Sponsored

Be in Cardiff?

cfreear

Casual Member
Anyone know if this is likely any time soon? Ill be off there next september to go to uni but i noticed they don't service cardiff at the mo :(

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
Weird- they have enabled Godalming exchange in the South East England with half the number of lines (11k residential) !

Strange logic ? :) maybe they think we have more money to spend down here.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Welshman

Pro Member
It is well known that we are all poor in Wales and can only afford to eat coal (while being chased by sheep).

I blame Winston Churchill.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I saw the movie Black Sheep, thus I can now fully appreciate your plight :) .

Back to the topic, it may be because there's a staggering difference in the cost of upgrading certain exchanges and sometimes there are political as well as technical complications too.

However I am surprised Cardiff isn't in yet but being a big city it's bound to be included as they expand, have you asked the ISP about it? Might be worth doing.

PeteK

ISP Rep
Seconding Mark comments, I've just done a quick look up on a Gig Les circuit (backhaul) from Godalming to Telehouse, and its circa 30K pa. From Cardiff with the same carrier, its well over 100K pa..

I can see their logic. They also take into account the average line length in the area as they will not deliver to >5km lines which also may have an affect..

The other aspect is that in a large area such as Cardiff, I understand they dual attach the central exchange and spur off to surrounding areas. While with Surrey this is easy, there are less major conurbations in short haul of Cardiff to allow them to do so.

There are obvioulsy other issues such as whether there is physical space in the exchange building and security restrictions in some exchanges. One we looked at had a high contingent of government data, and BT seem to take more care of it than HMRC and others and required partitioning within the building to allow third party kit in, which we would have had to pay for....

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2040)
  3. FTTC (1613)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1352)
  7. Business (1191)
  8. Statistics (1055)
  9. FTTH (988)
  10. Mobile Broadband (984)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (873)
  14. 4G (858)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (559)
  19. Vodafone (484)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules