Sponsored

Bad advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudskie

Pro Member
ADSL Backhaul exchange contention

I will disagree exchanges are not 1:1 contention on the backhaul. I will post the document here shortly describing how contention on ADSL is done. I think you will find the answer an interesting one & not what you expected.

:D

Last edited:

Teasy

Top Member
I don't think your reading my post properly. I didn't say ADSL had 1:1 contention. I said the backhaul for an ADSL exchange is not shared with other exchanges. Of course there are the rare circumstances when BT feed one small exchange from another big one to save costs. But that is not the same as Aramiska's 4:1 backhaul contention.

My point was you cannot compare the bachaul contention of Aramiska's 2mb satellite service with the consumer level contention ratio of home ADSL. Because your comparing two totally different things. Its just completely and utterly misleading.

If you want to compare contention between your service and ADSL then compare apples with apples. Comsumer level contention with consumer level contention.

ADSL Home = 50:1

Aramiska Community BB = 80:1 (at least).

Last edited:

Fudskie

Pro Member
we deliver a 4:1 contended connection max rate (not always this case) to a WISP. We do not provide the connection or infrastructure to an end user. so Aramiska supply 1 x 2MB connection @ 4:1 & 2:1 to the WISP. Bit like the backhaul exchange scenario. How the WISP gives this out & the contention it provides is up to the WISP not Aramiska. Most WISP companies usually put more than one dish in a Mesh topology to overcome bandwidth & contention issues.

ProfPete

ISP Rep
Re: ADSL Backhaul exchange contention

Fudskie said:
I will post the document here shortly describing how contention on ADSL is done.
C'mon - we're waiting...

I have a fairly good idea of how its done, but if someone knows differently....

Teasy

Top Member
we deliver a 4:1 contended connection max rate (not always this case) to a WISP. We do not provide the connection or infrastructure to an end user.
Yeah so you actually have no right to compare your service to consumer ADSL at all then. Because what you are providing is, as you say, backhaul. So your company should not compare aspects of its service with a consumer level service. That's all I'm saying.

If you do want to compare the contention of your backhaul service to Home ADSL then how about you compare everything?:

2mb ADSL - 50:1 contention - £40 per month (can be had cheaper even).

2mb sat (ARC 2000+) - 4:1 contention - £416 + WISP costs per month.

I'm not saying its a bad service. Just don't compare apples to oranges.

mp5

Casual Member
Teasy said:
Yeah so you actually have no right to compare your service to consumer ADSL at all then. Because what you are providing is, as you say, backhaul. So your company should not compare aspects of its service with a consumer level service. That's all I'm saying.

If you do want to compare the contention of your backhaul service to Home ADSL then how about you compare everything?:

2mb ADSL - 50:1 contention - £40 per month (can be had cheaper even).

2mb sat (ARC 2000+) - 4:1 contention - £416 + WISP costs per month.

I'm not saying its a bad service. Just don't compare apples to oranges.

The end user does not pay the £416 pm the cost are absorbed by the wisp who then passes them on at rerduced cost to tyhe end users, which range from £19 top £40 pm,

ppl make me laugh, if you dont like Satellite dont use it, Its
not for everyone, But it does provide and alternative to dialup when ADSL is not an option

Teasy

Top Member
mp5

The end user does not pay the £416 pm the cost are absorbed by the wisp who then passes them on at rerduced cost to tyhe end users, which range from £19 top £40 pm
I am fully aware that the £416 per month charge is the wISP charge for the satellite backhaul. I was making a point about Aramiska's misleading comparison of their backhaul contention vs consumer level ADSL contention. That has been my argument through this entire thread. So basically what I was saying is that if they want to compare the 4:1 sat backhaul contention with consumer ADSL contention then they should also compare the relivant prices (£40 vs £416).

ppl make me laugh, if you dont like Satellite dont use it
You know what makes me laugh? The fact that you obviously haven't even read any of my posts properly. I have already said many times that my problem is not with satellite broadband itself or Aramiska's service. My problem is with the shockingly misleading comparison they make against ADSL. Satellite broadband is a useful service when done right. I used it for almost a year and even with its problems it was great to get me through until ADSL apeared. But to hype the service up as superior to ADSL is absolute nonesense.

Last edited:

mp5

Casual Member
Teasy said:
mp5

I am fully aware that the £416 per month charge is the wISP charge for the satellite backhaul. I was making a point about Aramiska's misleading comparison of their backhaul contention vs consumer level ADSL contention. That has been my argument through this entire thread. So basically what I was saying is that if they want to compare the 4:1 sat backhaul contention with consumer ADSL contention then they should also compare the relivant prices (£40 vs £416).

You know what makes me laugh? The fact that you obviously haven't even read any of my posts properly. I have already said many times that my problem is not with satellite broadband itself or Aramiska's service. My problem is with the shockingly misleading comparison they make against ADSL. Satellite broadband is a useful service when done right. I used it for almost a year and even with its problems it was great to get me through until ADSL apeared. But to hype the service up as superior to ADSL is absolute nonesense.
[ Please don't write abusive messages to other forum memebers. - Robert N ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle

ULTIMATE Member
---

Last edited:

mp5

Casual Member
mp5 said:
[ Please don't write abusive messages to other forum memebers. - Robert N ]

What part of it was abusive??, I have seen far worse on this forum!! :eek:

Dan

ULTIMATE Member
If you see far worse then please report it using the appropiate button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2040)
  3. FTTC (1613)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1352)
  7. Business (1191)
  8. Statistics (1055)
  9. FTTH (988)
  10. Mobile Broadband (984)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (873)
  14. 4G (858)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (559)
  19. Vodafone (484)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules