Sponsored Links

Blocking numbers

Does anyone know of a house phone that either password protects the keypad, or block numbers?

One of my kids has been ringing premium rate numbers and left me with a £300 telephone bill :confused:

If you phone BT they might help if you know the nimbers you wish to block.
My phone will not accept 0891 numbers.
Just a suggestion which may be worth a try.

0891 is one of the old premium rate codes. As far as I know, these were replaced some time back with 09 numbers to make the customer more aware of the charging band numbers are in.

01, 02, 03 - geo numbers (or for 03, non-geo charged the same as geo)
04 - was pagering, unsure as to use now
05 - VoIP and some old 0500 mercury numbers
06 - no marked usage
07 - mobile and "personal" numbering
08 - free phone, national services
09 - premium rate

To the OP, you can request out going call barring from BT. I seem to recall that you can have a permanent bar for certain types of numbers and also a PIN system that you can bar everything and then only unlock when you need to use the phone.

Freephone, operator and 999 are never barred.

Matt

Sponsored Links
When I was with Talk Talk, I asked them to bar outgoing calls to mobiles and premium rate numbers, which they were happy to do.

I would be surprised if BT weren't able to do the same.

They do :)

Call Barring*

Prevent your phone from making certain outgoing calls.

Available as part of a Calling Features Pack

£2.59 a month

Call Barring lets you decide which types of calls can be made from your phone so you're in control of who uses it and how. To make calls to any of the barred numbers, you'll need to enter a PIN number first.

Please note: you can still make international calls using operator services when you bar your phone.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25504

back a few years ago, a similar situation happened, and my mates parents installed this thing which pretty much screwed in over the main phone block which had to have a key to unlock to make any outgoing calls.. tho emergency 999 calls were allowed to be made all other outgoing calls were blocked.

Sponsored Links
My problem is sky. Trying to get them to block premium rate numbers is like headbutting a brick wall. The only solution i can think off is a home phone that passwords the phone, or has the ability to block indevidual numbers

My problem is sky. Trying to get them to block premium rate numbers is like headbutting a brick wall. The only solution i can think off is a home phone that passwords the phone, or has the ability to block indevidual numbers

I think premium rate number blocking is a pretty standard feature in pay phones (eg http://www.dabs.com/products/generic-solitaire-desktop-payphone-5C3Z.html) , but they're a bit ugly and expensive; although I guess being able to make your kids pay to use the phone could be considered a benefit. :)

I don't know how effective it is, but certain models of Panasonic DECT phones (eg KX-TG842 range) have a call restriction feature -

Setting call restriction
You can restrict selected handsets from
dialling certain numbers. You can assign
up to 6 phone numbers to be restricted,
and select which handsets are to be
restricted. Storing area codes here
prevents the restricted handsets from
dialling any phone number in that area
code.

see the instruction manual here - http://dlc.panasonic-europe-service...DF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=KXTG8421E

They also have an incoming call barring feature, where they won't ring for programmed numbers, which would be handy if like me you receive a lot of marketing/"telesurvey" calls.

BT blocked outgoing 09 numbers free for me many years ago. Dont know if they charge now for this facility now

Sponsored Links
The Panasonic phone is well worth it, a well designed DECT phone with up to 50 yards range, and can be bought as a set of upto 4 handsets, cheaper than buying individually..
The main feature 'incoming call barring' is called 'night mode' that ensures it will ring only for numbers in the phone book.

BT blocked outgoing 09 numbers free for me many years ago. Dont know if they charge now for this facility now
BT used to do it for free, then starting to charge for the service; not sure what they do these days as I ditched them as a useless Wunch of Bankers 15 years ago.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules