Sponsored

Be* Un limited - 24Mbps £20pm - First Forum Post

dlmatthews

Casual Member
So has anyone else signed up with Be*? Or planning to? Is a lot of London enabled already, or is it just the odd exchanges here and there?

I signed up 31/08/05, migrating away from Plusnet. I'm only 400m from the exchange, so should get close to 22-24Mbps. Hopefully it will be a smooth migration!

I think its great that the trialists signed up by 18th get it for £20pm for life - I ws expecting them to put the price up after the trial! Mine is also going to work out cheap, as with their referral scheme you get 1 month free (both referrer & new customer) - some friends and family that live locally have also signed up, so have my connection set to be free for a little while :)

Be certainly look set to shake up the broadband market in the UK. I saw Bulldog & UKOnline were quick with their PR to get the message out that they too are soon to launch their 20Mbps & 24Mbps products.

MrKowz

Casual Member
im looking to get them , i got aol at the moment, i just need to get my mac address but i was looking for some comments forom some current users

Elay

I've just signed up!

i'm in Manchester and they 'estimate' that my exchange will be enabled by December...

quite looking forward to it - currently with Nildram on 2meg. - had no problems with them at all and in a way i'll be sorry to move away from them - but with me being only a few hundred yards from the exchange, the possibility of 20+ meg broadband is too tempting!

I'll be interested to hear other Be users opinions of the service.

MrKowz

Casual Member
if i want to move over do i have to cancel with my current isp first, or just give my mac address and be will sort out the transfer?

ip

ULTIMATE Member
Check the Be site first to see if you can get the service now or at a latter date

when and if you sign its a 3 months deal. payments are made 3 months in advance so read the T,C and all the small print

dlmatthews

Casual Member
MrKowz said:
if i want to move over do i have to cancel with my current isp first, or just give my mac address and be will sort out the transfer?
They accept inbound migrations using a MAC. I think their site is saying you'll need a MAC to migrate, but a member service agent will call you once you have ordered.
You only need to give a MAC now if your exchange is ready or about to be ready.

If your exchange isn't ready for a while, then they'll contact you closer to the time.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
If only it was going to be at my exchange. I know its economics but its annoying how some exchanges have about 3 different companies offering LLU at them where others haave none.

MrKowz

Casual Member
according to the broadband resource my exchange has a red status for virtual paths, prolly means if i get this i may experience problems

dlmatthews

Casual Member
MrKowz said:
dang where u at westminster?
according to the broadband resource my exchange has a red status for virtual paths, prolly means if i get this i may experience problems

1. No, I'm on the LNSTF Stratford exchange. Click the link in my sig to see where.

2. VP status' on Broadband Resource (SamKnows.com), and other exchange checkers only show the status of BTw exchange equipment. LLU providers have their own equipment and network, so the status you are looking at doesn't apply to them.

I got Bulldog connected on a third line on Wednesday (1st is my PlusNet service, awaiting migration to Be*; 2nd is my work line with ADSL straight into work). Its not that great. I sync at 8Mbps, and can get close the that speed at most - usually its anywhere between 15KB/s & 800KB/s (tending to stay around 50KB/s). Overall, its slower than my 2Mbps connection with PlusNet. And their DNS servers are useless - either taking approx 5 seconds to resolve names, or timing out, having to refresh the page I was trying to get to to get it to load. Its even worse if a site has embedded advertising linking to other web-sites (as DNS has to resolve the names for each of the frames etc, and resources it loads its images from).

Lets hope Be* proves to be better than Bulldog :)
I already have my Bulldog termination letter ready to send when Be* have connected and I'm happy with the service. ;)

ktuser

I'd just like to recount my story so far.
Applied for Be broadband on 10th Oct - missed out on the 20 pound offer but signed up to the 24 pound deal.
Got confirmation email on 14th that order has been successfully completed. Got my Be Box on the 18th Oct. Went live on 19th October. (so far so good)

I am having problems with the service. Basically I get connected. not exactly 24Mbps, but more like 10Mbps. The problem is that the connectivity is lost intermittently. I get connected and all is working fine, when suddenly I lose access to the internet. Initially I restarted the router and that seemed to work sometimes. But I have noticed that even if I don't restart the router, the connection is re-established automatically after a random time span - 10 mins to 1 hour. Then I'm online again for anthing up to one hour when I lose connectivity again.

I tried it with different PC's etc, but same problem. Have raised a ticket with Be and they have acknowledged the problem. Their emails are polite and helpful, but still the problem is not resolved.

I understand that this is a new service and these problems will get ironed out eventually - at least I hope they will. In the meantime the service is not very usable at all.

From what I understand, they are trying to increase the SNR (noise level). Hope that makes the connection more stable.

Will keep you all updated on the progress.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
I'd liek to see some sort of commitment from Ofcom aabout making LLu avaiable at all exchanges (there goes that flying pig again). Competition is fine if you live in London, Manchester etc etc but the rest of us are stuck on 512/1mb/2mb. Oh well the price for living near fields i guess.

Elay

I'm not so sure you can even include Manchester in that statement - my exchange was one of the first in the country to be enabled for ADSL (however many years ago that was...) but currently the only LLU provider on there is Bulldog.... and whilst i'm sure they're improving, currently you wouldnt catch me signing up with them.... the next best option is my current 2meg connection - not exactly the widest choice available here...

Even so, i'm sure you're right, Manchester probably has a greater chance of getting a wider choice of LLU providers than most areas... Eventually...

sennaista

Hi peeps!

I've been thinking about getting Be* internet. One issue is that I'm 4.5Km from my exchange (Isleworth). Do you guys have any idea what sort of speeds I'll be getting from Be*?

Thanks.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3667)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules