Sponsored

Biscit & Breathe!

Cold Fusion

Breathe are offering Biscit customers MAC codes free of charge if they do not wish to migrate to Breathe, or to stay with breathe under new packages as above. Remember the contract periods and cancelation during this period incurs a fee.

You wont be able to request a MAC from Breathe until we are migrated to them, sometime this week. Obviously from naims post this process is underway as the email servers have been moved but the actually connections have not.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Ah I see, thanks Mel.

What happens to those who dont do anything. Are they put on the most appliciable breathe contract, or just sent an email and if they dont do anything, their connection will die?

curtis

Top Member
Hi All you guys out there

It appears that B.T / Breathe have not solved the problem in hand as my adsl connection keeps dropping every 60 seconds? this is no joke and the stress it is causing this should not be happening and ofcom are failing us again in not ensuring that B.T. & Breathe are carrying out this work as not to cause so much stress to customers of biscit/v21/naims.:hrmph: when is this ever going to end & when are we going to broadband providers who are going to put the customers first and not the shareholders and not rip us off for £70 migration fees and tie us to 12 month contracts. broadband has become a nightmare because we have become unsure of whom to go with? They are as bad as the government make promises & never keep them???:mad: :(
I recommend a friend to naims last year who uses his internet to keep in contact with his family due to him having his voice box removed due to cancer now he is going to be without internet service and no way to contact his family? by the way he is 75 years young? but the mind of a 25 year old!!:drool:

TheBestPolicy

You what?

Does it cost £70 to migrate from breathe?

Unless breathe has actually bought the contracts of customers?

No, it's £70 if you want to "migrate" to Breathe from Biscit/V21.

Of course, it's really to cover to cost that Breathe have to pay for each customer.

Cold Fusion

I dont mean to sound disrespectful but you should consider yourself lucky curtis. If someone hadnt had stepped in when Biscit went into administration we would have had to have cessations on all our lines and then reconnections, which would give us probably 2-6 weeks downtime. I know its frustrating, especially if your a business but i assure you it could be alot worse!

Hopefully Marcus got some sleep last night and will come on soon and keep us posted.

As for the packages on offer, they are reasonable, not many companies offer 1 month contracts and atleast they are giving the option to migrate.

I think the £70 fee is if you cancel your contract with breathe

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Ah I see, thanks Mel.

What happens to those who dont do anything. Are they put on the most appliciable breathe contract, or just sent an email and if they dont do anything, their connection will die?

I would expect their connections to be ceased, If someone doesn't respond they can't be put into a contract without their consent and Breathe can't be expected to pay for their connection indefinitely.

I guess one posibility before ceasing lines is that Breathe might put up a garden wall with contact details & details of whats happening on connections that haven't migrated to them to.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I dont mean to sound disrespectful but you should consider yourself lucky curtis. If someone hadnt had stepped in when Biscit went into administration we would have had to have cessations on all our lines and then reconnections, which would give us probably 2-6 weeks downtime. I know its frustrating, especially if your a business but i assure you it could be alot worse!

Hopefully Marcus got some sleep last night and will come on soon and keep us posted.

A cesasation usually seems to take 7 days.

It is not unknown for a fresh actiavation after a cease to take 5 - 6 hours (yes hours!) with 3 -4 days being very common and BT allowing anything up to 10 working days.

So 12 days seems to be about average with 21 days for the more unfortunate (remoter exchanges I'd guess) and an indefinite wait when BT or a wholesaler makes a cock-up.

As for the packages on offer, they are reasonable, not many companies offer 1 month contracts and atleast they are giving the option to migrate.

1 month contracts are not unusual if you are migrating to an ISP:-

Off the top of my head AOL (if you opt not to receive the free wireless router), most entanet resellers (UKFSN, ADSL24 etc) and Zen come to mind and (I think) also IDnet and possibly newnet (haven't read the last two's T&C's so I'm not 100% certain). Eclipse also used to do a one month contract for migrations if you requested it, but I don't know if that is still the case.

Last edited:

fontwell

Pro Member
Dial up

Thats funny, over the weekend there were some extra details about dialup posted on the biscit/breathe update page, as a seperate link, which have now gone.

The present charge of £4.99 was to continue but with a £7.99 set up fee.

I raised a couple of questions on page 12 here but had no reply.

So I have repeated them in an e@mail and will post the answers.

Has the v21 forum now gone ?

Skip_intro

From Marcus way back on page 3 (pwhar, wot a stunna, etc., etc. :p )

"If all the customers took a line with us and then left the following month, it would cost us a lot of money and make my shareholders fairly unhappy, which I generally try to avoid.

Clearly, whether or not the customers stay with us is down to how well we can service them and how competitive our offerings are, but we do need some protections in place.

We are considering three options:

1. We charge customer a migration fee to cover the cost of migrating their line to us. If they leave quickly, it will not be too painful;

2. We impose a minimum contract so that customers will stay long enough to avoid the whole thing being a cost to us;

3. We put in place a termination fee.

My preference is probably for the first option, because it means customers know exactly where they are - if they decide that they do not like us, they can leave easily and without too much difficulty. I know it is a matter of personal choice, so we could give customers options (e.g. pay migration, no minimum contract / no migration, no contract)."

Bon Chance, all you ex Biscit-eers, pay £70 up front for an unknown service but you can jump ship quickly, or tie yourselves into a 12 month contract for an unknown service...

flojo

"I appreciate your frustration at the way you were handled by Biscit/V21, and we are trying our best to quickly put a solution in place to manage a smooth migration of their customers as best we can.

We need to charge a set-up fee to cover the creation of a new account for you which will involve a lot of manual intervention due to the shoddy nature of Biscit's customer records and account details.

In addition, Breathe Networks will have to pick-up some of Biscit's debts for every customer that comes over, so nothing has been handed to our company on a plate!!!

We think that it is a small price to pay to migrate to a solid, reliable service, but if you are not happy with our packages we will make sure that we give you the help that you need to move elsewhere.

I hope that this answers your question, even if it is not the answer that you were hoping for!"

My reply from Breathe (within an hour!) in answer to why they want to charge a £7.99 set up fee. They also said do nothing yet until we are told to go ahead.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member

Whoa there. Im pretty sure breathe are not doing it out of the goodness of their own heart. Im rather sure its for business, not to bail a load of people out.

Nothing wrong with that at all. But dont make out people should be grateful for it.

Now what is good, is when the reps (and CEOs!) actually tell people whats going on. Its very good of them to come into forums and answer questions.

And Im probably being thick, but I dont understand whats happening to biscit customers. There seems to be conflicting posts.

Ok. So, if Im a biscit customer, and I want to choose my own ISP (not take the breathe packages), what exactly am I paying?

Do I get a MAC for free from Breathe? Or do I have to just let the line cease.

I guess what Im trying to say, is that can biscit customers get out of this for free while choosing their own ISP?

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum and just want to say that Breathe have done one thing Biscit never did: talk to its customers and get an idea of what they wanted. Forums are wonderful places and Biscit should have spent time on this one to get to know the customers and what they wanted.

Unfortunately, the one forum resource Biscit inherrited (the V21 forum) was ignored and unfortunately appears to have finally gone down for good (as spotted by Bobm on http://www.ispchatzone.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=521&PID=6482#6482).

Sure, V21/Biscit/Breathe customers can chat on some of the generic forums such as this one, Think Broadband or my own - but is there a forum at Breathe that customers can subscribe to and ask questions about products and service directly?

Forums: home of the humble troll but worth their weight in gold! ;)

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Ok. So, if Im a biscit customer, and I want to choose my own ISP (not take the breathe packages), what exactly am I paying?

Do I get a MAC for free from Breathe? Or do I have to just let the line cease.

I guess what Im trying to say, is that can biscit customers get out of this for free while choosing their own ISP?

If you were a customer you'd be able to request your mac as soon as they (Breathe) take control of the maxsurf/biscit.net authentication realms. They are not allowed to charge for a mac, so it would be free.

http://www.breatheinternet.com/biscit

What if I do not like your packages?
If you do not want to continue your service with breathe, then you can request a MAC code to allow you to move to another service provider. We will ensure that you get your MAC code within 5 days of requesting it

I would guess until Breathe take over the realm (which may have happened by now) then technically you could ask the administrator for your MAC code, or contact your wholesaler (BT Wholesale or Eurisp) if the administrator is not able to provide one (which seems likely to me).

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Hmm, ok. So its free if you want to leave right away with your MAC. Thats good.

So why does it cost £69.99 to transfer to breathe? Im very confused.

First point - I would have thought they have to pay for the customers if they are staying with breathe or not. Otherwise, they would be charging for the MACS.

Second - Why does it cost so much, people migrating to breathe are presumably using MACS, so unless they absorb the cost of MACs to start with, thats costing breathe nothing.

Third - theres no activation cost, as they are presumably migrating over.

So does it really cost £69.99 to transfer someone over, just because the records are in a mess?

How much does it cost an ISP to migrate someone over from another?

And if breathe have bought biscit, is there really any migrating?

Its all a bit odd.

I would just like to point out, people shouldnt be so calm just because a CEO posted in here. Ive seen a few CEO's, MD's etc post about their ISP, and it hasnt always gone rosy.

curtis

Top Member
What we all need to know from Breathe is the following:

that is as to just how much is it going to cost all biscit /v21/naims customers as it has been hell since 15/11/06 what with mis-management & shareholders & being lead up the garden path with their promises & failures and I think Breathe went in to admin just over 12 months ago?? so whats to say it may not happen again with them:shrug: How much longer are ofcom going to standby & allow this this to go on. we should have uniform pricing set for all ISP's otherwise it it is just one big ripoff?:mad: and charging £69.99 for migration

Last edited:

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
My advice, get your MAC and be careful. 12 months contracts are not all bad, compared to some that offer 1 month 'contracts' (which charge a huge fee for leaving within 12 months!!).

Bascially, look at all the small print, and see how much you will be charged for leaving in total.

ellison

Well broadbands now on ,though as naimspeople mentioned ,the mail servers down :(.
From my own point of view the up to 2 meg package is now pretty much reasonable.AOL does it for £14.99 12 month contract and ukonline does it for the same but theres a £25 activation fee for thiers.If i do choose to go with breathe i will be paying an extra £1.50 odd a month ,however if the network is good then i can put up with that.Anyone know how good their network is?.Im just wondering if thousands of biscit customers all joined up ,would thier network still cope with good speeds etc?.I know some ISPs have grown to quick without the infrastructure to take the extra customers.
ellison

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Well broadbands now on ,though as naimspeople mentioned ,the mail servers down :(.
From my own point of view the up to 2 meg package is now pretty much reasonable.AOL does it for £14.99 12 month contract

If you have a mac code and bring your own modem/router then you can migrate to AOL on a one month contract (with no migration fee) http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/switch.adp?promo=228937&promoCode=228937

No minimum contract when you bring your
own AOL supported modem

It is also possible to negotiate 2mbps for £9.99, or so some new customers have said.

The only snags with AOL is that they are throttling connections in the evening at the moment (It is unclear if this is a temporary measure eg while they merge the networks or what) and their first line support is based in India.

Also some cashback schemes eg Quidco & rpoints offer a discount (cashback) if you join through them.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4220)
  2. BT (3183)
  3. Politics (2152)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1998)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1872)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1632)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1400)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1302)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1252)
  14. Fibre Optic (1247)
  15. Wireless Internet (1246)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (926)
  18. EE (922)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules