Sponsored Links

Broadband or not?

philmossuk

Casual Member
2 years ago my daughter complained that she couldn't get broadband via copper to box on her street....despite it being a built up residential area in South London..SE23 2AE.

A year ago I spotted a BT Van and staff (Open Reach I think) working on a house opposite hers. I asked her to check again, she did & still no go. 9 months ago I spotted similar van and staff at a house 4 doors away. This time I spoke to one of the team who told they were fitting BT Broadband.

I told him about my daughters situation and he stated that sometimes there a disparities between BT's Technical & Marketing databases, but he couldn't direct me towards a telephone number or contact point.

Checked again & according to BT still no go.

Other than my going potty, have you any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks

Try a different ISP other than BT they will normally go just off what the systems tell them.

Does the property have a phone socket in it already?

If you contact an ISP some know how to use the formwize which makes Openreach check the address and add to database, also you can contact Openreach themselves to get them to check.

Sponsored Links
That's contradicting what you originally said that they couldn't get broadband at all, what you mean is FTTC. Samknows says that FTTC is available, you need to try a different ISP but it could also be there's no capacity left to add additional FTTC users without a upgrade being done.

Try a different ISP other than BT they will normally go just off what the systems tell them.

Does the property have a phone socket in it already?
That's contradicting what you originally said that they couldn't get broadband at all, what you mean is FTTC. Samknows says that FTTC is available, you need to try a different ISP but it could also be there's no capacity left to add additional FTTC users without a upgrade being done.
Sorry for inaccuracy....I meant fibre, she can only get BT 10MB line deal, and then in lockdown lucky if she realistically gets 5mb. She has husband and two children working from home...the BT engineers I spoke to were fitting fiber to box.

Thanks for your help and interest.

Historically, BT Retail are TERRIBLE at communicating with OpenReach/BT Wholesale; you will get better results from talking to a smaller ISP like Zen, AAISP, Aquiss etc.
There is a small chance; if the line is VERY old, that it doesnt go to the cabinet, but straight to the exchange; those lines are a big issue.
If that is the case, she will need a new line that comes from the cabinet.
AGAIN, talk to the smaller ISPs, BT retail charges A HUGE mark-up on the OpenReach costs for fitting a new line.
When my new line was fitted, Aquiss billed me £50 +VAT (£60); BT wanted £150 +VAT (£180) for the exact same new line, fitted by exactly the same OR people.
Except BT said the earliest appointment was 2 months down the road, and Aquiss got it done in 10 days.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules