Sponsored Links

B535-232 + Poynting vs B818

Conspiracy

Casual Member
Hi,

This forum has been useful for me and I need some advice. I have been using the B535-232 for over a year now with an EE unlimited 5G data sim in the UK (there is no 5G in my area yet though). I recently moved to a new house and my speeds aren't as good as my last address. Also my WiFi isn't the best in the house as it has brick walls. I keep the router next to a window upstairs at the front of the house as that is where I get the best signal/speed and its in the direction of the cell tower it connects to. Because of this, my WiFi doesn't reach in the kitchen too well. So my main goals are:
  • to increase my DL and UL speed
  • to increase WiFi strength and range
My initial thought was to buy a Poynting XPOL-2-5G for better signal and then fix the B535 on the ground floor ceiling (if its within the 5m cable range of the Poynting) or use the B535 as a bridge which I learnt it cannot do. I bought the Poynting and after hanging my hand out the window for a while learnt that there is a cell tower which gives me a stronger signal/speed to the side of my house which is attached to the neighbouring house so I don’t have any windows facing that way. The only way to connect to that tower is to face the Poynting to it. It’s going to cost £100 to have it installed on my roof so I’m looking at £270 including the Poynting. It got me thinking - shall I just buy a better router and ditch the antenna? I then found the B818 after some research. Some answers to these questions should help me decide.

1. Will the B818 give me stronger WiFi and a better WiFi range than the B535? It looks like they have the same WiFi in their specifications.
  2. Will it give me a better DL and UL speed than the B535 from the cell tower in front of my house (Cell: 6814722 eNBID: 26620)? Assuming it won’t connect to the better cell tower facing the side of my house.
  3. A feature of the B818 is HiLink Mesh so you can connect other Huawei routers. Will this work with my B535-232?
Figures using my Poynting

Cell tower in front of my house: Cell: 6814722 eNBID: 26620
DL: 30 (sometimes lower)
UL: 20
RSSI: -57
RSRQ: -7
RSRP: -85
SINR: 4

Cell tower to the side of my house: Cell: 3768066 eNBID: 14719
DL: 40
UL: 50
RSSI: >-51
RSRQ: -6
RSRP: -76
SINR: 13

Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.

@Conspiracy best way is to try. Order a B818 and test it, if it doesn't get better results then return it. Try to get it from amazon (prime) if you have an account as their return policy is no frills.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I wanted to do that but it shows unavailable atm.
Yeah, there's a worldwide shortage. They were available until somewhat recently on Amazon Prime for around £180. I guess stocks dried out.

Ok, let's see what we can do with the B535 then..
To clarify, did you buy the Poynting antenna or not? Or is it still in the returnable period? You talk about it as if you both have it and not have it. :)

Also about the antenna, how did you test the mast to the side of the house if you don't have windows that way?

What are the speeds without the antenna?

Did you try to put the router in the loft with/out the antenna?

Re wifi, it could be solved with a well placed extender.

Yeah, there's a worldwide shortage. They were available until somewhat recently on Amazon Prime for around £180. I guess stocks dried out.

Ok, let's see what we can do with the B535 then..
To clarify, did you buy the Poynting antenna or not? Or is it still in the returnable period? You talk about it as if you both have it and not have it. :)

Also about the antenna, how did you test the mast to the side of the house if you don't have windows that way?

What are the speeds without the antenna?

Did you try to put the router in the loft with/out the antenna?

Re wifi, it could be solved with a well placed extender.
Yes I bought the Poynting and I have about 20 days to return it. So I knew there was a mast there from cellmapper so I stuck my arm out the window at the front of my house holding the Poynting and I pointed it in the masts direction (so pointed it sidewards) and it picked up the cell. So I imagine if I install the Poynting on the roof, i’ll get a good signal from that mast.

Without the antenna I get speeds from 15-30mbps using the b535 rabbit ears.

I tried the router and antenna in the loft but it wasn’t great. My loft has foil like insulation covering the ceilings and walls so I think that affects the signal.

Never tried an extender, if there is a good one that can be a good solution. Do you maintain good download speed with extenders?

...a and it picked up the cell. So I imagine if I install the Poynting on the roof, i’ll get a good signal from that mast.
I tried the router and antenna in the loft but it wasn’t great. My loft has foil like insulation covering the ceilings and walls so I think that affects the signal.
In my case I also get a worse performance in the loft vs out the window. I think the house walls act as a reflector and improves the signal. I wouldn't be surprised if a professional installation won't necessarily yield better results.
Can't you DIY an installation near the window where you tested?
In my experience with EE and b535, even with line of sight you won't go over 60 mbps..

Never tried an extender, if there is a good one that can be a good solution. Do you maintain good download speed with extenders?
I usually avoid them and prefer to pull actual network cables.. But if you want things "wire-less".....
Some forum members reported a good experience, it's all I can say about it.

Sponsored Links
In my case I also get a worse performance in the loft vs out the window. I think the house walls act as a reflector and improves the signal. I wouldn't be surprised if a professional installation won't necessarily yield better results.
Can't you DIY an installation near the window where you tested?
I see. Thing is, my wall is facing towards the mast I usually connect to and the better mast is to the side of the house so I am not sure how I can swivel the Poynting 90 degrees whilst fixed to the wall. So my plan is to put it on a pole on the roof so it can face the direction of the mast which I can’t do myself. I managed to find a company who would do it for £60 though.
In my experience with EE and b535, even with line of sight you won't go over 60 mbps..
Ah ok. Tbf I used to hit 66mbps at my old address with the b535. Is this limitation because of EE or the B535? All the masts around me only run on Band 3.

What if I order the B628 to test which is in stock on Amazon? It’s similar to the B818 right?

Thanks for the swift replies

@Conspiracy you can have a go at the B628, it's certainly better than the B535, but not as good as the B818 (cat12 vs cat19). Do share with us your findings if you decide to go for it!

Re DIY one idea is perhaps to use an "arm" from one of them old Sky dishes, somehow, but I realise it can get quite tricky and even dangerous if you have to do it up a ladder etc, so I guess I wish you good luck with the professional installation.

@Conspiracy you can have a go at the B628, it's certainly better than the B535, but not as good as the B818 (cat12 vs cat19). Do share with us your findings if you decide to go for it!

Re DIY one idea is perhaps to use an "arm" from one of them old Sky dishes, somehow, but I realise it can get quite tricky and even dangerous if you have to do it up a ladder etc, so I guess I wish you good luck with the professional installation.
Thanks for the advice. Does a higher cat definitely mean faster speeds?

Also can I attach the B818 to the Poynting antenna if I decide to change my router down the line? Will it use the Poynting in addition to it’s own internal antennas

Does a higher cat definitely mean faster speeds?
No, the Mast will define the best the router can do once you update the router. Find out the mast configuration to see what if any router will improve downloads. The exception is if you know the mast is to be upgraded, then it pays to be ready router wise.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have the B535-235 and I’m with EE. I get an excellent signal 1 km away from electricity pylon mounted cell in rural location and obtain speeds between 80 to 140+ mbs and 25 to 30 up. A few months ago I tried a new Huawei B628-265 and it was poor compared to the 535 about 40% slower for some reason so l returned it. I was hoping it would use volte but it didn’t so another reason for returning it.

No, the Mast will define the best the router can do once you update the router. Find out the mast configuration to see what if any router will improve downloads. The exception is if you know the mast is to be upgraded, then it pays to be ready router wise.
By configuration do you mean the band? All the masts around me are Band 3

Yes, bands and CA. Maybe (or not) it allows you to do 3+3. B535 can't do 3+3, but maybe B628 can, if that happens, together with B628 4x4 MIMO (assuming you don't use the aerial) this could give you an edge.
Certainly worth testing and returning if it doesn't work out.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules