lets you select band 3 and Band 1 does not mean your router can bond them for 4G+, you need the router specs to see what's possible.

If my experience of band1 is anything to go by its sharing the masts available bandwidth with band 3 which is probably why it makes no difference using either or both bands for me.

I've just signed up to this, they said that they'll need to call me to confirm my order. I'm not a business, are they going to tell me off? 😫
Unlikely, others on this forum signed up without being a business. You could always say you're self-employed;)

Band 1 is 2100, so travels less well than band 3 1800. Don't know what Bandwidth Three are using on Band 1. They have 15mhz on band 3 and 5 mhz on band 20 hence the 3 times the download Band 3 vs Band 20.

Also just because LTE monitor or the other apps lets you select band 3 and Band 1 does not mean your router can bond them for 4G+, you need the router specs to see what's possible.
This is a good place to check:

I switched it over to Band 3, but I've kept it on automatic for now. According to the LTE H monitor we are peaking at 40Mbps (looks like it may be capped?)
As I said, three have most of their 4G network capacity on the 1800mhz (Band 3) LTE radio band from their towers.

Might as well lock it to that if you get the best performance, and if it starts dropping out, set it to Auto again.

Performance still ok a few days on?

Been a while since we fixed the issue. I don't think the 5G ready SIM they sent us made much difference, but downloading and using LTE H Monitor has been a lifesaver. It keeps us on a Band with a more quick and reliable connection.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules