Sponsored

Biscit Update!

Smoothound

ULTIMATE Member
Your right Mel I distinctly remember it stating their new slot on Wednesday 14th at 8pm on the web page.

ellison

Best thing to do is get a gmail account, they provide pop access and an SMTP server, you can also use gmail's smtp server with other email accounts (you have to register them within gmail first) which is handy if you use an ISP like mine that blocks the standard SMTP port preventing me from using my other accounts authenticated SMTP servers.

http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

Thanks for that...signed up and all working.Took me longer to set up as i didnt realise i couldnt send an email to myself using gmail from my mail client,until i read it at AVG forum (wanted to set email scanner up with gmail).
All working now though so thank you again.
ellison

kelbag

Christ!!!! I only found out BISCit went bust after reading this, no wonder I haven't been able to get through to chase my MAC code. I just want to say thank you to everyone for all the information thats been provided. Especially to Paul who helped me with quite a few problems in the pre biscit days, at least I think it was you.
I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where everyone stands, up to date I've contacted watchdog, Ofcom and Eurisp to see what response I get. At least the only problem I've got is no V21 email which is a pain, I thought things were going a bit shameless when a second direct debit for my internet appeared on my bank account without me signing anything. Needless to say it got quickly cancelled.

kelbag

Hi Kits, at least thats a relief to know. By the way for anyone who hasn't realised it yet if your account ends with @maxsurf.net then you are with Eurisp. From the way i read it that means everyone who were taken over from V21 and didn't upgrade their account with BISCit.

ellen

Casual Member
BT refuses MAC codes

I contacted BT wholesale today and they are refusing to give us MAC codes. They will be in touch with us. We have to wait.

Hope this saves some of you the cost of a call.

andyk0903

Casual Member
BTw

I contacted BT wholesale today and they are refusing to give us MAC codes. They will be in touch with us. We have to wait.

Hope this saves some of you the cost of a call.

But the number to BTw is a freephone number! So, surely they will just get inundated with calls and then decide to release MAC codes? (or, they may cut us all off??)

Last edited:

Iggy

Just a quick thanks to everyone active on the forum for this invaluable commentary. I am one of the ex-V21 customers accessing via MAXSURF so at the moment still have a connection . The loss of email has been a problem, especially when trying to set up webmail accounts etc as nearly everything needs a live email account to confirm activation.

I too have managed to contact OFCOM, Watchdog and EURISP over the last couple of days in hope that this prompts someone to send out a MAC code. So far all I have received is the standard "thank you for contacting us" reply.

I know it is a case of wait and see but hope this sorry saga is resolved soon.

ptanser

Hi
This is my first post

I requested my MAC code from Biscit on the 15th of Feb

I needless to say still have not got it.

I have spoke to OFcom a number of times and they the carrier will give me the MAC.

I have spoken to Your Communications and they have said that EurISP will give me the MAC

I have spoken to EurISP who will NOT give me the MAC code.

After reading the press release this morning from EURISP I am confused as they are the wholesaler/supplier that OfCOM / BT / Your Communications had said that they should give me the MAC so how can EurISP now say they are not in a position to do that.

Surely its just a case of typing my ADSL number, username and address into their computers and getting a code.

I have been waiting over a month for this now (Biscit told me on the 1/3/07 that it was being dealt with) funny how they went into administration 4 days later.

Cold Fusion

This is the paradox with network providers. The wholesaler provides the MAC codes to the ISP to which it is only really any use to them anyway. They will tell you to contact your ISP if you want a MAC code, however who do you contact when you cant contact your ISP ? OFCOM, who obviously didnt think too much about roleplaying thier new regulations as even though the Wholesalers have some responsibility into providing MAC Codes I believe this only applies to the relationship between ISP and Wholesaler and not between Wholesaler and end user.

This means at the moment there is no way to provide customers with no ISP contact, MAC codes.

In this particular case there are additional legal issues surrounding ownership of the customer base of both V21 and Biscit and thier VISP's and thier interactions so even if Wholesalers could under regulations give us MAC codes, legal problems may slow this process down.

and the wholesalers good will of providing us with internet access, will not last forever.

csj

Gmail SMTP

In response to the suggestions of Mel and Ellison about using Gmail, I have a Gmail account but am unable to send it via V21 - I receive the usual "relaying is not allowed" receipt.

Could someone tell me how to set up Gmail to be able to send it via Outlook Express when connected to V21(or any other ISP). I have tries changing the SMTP settings to that of Gmail without success.

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
This is the paradox with network providers. The wholesaler provides the MAC codes to the ISP to which it is only really any use to them anyway. They will tell you to contact your ISP if you want a MAC code, however who do you contact when you cant contact your ISP ? OFCOM, who obviously didnt think too much about roleplaying thier new regulations as even though the Wholesalers have some responsibility into providing MAC Codes I believe this only applies to the relationship between ISP and Wholesaler and not between Wholesaler and end user.

This means at the moment there is no way to provide customers with no ISP contact, MAC codes.

In this particular case there are additional legal issues surrounding ownership of the customer base of both V21 and Biscit and thier VISP's and thier interactions so even if Wholesalers could under regulations give us MAC codes, legal problems may slow this process down.

and the wholesalers good will of providing us with internet access, will not last forever.

We are hoping to hear some good news later today those wo are using the maxisurf login details have emergency cover for faults and will have internet supplied until they are moved to a new ISP. BT are working in the background to try and find a resolutioin to this issue.

If I hear anything I will post it on the forums for you.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
In response to the suggestions of Mel and Ellison about using Gmail, I have a Gmail account but am unable to send it via V21 - I receive the usual "relaying is not allowed" receipt.

Could someone tell me how to set up Gmail to be able to send it via Outlook Express when connected to V21(or any other ISP). I have tries changing the SMTP settings to that of Gmail without success.

Have you tried following the instructions here (or gmails autoconfiguration tool)?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276&hl=en_GB

Basically you need to set your mail client to send using SSL and select port 465 for the SMTP server and enable POP access in gmail

If you want to use gmail's SMTP server to send emails for another email account log into your gmail web account and select settings-> Accounts
and add the email address (you will be sent an email to authenticate the address).

Smoothound

ULTIMATE Member

First login to your gmail account.

Click Settings (top right corner)
Click the Forwarding and POP3 tab
Make sure you have one of the Enable POP boxes checked in section 1
Section 2 self explanatory
Section 3 click on the link "Configuration instructions" for instructions on how to setup your mail client.
Remember to click Save changes.

andyk0903

Casual Member
Just had an email back from the Administrator of Biscit (Tony Thompson). Quote:

To get your MAC Code telephone BT Wholesale on 0800 169 9576

End Quote

That was all the email!

Thanks for nothing!

kelbag

Wow, thats useful but then i wouldnt expect number crunchers to be interested in helping the little folk, their main priority is making sure the tax man gets his first.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4220)
  2. BT (3183)
  3. Politics (2152)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1998)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1871)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1632)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1400)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1302)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1252)
  14. Fibre Optic (1247)
  15. Wireless Internet (1246)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (926)
  18. EE (921)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules