Sponsored

Breathe providing internet until 10th now

ziggycat

Pro Member
And so it does...but the signal that you are getting via wireless is coming from where...and that is connected to what?.....Think about it ziggycat ;)

I must be a bit thick I still don't get it, I loose 1 meg with wireless compared to wired?

Its router to laptop with either a wire or not.

crash79

Pro Member
I don't presume to be a computer expert, but I think that with a wired router the signal is going direct, but the wireless signal is dependent on the quality of the signal, since it is travelling through the atmosphere, so to speak.

zag5

ULTIMATE Member
copied from http://www.cnet.com.au/broadband/wireless/0,239035991,339273383,00.htm

Compared to wired networks, a lot more variables affect the speed that you can achieve on wireless networks.

Generally, on wireless networks the closer your computers are located to each other and the wireless router, the greater your transfer rate. So transferring files between computers in different rooms is usually slower than transferring files between computers in the same room. This is because 802.11g (Wireless-G) signals have some trouble travelling through solid objects like walls, furniture and the like. Also, Wireless-G operates on the 2.4GHz spectrum, so you may get interference from Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, amateur radio and, even, microwaves because they all operate on that spectrum.

So, I'd recommend the following:

* Move your computers closer to the wireless router or move your wireless router to a more central location.
* Turn the signal strength of your wireless router up.
* Ensure that there are only 802.11g devices on your wireless network. Backwards compatability with 802.11b or 802.11a devices will slow the network down significantly.
* Ensure that nothing else on your wireless network is doing a large data transfer. All devices on a wireless network share the available bandwidth, so if someone else is doing a large transfer, the bandwidth available to you is a lot less.
* Try using a different channel (there'll be a setting in your router's configuration page) because you may be getting interference or pollution from other nearby wireless networks. This is especially true if you live in the inner-city or in an apartment block.

jertzy

well.....April 14th and connection still going strong. Hope Sky can sort their end out before the connection fails.

Anyone got an ETA on when/if Eurisp/Breathe will close the loophole?

jertzy

finally changed ISP a week ago & now getting 3MB connection. On the downside I was without Broadband for a week because of Sky's policy not to send out the router until you are connected (on the connect package). I complained via email & got a £20 credit on my a/c so thats another 4 months free ....so I still aint paid anything since November. Oh I also now have two routers from Sky..!!! Good luck to anyone still struggling.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2188)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1602)
  5. Politics (1421)
  6. Openreach (1415)
  7. Business (1234)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1034)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (895)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (594)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (514)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules