Sponsored

Biscit hosting help ... please?

VTTV

Casual Member
All

Firstly, why did I only find this site, and all the useful comment & info after Biscit had gone "phut"!! If only I'd found you all earlier. Ah well.

I have a question that I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a simple, easy to follow, "for dummies" style of answer ...

Biscit are/were my ISP. Luckily (after phone line problems - not really Biscit's fault - last year) I also have a wireless connection, so I still have internet access. However, I'll still get my MAC code on Monday and move to another phoneline based ISP. That's not my problem.

I also used Biscit to register a domain name, and to host email for that domain name. The addresses relating to that domain name are my primary email addresses, and they've been non-working since mid last week. Which is my problem. The previous webmail service is also phut.

I need to transfer the domain hosting away from Biscit. As Biscit are now n/a, they obviously can't provide the usual transfer help of redirecting the name servers ... so how do I go about it? Can I move a domain name away from Biscit's name servers without Biscit's involvement? I guess I also (first?) need to remove Biscit as the Registrant's agent for the Domain name (via Nominet?).

How can I do the above ASAP to get my critical email addresses working again?

If I were to use BT Broadband as my ISP, could I also transfer my domain name into them and use their hosting services, or do I need to use a dedicated hosting service?

TIA - for any/all help, suggestions, advice!

Tony

Ronaar

Biscit used FASTHOSTS for hosting services. Have a look at some of the hosting sites as most of them will arrange a free transfer if you are going over to them.

Smoothound

ULTIMATE Member
You may need to contact Nominet as the current registrant agent has to release the domain, as biscit don't exist any more there's no one to release it.

You could try the administrator, but I doubt you'll have any joy there.

PeeJay

Top Member
Contact Nominet. It will only cost about a tenner to have the tag changed to another hosting company. You'll need to provide them with some proof it's your domain e.g invoices, emails, whatever.
I had the same problem when Fast24 went tits up. I couldn't even use my domain email at that time 'cos the entire F24 network had disappeared. However, I could give Nominet copies of emails to my domain which they accepted as proof of ownership. FWIW I transferred my domain to 123-reg.co.uk but there are others out there.
Hope you get things sorted out.

VTTV

Casual Member
Thanks for the replies.

Nominet form downloaded, filled in, and on its way to Nominet. £10 paid. So, hopefully I'll be able to move the domain name elsewhere sometime soon.

Biscit were fairly good for years. Good tech support. Prompt responses to enquiries. Even 6 months back, they were pretty helpful in trying to resolve a physical line problem (ie not their problem / fault at all).

I was a happy customer.

Where did it all go wrong? :mad:

VTTV

Casual Member
Just to close this one ... all done & sorted, and a lot less painful that I expected it to be :cool:

Domain transferred in 2 days via Nominet, email addresses now accessible once more, so I can point them where I choose (Gmail for now) while I pick another mail host.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2537)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1677)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1259)
  8. Statistics (1113)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1059)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (923)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (871)
  16. EE (606)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (535)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules