Sponsored

Blocked email and blacklists

Zaphod

Hi, I have been with Eclipse internet for some 6+ years even have phone with them, It has a period of bad customer services but the line performance has always been excellent.

But recently I and my family members have been getting rejected mails from Comcast in USA (a big ISP but far from the best, words from my friends and family in USA). when I questioned Comcast about this all I got was a stock answer saying its the new policy to block ISP if they get Spam from them, I did point out its like blowing up the ford car factory because someone in a ford truck crashed into your car.

So I turned my attention to eclipse, they were very sympathetic and said they would get back to me as they will look into it. 24 hours later an email was received stating this has now been resolved and normal delivery will take place in 3-5 working days.

After one month it was the same thing so I contacted Comcast again via a backdoor to annoy them and eclipse who suggested I use the secure email services they offer (at a price). I pointed out I do not intend to pay to use a service because they have not prevented spammers and zombie machines from sending Spam..

I resorted to using one of my domain mails to send to Comcast, but thought, I'm giving in to Comcast, so I blocked them from my domains and 16 others I have control over. Now Comcast are complaining to me. Back to the point, I am going to leave eclipse purely for the issue of the mails and the fact that honey pot project (I am an active member) are now displaying more and more IP addresses from eclipse very close to my two.

UKFSN was a close choice for the service change as they offered 24mb downloads 1.3 or 2.5 upload (I run game servers) and at a comparable price (slightly more expensive) and was able to resolve a technical problem I have lived with since eclipse. I was under the impression its a one man band running as part of a larger group. So can anyone tell me if UKFSN are as good as I think they may be and does anyone else have mail issues with eclipse?

Sorry it’s a long one, but I’m not known for one line posts to get post credits.

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
Many years ago I signed up with UKFSN, who were an Enta reseller. I found them (basically Jason Clifford at that time) OK, however I keep seeing negative posts over at the Enta forums on ThinkBroadband. I'm not sure whether I would recommend them or not even though, in reality, you are probably signing up with Enta(or LLU C&W?) who are a reasonably large company. :hrmph:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l cant say lve experienced this issue with my own email addresses because l use Gmail. however as a webmaster there are many providers who block emails..

within six months of becoming a large forum we noticed that quite a few providers were starting to block email notifications and validation emails. most notably they were AOL, Verizon and "Comcast" all of which stated allot of spam was coming from our addresses, however while they blocked email from our server/scripts we used Gmail and used our server email addresses as forwarders which meant we got around issues as they likely blocked emails coming from specific IPs associated with our servers and most annoyingly they were quick to pick up on IP changes when we moved server a few times.

regardless l am all for stopping of spam BUT l am against services blocking whole domains because they have decided that its spam, this prompted us to block all of the offending providers because it got so hard to cope with all the users complaining that they had signed up to the community and were not receiving emails to validate their accounts, tho it wouldnt have been so bad if l was getting paid to do support for the site LOL.

DTMark

ULTIMATE Member
When I operated mail servers, I did put in place complete domain blocks, but only on investigation of the domain itself to see what it was e.g. I didn't block entire ISPs.

If it is Comcast's policy to do this, the risk you face is that they will do the same to your new ISP, or indeed have done so already. It isn't a very discerning policy.

If I have this right, though, you're sending email to family who use Comcast who are bouncing your emails - so the problem is in the US, and resides with your family and with their choice of ISP and it is perhaps they who ought to be doing the complaining, or changing ISP if they're "far from the best"?

Or, they remain with Comcast, and you both use GMail and don't use either side's SMTP/POP mail servers.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Sadly this sort of thing is quite common and it perhaps wouldn't be such an issue if consumers had an easy way of finding out whether or not they had been blocked, which doesn't exist. I've had plenty of similar situations myself where spam on somebody else's account has indirectly affected other connections due to shared IPs or dynamic IPs that get moved over to a blocked IP.

Most of the time this happens because somebody's computer has become infected and is spewing out spam, which might be tackled if the customer was actually told about it. Unfortunately there's a lack of central communication so often ISPs don't even know (the blocking server won't tell them one of their IPs has been blacklisted) until a customer complains, yet the customer might not know because the message itself often doesn't return an error. Fun times.

Suffice to say that this is one reason why I have 3 different personal email accounts on 3 different services. If one doesn't get a reply then I can always try another. Most of those also use secure connections, which makes blacklisting less likely. So I wouldn't strictly blame Eclipse Internet.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2529)
  2. FTTP (2251)
  3. FTTC (1673)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1443)
  6. Openreach (1429)
  7. Business (1257)
  8. Statistics (1109)
  9. FTTH (1103)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (599)
  18. TalkTalk (584)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules