Sponsored

breathe and ecosse.net

rodaire

This may be of help (for a while) to anyone wishing to use their Ecosse/Breathe email account to send mail.

I have been making many attempts to send email from my PC through Thunderbird as I was doing when Ecosse was unadulterated, to no avail because Breathe had blocked Port 25. This appears to be common practice among ISPs.

However, this morning after searching for a solution, I tried altering the SMTP settings to make the SMTP server address 'smtp.breathe.com' instead of 'mail.ecosse.net' and IT WORKED!!! Leave the Port set at the default of 25.

Of course this will not help any other external sender to transmit email to your Ecosse account address but at least it helps to send mail from Thunderbird etc. If you have another email address you could specify in your email header 'Reply to ....(your other email address)'

tinman

Casual Member
breathe messing up ecosse.net email

I'm in the same situation...eventually they sorted out my web space but now my email (and everyone I know who is with ecosse) is up the swanny. web mail doesn't even work either.

Phoned breathe today and the phone rang for ages and ages before being picked up and slammed back down again...Looks like the new owners of eccose have landed us with a complete donkey of an isp....

I had my reservations when I first got the email from calico that it was moving to breathe as it says on the breathe web set that they have been in administration several times in the past.....

Luckily I have other email accounts I can use (yahoo etc) but my mum doesn't know too much about pcs and is absolutely livid that she can't send emails anymore to family overseas.....

tinman

Casual Member
tried smptp solution to no avail....

This may be of help (for a while) to anyone wishing to use their Ecosse/Breathe email account to send mail.

I have been making many attempts to send email from my PC through Thunderbird as I was doing when Ecosse was unadulterated, to no avail because Breathe had blocked Port 25. This appears to be common practice among ISPs.

However, this morning after searching for a solution, I tried altering the SMTP settings to make the SMTP server address 'smtp.breathe.com' instead of 'mail.ecosse.net' and IT WORKED!!! Leave the Port set at the default of 25.

Of course this will not help any other external sender to transmit email to your Ecosse account address but at least it helps to send mail from Thunderbird etc. If you have another email address you could specify in your email header 'Reply to ....(your other email address)'

Doesn't work with outlook express I'm afraid.....the webmail is not working either just get an error message.....

alexgray

Ecosse saga

HELP!!! I have changed what you said but am still unable to reach the server?? This is the message that comes up.... what do I do now???

They stopped/closed the outbound server again for quite some time, and the help started saying it would be fixed tomorrow night (that was Monday), then Tuesday night, then they said next Monday (19th) - now they are claiming it is all sorted, which it definitely isn't.

The server is working (and was yesterday) perfectly well in that both the POP3 incoming and SMTP outbound servers accept connections and exchange mail properly. However, there is only a dribble of incoming mail getting through - I would normally received upwards of 40 emails in a day, but have had only 3 today. Tets mails ent from one ecosse accoutn to another this afternoon was accepted by the SMTP server but has yet to arrive!

What a hopeless shower - I hope Calico etc can sleep at nights with the thought of how they dumped us all in it.

Alex

tinman

Casual Member
as of today my ecosse.net email seems to be working. old messages still haven't appeared and it seems like when you use eudora or outlook express read messages are being deleted from the server...hope the option of changing this appears soon....

my mums ecosse email seems to be working again too...is everyone elses?

cedritos

Casual Member
ftp details

What are the new ftp details?

I've tried lots of combinations but to no avail. (Now the free phone number doesn't work)

Host: ftp.sites.ecosse.net ?

User ID: the full email address ?

Password: what it was before ?

Is there are non standard port number?

Thanks in advance, this has been driving me mad.

tinman9898

Breathe Ecosse account ftp details Calico sent me..

Received the first set of details from Calico and the second from support@ecosse.net .......

I can confirm that we've had confirmation from Breathe as to your new FTP
settings, they are as follows:

URL: http://sites.ecosse.net/insertyourdetailshere/
FTP server: ftp.ecosse.net
FTP username: yourownusername
FTP password: yourownpassword

Here is the email I received about telephone number and email settings...

Dear Ecosse Customer,

We are delighted to advise you that breathe have now taken over full control of your service including email and connection. This email is to inform you of our
contact details and information you require in order to continue with us.

Your webspace has already been moved to us and we hope you are accessing your files successfully.

In order to continue your connection you will need to ensure you are using the correct dial up number to connect to the ecosse.net 0845 service. To do this
please check your current 0845 number is:

0845 662 1034

This number will continue to be charged via your telephone provider at the local rate. To check these costs please contact them direct.

This can be done by opening up your existing connection and overwriting the 0845 number to the above. You can continue to use your username and password
to dial up.

For your email account please ensure you have the following settings in your email client:

POP3 Server: mail.ecosse.net
SMTP Server: mail.ecosse.net
Username: full email address (eg breathe@ecosse.net)
Password: email address password- please note this is case sensitive.

For webmail, please log in with your email username and password at: http://webmail.ecosse.net/

For webmail on your mobile phone, please log in with your email username and password at: http://webmail.ecosse.net/mobile

For webmail, please note that any new email received after the above date will be shown in your Inbox. Email stored in your old account will be transferred over
at a later date. Please bear with us while we complete the work to ensure a smooth migration of your old email.

Your address books have been transferred and this information will show in your account.

Should you need to contact us if you have any problems with connection or email our support agents will be happy to deal with any queries on 0901 023 0373.
Calls to this number are charged at 60p per minute and lines are open 9am-9pm Monday-Friday and 9am-6pm Saturday and Sunday.

We hope you are able to amend your details successfully and trust you will enjoy the breathe service.

Kind regards
Customer Services

Hope the above is of some help...I would also check that all your files are present, after the transfer, a lot of mine were missing and I had to reupload them once I had eventually received the ftp details...

Last edited:

tinman9898

breathe and ecosse web mail is different...

Have you tried posting a message on Breathe's forum ?

Log in to your webmail [ http://www.breatheinternet.com/webmail.php ], and then click on the forums button at the top.
so I don't think this will work...the webmail for Ecosse is at the following location...

http://webmail.ecosse.net/

and here....

http://www.ecosse.net/

I don't think Breathe have actually taken over ownership of Ecosse but are mearly hosting the service on their servers for the new owners..

I am finding that my email works intermittently.

It worked perfectly again Sunday went wonky yesterday.

I can receive with entourage but I can't send. Sometimes I've been able to send via webmail, but not at all today. I've tried everything recomended on this forum. The error messagealways says server will not allow ....

So basically I take it to mean they are not allowing out going messages. Can anyone tell me if I'm correct?

Is this ever likely to be corrected????

tinman9898

I've emailed Calico. :crap:

I have no problems using ftp (at the moment anyway)
what settings are you using and which ftp client? I'm using ws_ftp LE...

with the following settings...

host name address : ftp.ecosse.net

host type : automatic detect

user id : first part of email address (eg yourid@ecosse.net user id is yourid)

password : your password for ecosse.net email

tinman9898

email

I am finding that my email works intermittently.

It worked perfectly again Sunday went wonky yesterday.

I can receive with entourage but I can't send. Sometimes I've been able to send via webmail, but not at all today. I've tried everything recomended on this forum. The error messagealways says server will not allow ....

So basically I take it to mean they are not allowing out going messages. Can anyone tell me if I'm correct?

Is this ever likely to be corrected????
Yes I've found that too...it works ok for a while, stops working then starts working again.... I'm using eudora...

cedritos

Casual Member
I have no problems using ftp (at the moment anyway)
what settings are you using and which ftp client? I'm using ws_ftp LE...

with the following settings...

host name address : ftp.ecosse.net

host type : automatic detect

user id : first part of email address (eg yourid@ecosse.net user id is yourid)

password : your password for ecosse.net email
I'm using Fetch on a Mac (I used to use ws_ftp). I've tried all combinations but have come to the conclusion that not having a functioning email account has probably made Breathe think the ftp account was obsolete. (It says username unknown when I go to remote.ecosse.net and try and login to my mail. The inbox got filled with spam and I haven't used it the last 8-12 months)

I wouldn't even mind if Breathe wiped the site-it's very very annoying that someone will see incorrect information on my site and that I can't do anything about it.

email address was

therowans.roxburgh@ecosse.net

so login

is

therowansroxburgh (used to be therowans.roxburgh)

host

is

ftp.ecosse.net (used to be ftp.sites.ecosse.net)

and I've not changed the password

tinman9898

ftp not working

I'm using Fetch on a Mac (I used to use ws_ftp). I've tried all combinations but have come to the conclusion that not having a functioning email account has probably made Breathe think the ftp account was obsolete. (It says username unknown when I go to remote.ecosse.net and try and login to my mail. The inbox got filled with spam and I haven't used it the last 8-12 months)

I wouldn't even mind if Breathe wiped the site-it's very very annoying that someone will see incorrect information on my site and that I can't do anything about it.

email address was

therowans.roxburgh@ecosse.net

so login

is

therowansroxburgh (used to be therowans.roxburgh)

host

is

ftp.ecosse.net (used to be ftp.sites.ecosse.net)

and I've not changed the password
Yes, it can be frustrating, I completely understand what you mean. After the changeover, pages and pics were missing from my ecosse site and i couldn't fix it as Breathe didn't send me the info for the ftp settings. I ended up emailing calico and they contacted breathe and sent me the details.

Have you tried both sign in versions of your name?

i.e with and without the full stop in the middle?

Have you tried accesing your email from the webmail page?

http://webmail.ecosse.net/

If you pm me through this forum I'll try and help you out with this as far as I can... If your email address still works I don't see why you shouldn't be able to access your site unless, as you say breathe have wiped it... tried using your id in a url but got page not found, can you post the correct url so I can see if I can access your page....thanks

Thank You O Great One

THIS WORKED FOR ME TOO AND I USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS SO I'M HOPING YOU'VE FOUND THE ANSWER. MANY THANKS!!

tinman9898

unable to contact breathe.

there seems to be no way of contacting Breathe other than an extortionate 60p a minute phone line. I tried contacting them with the new email address on the ecosse.net sign up page (admin@ecosse.net) and got the following response... the link they provide is incorrect as well it should read...

http://www.breatheinternet.com/ecosse

It would seem that the new owners of ecosse have blundered big time by transferring to breathe they have gone from a well run efficient company to a complete 'donkey' of a service provider, who are only interested in extracting as much cash as they can from you by providing a shoddy service and forcing you to pay them to complain about it...

Thank you for your email!

If you are contacting us regarding the recent switch-over of Ecosse email services, please visit

http://www.ecosse.net

or

http://www.breathenetworks.com/ecosse for information on the migration.

You will also find contact details for Customer Services if you have any problems.

This email ID is not monitored, and so you will not receive any further response to your email.

Regards,

Breathe Networks

Last edited:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Does anybody have a copy of the e-mail or original announcement about service migration from ecosse to Breathe? Also, which service does this concern, is it just the 0845 local call rate dialup one? I'm trying to get some background on the issue to help me investigate.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2204)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules