Sponsored Links

Best FTTP option for upload speeds?

Pantan1234

I’m currently with Virgin Media (350mbps) but looking to leave and find a provider with much faster upload speeds due to the nature of my work.

I’m very new to all of this but it seems my options are quite limited at the moment. I originally saw Vodafone offering 900 up and down however it appears to only be available in a few areas at the moment. I have used the Openreach postcode checker and I’m in an ultrafast full fibre area (SM4 4JS). However of the providers listed, I can only seem to get an FTTP service from BT, TalkTalk (By phone only?) and Zen however the upload speeds on these, whilst a huge improvement on Virgin, still seem to be limited for some reason. Is there a better option available to me?

At present the fastest consumer FTTP tier on Openreach is their 1Gbps (1000Mbps) plan, which is often advertised as 900Mbps (average). But that comes with a max upload speed of 115Mbps and at present that's the best you can get, unless a third network (Vodafone/Cityfibre etc.) covers your area. As for Openreach based FTTP ISP choices..

How much are you willing to pay? Cerberus offer higher upload speeds of 200Mbps and 150Mbps on their business FTTP packages:

Sponsored Links
OP, you can get 1000/220 on Openreach FTTP if you're willing to pay £100s per month. But, depending on where you live, it might work out cheaper to get a dedicated leased line with 1 Gig down/up speeds. Otherwise if you don't want to spend the required money, then you're 'stuck' with 1000/115 I'm afraid.

At present the fastest consumer FTTP tier on Openreach is their 1Gbps (1000Mbps) plan, which is often advertised as 900Mbps (average). But that comes with a max upload speed of 115Mbps and at present that's the best you can get, unless a third network (Vodafone/Cityfibre etc.) covers your area. As for Openreach based FTTP ISP choices..

For a larger covering provider then yes Openreach FTTP is best.
But if you are in York,parts of Dewsbury or Hollins Green in Warrington/Salford then you get FTTP via TalkTalk on the old Fibrenation network with speeds 1000/1000 which is still in effect.

The OP does not live in a Fibre Nation area.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's searched about the 220Mbps upload speeds available on Openreach FTTP.

We can resell Zen Internet Business, BT Wholesale One, TalkTalk Business, BT Global and Vodafone FTTP. All portals advise that 1000/220 is available but 1000/115 can only be ordered at maximum.

No idea why the portals advise the upload speed of 220 is available but can actually only do up to 115 upload. I'd happily pay the additional £5-£10 p/m wholesale pricing for the 220Mbps over the 115Mbps as that is still significantly cheaper than a leased or additional leased line.

Sponsored Links
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's searched about the 220Mbps upload speeds available on Openreach FTTP.

We can resell Zen Internet Business, BT Wholesale One, TalkTalk Business, BT Global and Vodafone FTTP. All portals advise that 1000/220 is available but 1000/115 can only be ordered at maximum.

No idea why the portals advise the upload speed of 220 is available but can actually only do up to 115 upload. I'd happily pay the additional £5-£10 p/m wholesale pricing for the 220Mbps over the 115Mbps as that is still significantly cheaper than a leased or additional leased line.
When I searched the only supplier that offered the faster uploads was Cerberus & it was a *lot* more than 10 or 20/month, [just checked for my line (rural Openreach fttp, no other options) & it's £200/month + £600 install but it is available, so if you are in an OR area it's probably available for a cost] . I suspect there is relatively little demand and people who have that sort of line make use of it so there is a significant backhaul impact when compared with most users. If you resell what do the suppliers say when you ask your account manager?

This is a strange old thread to rehash all of a sudden.

Are you a reseller them?

I take it you have never been able to order the 1000/220 or the 500/165 fttp service for your customers?

Both have excessive installation fees from Openreach, it's not just a £5-£10 difference a month, there's a couple of hundred pounds installation fee as well, £300 - £400 upfront last time I checked.

Sponsored Links
Both have excessive installation fees from Openreach, it's not just a £5-£10 difference a month, there's a couple of hundred pounds installation fee as well, £300 - £400 upfront last time I checked.
I have wondered what the justification is for that ‘installation’ fee. It presupposes that Cerberus pay Openreach (or is that BTW on the backhaul) to do something (different) for that speed tier.

I could hazard a couple of things but if anyone knows for certain it would be good to find out for sure what this is for.

😅

Can't see it changing anytime soon considering their new >1G trial services only come with 120 upload

No idea why the portals advise the upload speed of 220 is available but can actually only do up to 115 upload. I'd happily pay the additional £5-£10 p/m wholesale pricing for the 220Mbps over the 115Mbps
The wholesale cost difference is way, way higher than that. From the Openreach FTTP GEA pricing page:

* 1000/115 has a standard connection fee of £103.32+VAT and annual rental of £394.80+VAT (=£32.90+VAT per month)
* 1000/220 has a standard connection fee of £500+VAT and annual rental of £1,009.68+VAT (=£84.14+VAT per month)

So, almost triple on the rental, and five times higher on the installation. Portals advertise 220 because the line is technically capable of it, but there's only one ISP I know that resells it (Cerberus).

There's also a 500/165 tier, but that is nearly as expensive (£500+VAT install, £694.08+VAT annual rental, all at wholesale).

At retail with Cerberus, the 500/165 monthly rental costs the same as two 1000/115 lines - plus you have the hefty install fee. It would be possible to buy two separate 1Gbps lines and bond them together, although that is a faff to do properly (the ISP must support it, your router must support it, and you'll probably end up with two ONTs and two holes in your wall, unless you're lucky and Openreach supply a four-port ONT)

But if I were you, I'd take 1000/115 instead of 500/165, pocket the difference, and have an extra cup of tea while doing large uploads :)

Sponsored Links
It would be possible to buy two separate 1Gbps lines and bond them together, although that is a faff to do properly
…I remember posting something similar last time this topic came around. Good on paper. Harder in reality 👍😎

I have wondered what the justification is for that ‘installation’ fee. It presupposes that Cerberus pay Openreach (or is that BTW on the backhaul) to do something (different) for that speed tier.
Cerberus do have to pay an extra ~£400+VAT to Openreach to activate this service (whether BTW pass that on unchanged, I don't know).

As to why Openreach charge it: one explanation is that they really want to discourage take up of these services, possibly because of the additional PON contention they'll cause. Similarly, they may have in mind that these services may have to be moved to a separate PON if they're using a lot of bandwidth. The extra install cost goes towards a new OLT port and an extra splitter and/or CBT, should that be required.

Also, they may have in mind that these services may have to be moved to a separate PON if they're using a lot of bandwidth. The extra install cost goes towards a new OLT port and an extra splitter and/or CBT, should that be required.
Did wonder something similar. Is that based on known unknowns or unknown unknowns? 😂

Pure speculation - unknowns all the way down. If we can ever find someone who's actually bought this service, we might get an answer :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules