Sponsored Links

B535 on three - high latency

Apologies if this was already discussed, but if youput any other sim (o2, ee etc) into it, same thing happens?

I have yet to try an o2 sim but I will. Vodafone and three seem to do it and in multiple locations not just my home. It’s very odd indeed

Doesn’t occur on Vodafone - other devices seem okay as long as I’m not using all of the available bandwidth.

I experience the same issue on Vodafone (Voxi) using a TP-Link MR600. As soon as I reach a certain threshold of downlink usage (never worked out the exact point but it's before it saturates the connection) the ping will skyrocket. We've just learned to work around it but I would be curious to hear if those on EE experience this issue or not.

Does anyone think it would be worth me investing in a b818-263 to see if it improves matters for me? or do you think I’ll be stuck on the same speeds?
No point me going for the huawei 5g routers just yet because my area isn’t 5g enabled and i don’t know when that’ll happen. Plus the 5g routers are rather more pricy.

Sponsored Links
Can't see it being worth the investment.

What makes you say that out of interest? Will it not offer the better benefit of being cat19 and there for more speeds etc?
Just curious to know, I don’t have any experience of these “better” devices, especially when real world tests are probably underwhelming

What makes you say that out of interest? Will it not offer the better benefit of being cat19 and there for more speeds etc?
Just curious to know, I don’t have any experience of these “better” devices, especially when real world tests are probably underwhelming
Hi Gandi69,

I've had the Huawei 525, 618, 818, cpe pro 1 and now on cpe pro 2.
For me all these routers bar the 525 provided similar speeds.

I even messes about with external antennas with my cpe pro 1 which only made things worse speed wise.

With my current cpe pro 2, speeds are no different but its pulling in a signal double the strength of them all.

Oh and i'm future proofed for that elusive 5G whenever it decides to make a visit to North Ayrshire.

As Buggerlugs says if you are going to splash out you may as well make it future proofed for 5G rather than buying the 818, then another 5G down the line.

Just my 2p's worth.

I guess you could buy it and return it if its no improvement for you.

Does anyone think it would be worth me investing in a b818-263 to see if it improves matters for me? or do you think I’ll be stuck on the same speeds?
No point me going for the huawei 5g routers just yet because my area isn’t 5g enabled and i don’t know when that’ll happen. Plus the 5g routers are rather more pricy.
Just wait until the new masts are turned on. It shouldn't be long. They'll change your network landscape and everything you know so far from the current state will be invalid

Just wait until the new masts are turned on. It shouldn't be long. They'll change your network landscape and everything you know so far from the current state will be invalid
Don't listen to him Gandi69, far too sensible. ;)

I understand what you guys are saying but even with the new mast wont the b818 give a further improvement in speeds over the 535 I currently have?
The changes ive made to my other internet provider in regards to cost savings should effectively pay for the 818 in a few months anyway.
Did have a look at that mast yesterday and its still got no antennas on it

Sponsored Links
If, as the plans show, Three add 5G then you might as well consider a 5G router a little down the line.

The theoretical speeds (shared by all users on the cell, remember) that should be available to you on B3+B1 and the B535 is 187.5Mbps down, 37.5 up.
Depending what additionally gets installed 4G wise on the new masts would determine if a B818 would be beneficial in being able to utilise the installed technology - 256QAM/4*4mimo/B32 - if none of that gets added then the B818 wouldn't have any advantage over your B535 in terms of 4G capabilities.

I would wait and see how much of that you actually get, and if it meets your needs then you can bide your time while more 5G routers become available (and costs come down).

Kommando, have you noticed how few connections with P2P you can get at once before the download speed plummets? I think mine tops out at 150 connections, then starts slowing.
I got max of 240 sessions to 5 peers, so multiple connections/sessions. It nearly maxed out the connection but funnily enough other tablets phones and laptops were able to surf.

hree add 5G then you might as well consider a 5G router a little down the line.

The theoretical speeds (shared by all users on the cell, remember) that should be available to you on B3+B1 and the B535 is 187.5Mbps down, 37.5 up.
Depending what additionally gets installed 4G wise on the new masts would determine if a B818 would be beneficial in being able to utilise the i

thanks for the advice there, gives a good insight in to what is possible indeed
The reason I was thinking this was I can achieve 90+mbit or more on 4g via my iphone (albeit on vodafone). Naturally a 535 at cat7 cant match that so I figured the B818 would be a closer match at cat19 for an iphone and offer similar speeds perhaps but maybe not on 3 at this time at least.
A refurb b818 is about £170 from amazon which is more agreeable financially than the £400+ of a 5g Huawei offering.
Interesting to learn though that the 818 wont offer a great benefit over the 353 unless certain conditions are met by the tower.

thanks for the advice there, gives a good insight in to what is possible indeed
The reason I was thinking this was I can achieve 90+mbit or more on 4g via my iphone (albeit on vodafone). Naturally a 535 at cat7 cant match that so I figured the B818 would be a closer match at cat19 for an iphone and offer similar speeds perhaps but maybe not on 3 at this time at least.
A refurb b818 is about £170 from amazon which is more agreeable financially than the £400+ of a 5g Huawei offering.
Interesting to learn though that the 818 wont offer a great benefit over the 353 unless certain conditions are met by the tower.

Its not just the tech in the tower though, its a multitude of other things, from location topography,trees, houses, weather, available spectrum,contention, distance to mast, front and back-haul availability from the mast you are connected too etc, so yes a higher CAT router "may" help, but then you've also got interference to consider.

Overall, the CAT number of your router is fairly inconsequential when you stack up all the other reasons you're 4g can produce a low download speed.

I've seen over 100mbps on my B535 so I know its capable of it, but not since September 2019 on three.

Your providers' mast technology determines the maximum potential capacity, then the load/users share that capacity, with your devices capabilities determining what of those deployed technologies you can tap into, with environmental variables adding to the mix of what you actually end up with. With radio being a variable transmission medium everything is always in constant flux.

You can't really compare one network to another as they own different spectrum in different bands and deploy it differently with different hardware vendors with different network configurations.

Edit: for example, if you were to consider using Vodafone in the B535, and Vodafone had deployed B32 in addition to their B20 primary 4G band then theoretical download would be 225Mbps - higher than what Three can provide from their B3+1.

had my call from Three today, which i was quite surprised at as I didn't think they'd bother. Was asked to give it a while to see if speeds improve in my area, if I'm not happy in a month or two i can apparently cancel my contract and send the kit back.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules